Chameleon Non mean hiss?

Daniel266jz

Avid Member
I was holding my chameleon and giving him his daily mealworm treats which he loves and will go onto my hand to chill and eat without any problems and i pet his chin flap (as I like to call it) and he usually likes it or doesn't mine but today he hissed at me and opened his mouth but only a little and the hiss sounded more like a squeak when I went to pet him again. He didn't get into defensive mode and he did not turn any dark color and he didn't even extend his chin flap out to look mean and big? What does it mean? That he simply was done being out? Because after he wouldn't get off my hand? Only then did he get a coloration of black and brown and yellow spots over his nice month green color. He's a baby by the way. About 3-4 months I'd say.

I was holding my chameleon and giving him his daily mealworm treats which he loves and will go onto my hand to chill and eat without any problems and i pet his chin flap (as I like to call it) and he usually likes it or doesn't mine but today he hissed at me and opened his mouth but only a little and the hiss sounded more like a squeak when I went to pet him again. He didn't get into defensive mode and he did not turn any dark color and he didn't even extend his chin flap out to look mean and big? What does it mean? That he simply was done being out? Because after he wouldn't get off my hand? Only then did he get a coloration of black and brown and yellow spots over his nice month green color. He's a baby by the way. About 3-4 months I'd say.
Mint*

I'd swap the mealworms for superworms.
Mealworms are less nutritious and have harder scales that can cause impaction.

I think something just spooked him out.
I have had my chams loose their cool when I handled them without an obvious reason before.

Sharpie has different types of hisses, depending on what point it is he wants to get across. Like if he is actually pissed and you need to back off, his hiss is long, aggressive, and comes from deep in his chest. If he is not mad, however, not amused and maybe slightly irritated, it is softer, not as much effort put in to and much shorter. Sometimes he will hiss just to get my attention too. If I'm standing close but busying doing something else he'll give me what sounds more like a huff or puff, for lack of better words, just 1 quick exhale. I will look over at him to see what thats about and he usually just wants the door opened up. So if your asking if its possible for him to have a non-aggressive hiss...IMO, absolutely

Sharpie has different types of hisses, depending on what point it is he wants to get across. Like if he is actually pissed and you need to back off, his hiss is long, aggressive, and comes from deep in his chest. If he is not mad, however, not amused and maybe slightly irritated, it is softer, not as much effort put in to and much shorter. Sometimes he will hiss just to get my attention too. If I'm standing close but busying doing something else he'll give me what sounds more like a huff or puff, for lack of better words, just 1 quick exhale. I will look over at him to see what thats about and he usually just wants the door opened up. So if your asking if its possible for him to have a non-aggressive hiss...IMO, absolutely
my cham is cool unless hes really mad, doesnt really hiss to get out of the cage although i wish he did that :rolleyes: cooper has only hissed at me once or twice and once on a cricket, i dunno why but hes always chill and not really doing anything besides sitting in his basking spot, hes quite the funny, lazy cham.. gotta love em

My male has his grumpy moments. If he doesnt want me in his cage cleaning he puffs up and gives small hisses to let me know hes not happy. If he is really not in the mood I get the full blown hiss and lunge. If I dont back down, he will go out of his way to try and bite me lol.

mine always does short hisses.He never even opens his mouth.Its more like a snort. He does this almost daily. But never gapes at me or tries to bite. He does gape at my Luna(bearded dragon) occassionally whenI have her out on the bed with me. He doesnt like her one bit.Other than that he is usually a happy camper as long as I let him on his free range once a day.

Back
Top Bottom