Chameleon skeletons

A little girl made in January, a Trioceros deremensis female. I really love Trioceros heads, they're the most beautiful ones to prepare. And this species got this nice tall back ridge, too (crest? I don't know the right term in english).

Attachments

• collage_copyright.jpg
    collage_copyright.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 461
please do a male jackson's eventually :3 their skeletons are soo unique and their horns add a very unique look to the skulls :)

Does any one know this alex?
I have been trying to get in contact with her, but never heard from her.
Any one know her?

Yes, some german chameleon keeper know me... :D

I don't know how you tried to get in contact with me, but I didn't get any e-mail. Maybe you tried the @hotmail-adress, that's the one I never use. I'll write you a PM ;).

To leave not only words this June... These are pictures from a male Furcifer pardalis, which had a real awful stomatitis, but I couldn't help him anymore. His whole head was just porous bone and pus. In fact, he had lost his right mandible, there are no teeth anymore in the left maxilla, his nose tip was completely disturbed and the bridge was rather a big cavity filled with pus and covered with skin. On his left mandible you can see a stage of inflammation beginning to break the bone.

What you might take as a message from this poor chameleon: Never say "It's nothing special, I don't need a vet yet" if you found anything looking like a little lesion in a chameleon's mouth.

And for comparison only, a picture from a healthy Furcifer pardalis head.

Attachments

• socke2.jpg
    socke2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 357
  • collage2.jpg
    collage2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 293
This is great!! im not sure how you are doing this with all of those tiny bones but props to you!!

would any of these happen to be for sale? one would look great on my mantle!!

would any of these happen to be for sale?

No, I don't sale any of them :eek:. Some of the skeletons stay with friends of mine (e.g. an Archaius tigris or the little Kinyongia). But I'm not a professional taxidermist and don't make money out of it. That's just a hobby.

Another adult Chamaeleo calyptratus male. Take a look at the little swelling between upper teeth and nostrils, that's a bone neoplasm.

Attachments

• schaedel_veraenderung.jpg
    schaedel_veraenderung.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 276
When u dip the bones with muscle still attached into the hydrogen peroxide, do u let it sit in the peroxide for awhile or just dip it and then scrape with the scalpel?

OMG! Thank you for all the pics!!! So just wondering is it posible to pay you to do that if Sunny ever passes away (Not anytime soon but it's going to happen) I was actually talking to my boyfriend a few weeks about perserving them and here you are showing off your awesome skills! :D

that is different, tim burton may call you to work on his version of Rango, stay by the phone!

Need to correct myself. Two years ago, I said it's probably not possible to prepare something smaller than a Furcifer lateralis. Last autumn, I prepared some Archaius and I told people that it would be much more difficult to do a smaller chameleon. Well, it's possible either way. That's a Rhampoleon spectrum pictured below.

When u dip the bones with muscle still attached into the hydrogen peroxide, do u let it sit in the peroxide for awhile or just dip it and then scrape with the scalpel?

Depends on the bone size. I first try to scrape as much muscle as I can in bigger chameleons as Furcifer pardalis or Chamaeleo calyptratus. Then I'm dipping it once shortly, not longer than a second or two maybe. The muscle will start to bubble and foam. I'll let it dry and then go on with scraping and dipping.

You can only leave few bones inside 30% hydrogen peroxide for more than some minutes. Especially tiny heads (young chameleons, Kinyongia spp., Bradypodion spp.) are going to break into their bone parts. I added a picture of a Kinyongia head divided into its parts... that's nothing you really want to puzzle :D. You need to gain experience in time you can leave a bone inside the hydrogen peroxide, but you can simply begin and try some seconds with cleaned skulls or bones. If the result wasn't that white you wanted it, you leave it inside some minutes more. That's what I do and it works mostly. I'm curious to see some results if you tried this method.

Attachments

• rhampi_komplett_copyright.jpg
    rhampi_komplett_copyright.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 309
  • kinyongia_zertruemmert.jpg
    kinyongia_zertruemmert.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 280
Really neat! Its really cool to see the tavetana skeleton since that is probably my favorite species. Really cool to see it disassembled. Thanks for sharing:)

Here's some special preparation. It's the vertebral column of a very old Chamaeleo melleri with spondylosis. Some vertebrae already had ankylosed. I give you a picture of a healthy column from another chameleon to compare. Just for those who want to learn and don't see naked columns regularly ;).

Attachments

• melleri_spondylosen1.jpg
    melleri_spondylosen1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 222
  • calyptrat_normalews.jpg
    calyptrat_normalews.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 255
This is pretty neat I actually collect skeletons. (they're not killed for their skeletons) I recently just saw a strange nosed chameleon on the website. It was pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom