Chameleon skeletons

I love this kind of stuff! I'm an x-ray technologist and going into MRI soon so I love seeing anatomy..so interesting! I love to be able to see what my little guy looks like on the inside, amazing. Thanks for the pics!:)

Another nice little male, an adult Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii. It's a wild caught with an old fractured rib.

Attachments

• trioceros_jacksonii_jacksonii.jpg
    trioceros_jacksonii_jacksonii.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 297
Happy new year everyone :)

This is a Calumma parsonii female. She was about two years old and suffered from a completely malformed spine since hatched. Maybe you can see the "double headed" ribs and notice those very crazy shaped vertebrae. Some seem to be flat residues and others have strange appendages. But this chameleon could climb around without problems, was cared for quite well, she only had an somewhat odd looking back. In the end she probably died from heart failure. The spine unfortunately wasn't the only organ to be malformed inside her body.

Attachments

• parsonii1.jpg
    parsonii1.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 320
  • parsonii2.jpg
    parsonii2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 258
  • parsonii3.jpg
    parsonii3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 287
I'm glad there are still people enjoying the pictures and learning about those fascinating creatures. :) Wasn't my idea to continue this thread over years at the beginning, but as long as members love to see new work...

Unfortunately, I had not that much time the last months. Up to date, I'm trying to preprare a young rattlesnake and a small monitor lizard. Hopefully those will be ready soon, then I can go on with another melleri female.

I'm glad there are still people enjoying the pictures and learning about those fascinating creatures. :) Wasn't my idea to continue this thread over years at the beginning, but as long as members love to see new work...

Unfortunately, I had not that much time the last months. Up to date, I'm trying to preprare a young rattlesnake and a small monitor lizard. Hopefully those will be ready soon, then I can go on with another melleri female.

YES we enjoy them and please continue the thread. I have a male calyptratus that has been in the freezer for 10 years and one day I swear I will try and make a beautiful skeleton chameleon. I have read the whole thread, I understand how you clean the bones and you say you use a jewelry glue, any other tips ? I think you should create a blog tutorial on how to make a chameleon skeleton :) although Im sure mine will be more like Picasso than yours :/

Are you the same person asking me for chameleon skeletons. I thought the work you showed me through email was phenomenal!

I also have a melleri in the freezer, I'm waiting until I move to clean him up and mount him, so I am very interested in seeing how your female melleri turns out.

Tkilgore, I am not that person. But Im sure whoever they are will appreciate your compliment..

My wife still doesn't know what is in that bag in the freezer I hope she doesn't get too curious one day

A crazy question

I found this site today trying to get an unusual question answered.

I'm wondering if a paleontologist can tell whether a reptile could curl its tail based on just the bones.

My first thought was to see if this can be seen in chameleons since we know they can curl their tails. But no one on the web seems to care about mentioning this, so I decided to look for some people who would care!

I see that chameleon tailbones are very tiny, but can you tell they are shaped to curl up? or are they more or less the same as other reptiles and it all depends on the ligaments and muscles?

It was delightful to find this thread and all I can say is, herzlichen Glückwünsche, Alexl! Was für tolle Skelette. Dass hat bestimmt eine Menge Arbeit gemacht.

Hi Celebrianne,

of cause you can tell from the bones whether an animal can curl its tail or not in principle. Vertebrae have different shapes and variably formed appendages in different species, thereby you can identify a species by its vertebrae - or at least, you'd have a quite good hint which animal it was. A chameleon's tail can only be curled downwards, but not more than a slight bow to the other direction due to their vertebrae appendages. Muscles and ligaments are big part of the functional use, of cause; but the main part is made by the vertebrae form. I'll take a look for some pictures of different spines from snakes, chameleons and other lizards.

It was delightful to find this thread and all I can say is, herzlichen Glückwünsche, Alexl! Was für tolle Skelette. Dass hat bestimmt eine Menge Arbeit gemacht.

Thanks, yes it was a lot work. :D

Are you the same person asking me for chameleon skeletons.

It wasn't me. :D

Thanks for the quick response

I figured you could tell from the bones, but I've never run into information saying as much.
Looking forward to your pictures, and thanks again! :)

I'm still watching and enjoying too :) What species of monitor? Now I'm looking forward to your new work even more.......

Back
Top Bottom