Chameleon is very dehydrated. afraid he might pass.

He has made it through the night!
he looks to have his color back, but he is no where near his normal self.
It looks like he has MBD, but that can't be I don't think, he's only 4 months old.

but he can't support himself and struggles to move his legs.
I've been keeping him warm and watching him, he hasn't opened his mouth for water since last night.

His urine is white though, he released it twice, so he got plenty of water last night.

I will try the blending of crickets here soon.
I've put a meal worm in front of his face and mouth and let it crawl around, and he just stares at it.

Thanks for the support and I'll keep you guys updated.

any more advice would be wonderful

Hope he's doing better. I would try the bug juice. I also had a vet tell me to just put what you would feed him for the day) Gut loaded crickets worms dusted and a little veggies) in a blender with just enough water to make it loose enough to feed with the dropper and force feed until he starts eating himself. This was for a water dragon but same idea I think. Hopefully you can see the vet today and get help. make sure after you feed he gets the uvb and warm (so he can digest) for 4-6hrs.

So happy for you. You are amazing by the effort you put in so far. As said before, please lower the basking heat first. Maintain a misting schedule of 4-5 times. And I would suggest (different from others) hand feeding before any force feeding, because it can create additional stress.

It can be very troublesome to handfeed and test your patience as he might not take it right away given the condition he's in. Just be patient. You did a great job so far.

I will probably blend the crickets with water here soon.
I think he is incapable of eating. He can barely move.
It's been awhile since he has eaten, like I said, and I wish I would have caught on earlier, but it is what it is.

The vet is not open till tomorrow, so if he can make it through today and tonight hopefully, they can do something for him.

Does anyone have a 'recipe' for this bug juice?

I can run out and get things if I must, I want to give him what is best.

Do you think feeding him is going to give him the strength back to move ?(slowly)
if not, what else can I do ? because hydration is no longer the problem.

Sorry I can't give you a direct link to the bug juice...but its in the thread in the Health forum titled "won't eat???".

Also...when a chameleon is that sick and opening its mouth its often because it's trying to get air...so be very careful if you are trying to feed or water it.

Last edited:
Just blended "Zillas vitamin spray" with water and a dozen large crickets.

I force fed him 3 'drippings' of that and then set him on his towel under his heat lamp and misted the cage with hot water.

Probably an another hour I will repeat.

We'll see what happens.

Really hoping all is going well with your little guy!!!
You said he might have MBD,,,,you have been giving his feeders a shake up with calcium powder right???

Really hoping all is going well with your little guy!!!
You said he might have MBD,,,,you have been giving his feeders a shake up with calcium powder right???

It LOOKS as if he has mbd, but there is no way that he could have it, he is only 4 months old? and I have only had him for 2 weeks.

yes he had dusted crickets, but he stopped eating crickets all together.
yes he has uvb.

But he can't hold himself up, he just falls over and lays there.
he sometimes tries to move, but barely gets anywhere.

Im hoping this 'bug juice' will give him the strength to move around, otherwise i don't know what to do

hi i hope your cham makes it. put it on a plant and give him the shower treatment with warm water ,dont let the water hit him direct.
also with a dropper put a few drops along his mouth line opening.good luck

From the look of this Chameleon he has had problems for some time. Do you have a vet that you can take him too? Perhaps an injection of SQ Lactated ringers solution may help as well as multiple vitamin and Vit. A all of which a qualified vet can do for you. I have actually used a "feeding needle" that i use to nurse some of my smaller birds to get food directly into the chameleons stomach. I take crickets, unflavored liquid Pedialyte and mix in a blender. This makes a slurry that is easy to digest and may give your chameleon some energy. I think the best bet is to find a vet and take him there as soon as you can. Best of luck , i know this is hard to go through . Ruth

IMG_20120930_191249.jpg

Is this anything?
i noticed that his vent has turned blackish/greyish, could this mean anything ?

Did your little guy make it? I realize this was a few months ago. You did a wonderful thing staying up all night with him. I'm sure he knows/knew that he was really care for. These chams are so delicate. Always a challenge to keep healthy.

Back
Top Bottom