Chameleon Is always dark!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, male, 4 months, I have had him for 3 days.
Handling - I have not handled him yet, and do not plan to for a while until he settles into his new home.

Feeding - I am feeding him 8-10 crickets a day at around 12 after he wakes up at 9:30. I gut loaded the crickets with carrots and collard greens by just putting it in the cage they are in. I also have given my chameleon 2 horn worms one on the first day I got him, and one the third day.

Supplements - The reptile store I bought him at told me to buy Repashy superfoods calcium plus vitamin and calcium supplement, and Sticky tongue farms calcium/mineral supplement for indoor reptiles and amphibians phosphorus free with vitamin D3. When I asked how to use it He told me to switch off each day between those two. I know this is wrong, and Also I plan to order new supplements because they both have D3 in them. Is this correct?

Watering - I use a handheld mister. I don’t necessarily must for a set time, but I must until every plant has water droplets on it which takes around a minute or so. I mist everywhere in his cage, and also use a dripper which stays on all day. I have only seen him drinking water from the dripper, not from the plants. I mist once when I wake him up, and once i’m the evening around 4-5. Both of the water types are distilled water.

Fecal Description - He has only pooped 2 times, and the first day it was a cream color but today it was white. He has not been tested for parasites.

History - When I got him from the reptile store he has a dark colored “scar” from a healing cut about the size of a pencil eraser. The workers told me they had not even noticed it in the two weeks he had been at the store, as it had not affected his health. They said it should heal as he grows and sheds. I will attach a picture of it.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30 medium size since he is only 4 months.

Lighting - Repti Basking spot lamp 75w and mini deep dome lamp fixture, and for UBV the Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14.

Temperature - I have the basking lamp at the top of the cage , so it gets cooler at the bottom.

Humidity -I am unsure of how to check the humidity level exactly, but I mist two times a day and have a live plant.

Plants I have one live plant it is a pathos. I rerooted it in Eco Earth coconut fiber so there was no fertilizer balls. I also placed baked rocks over the soil in case he goes near it.

Placement- His cage is in my bedroom on a table that is about feet tall. I am generally quite or not in my bed room a lot during the day. I only play music in my room, which is still not blaring loud. No one else goes in there, but I guess since I did get him recently my family has been coming in my room to look at him.

Location - I live in North Texas.

Current Problem - My chameleon has been dark, not blue how he was at the store. I just want to make sure i’m during everything right so he has the best health and home possible. It might be that he is adjusting to his new home, but it still worries me.
Thank you!

I posted pictures in the order of: Kodak at the store, him at my house, my cage, a picture of his sore if you zoom into his stomach, and another of his cage.

Attachments

• EBA21583-7A69-4957-8AC8-4ABAC77966DC.jpeg
    EBA21583-7A69-4957-8AC8-4ABAC77966DC.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 7DF79126-B7BA-4026-A1C7-12C7F686EB6D.jpeg
    7DF79126-B7BA-4026-A1C7-12C7F686EB6D.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DB87B3D9-C1CB-4963-9BE7-2AAE9772AF30.jpeg
    DB87B3D9-C1CB-4963-9BE7-2AAE9772AF30.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 95
  • 204562D1-843D-4629-98EA-F7D98FF3FAF0.jpeg
    204562D1-843D-4629-98EA-F7D98FF3FAF0.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 8A22923F-7BC9-4A0C-97A8-711C45EC71A1.jpeg
    8A22923F-7BC9-4A0C-97A8-711C45EC71A1.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 90
Hi! Im sure others will jump in, but we talked about the supplements and i would personally stop the d3 and cal plus and go with a more traditional supplmentation/rotation: plain calcium every feeding (i put a little bee pollen in with a lil calcium and lightly dust/shake). Then rotate once every weekend between a multi v and d3. Skip the d3 next weekend (or two) as hes probably getting too much. So this sat, nothing, next sat mv, sat after that calcium w d3, next sat mv, etc. i moved away from repashy to repcal and i really like it.

Your enclosure could use some more branches and climbing space. You can get some (relatively) clean, dry, fallen branches and put them right in the cage. I squirt mine off with the hose and a little Dawn first, some people throw it right in.

A few live plants will help with humidity, hiding spots, and climbing area. Making the enclosure a little fuller might make him feel a little safer over time.

You can get a temp/humidity probe on amazon cheap... id get two and put one up on basking area and one midway. You dont want temps too hot at basking or he may burn himself, and too cold hes not able to function properly. That little scar you mentioned is probably a thermal burn from getting too close or too hot near the basking bulb.

Whats at the bottom of your cage?

It sounds like you’re already doing your research and Im sure others can hop on here to offer advice.

He may be dark because he is cold - but dont go adjusting the temps much if you dont know what rhey are currently. Or he might be stressed from the change. My guys typically hid in the plants for a few days when they first came home - super scared. Theres not a lot of palces for him to hide right now.

I’d keep an eye on him for behavioral changes but if he’s eating, drinking, and moving around here and there - watch him and give him a few days to settle in.

Hi! Im sure others will jump in, but we talked about the supplements and i would personally stop the d3 and cal plus and go with a more traditional supplmentation/rotation: plain calcium every feeding (i put a little bee pollen in with a lil calcium and lightly dust/shake). Then rotate once every weekend between a multi v and d3. Skip the d3 next weekend (or two) as hes probably getting too much. So this sat, nothing, next sat mv, sat after that calcium w d3, next sat mv, etc. i moved away from repashy to repcal and i really like it.

Your enclosure could use some more branches and climbing space. You can get some (relatively) clean, dry, fallen branches and put them right in the cage. I squirt mine off with the hose and a little Dawn first, some people throw it right in.

A few live plants will help with humidity, hiding spots, and climbing area. Making the enclosure a little fuller might make him feel a little safer over time.

You can get a temp/humidity probe on amazon cheap... id get two and put one up on basking area and one midway. You dont want temps too hot at basking or he may burn himself, and too cold hes not able to function properly. That little scar you mentioned is probably a thermal burn from getting too close or too hot near the basking bulb.

Whats at the bottom of your cage?

It sounds like you’re already doing your research and Im sure others can hop on here to offer advice.

He may be dark because he is cold - but dont go adjusting the temps much if you dont know what rhey are currently. Or he might be stressed from the change. My guys typically hid in the plants for a few days when they first came home - super scared. Theres not a lot of palces for him to hide right now.

I’d keep an eye on him for behavioral changes but if he’s eating, drinking, and moving around here and there - watch him and give him a few days to settle in.
I agree, also make sure to position the plants so the chameleon can get right up next to the uvb(within 8 inches or so). The more coverage the more comfortable they seem to be. Thanks

Temps will be important - you need the basking spot between 85-90. Take into account he is a few inches tall, so the temp might be a few degrees warmer at the top of his back. I shoot for the low number. Especially as I have had personal experience with a bulb/fixture fluctuating and my temps got too high and my guy got burned. So I personally aim for the low number in that recommendation/range.

Temps will be important - you need the basking spot between 85-90. Take into account he is a few inches tall, so the temp might be a few degrees warmer at the top of his back. I shoot for the low number. Especially as I have had personal experience with a bulb/fixture fluctuating and my temps got too high and my guy got burned. So I personally aim for the low number in that recommendation/range.
Okay, I got more plants for his cage I will upload a picture. Do you think it looks good, or needs changed? Also I got the rep-cal calcium no phosphorus- no vitamin D3 and the rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vitamin D3. Are those good as well? I also attached images of the temperature/ humidity gauge in different areas of his cage (the first two are near the basking lamp) (the last one is at the bottom). I have noticed he has been less dark, so it must be from him adjusting to his home. He only puffs up and gets dark when I wake him up in the morning, I think he's just grumpy I woke him up because it goes away. Do you guys have any tips for cleaning his cage? All of the plants are attached to the sides with fishing string so I can't really take them out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.04.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.04.37 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.05.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.05.04 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.11.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.11.56 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.11.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.11.38 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.17.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.17.56 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
My basking spot is reading from the temp gauge at 81 right now(it was only sitting there for about 5 minutes though it could raise the longer it was there). How can I get it higher?

Supplements look good. You'll also want to pick up a multivitamin. I like to use Reptivite without D3.

Video about cleaning a cham enclosure:

To raise a basking temp your options are to raise the basking branch or get a higher wattage bulb. Looks like you should get a higher wattage bulb since the branch is so close anyways.

What strength is your UVB bulb?

Well you can try a higher wattage and see how that goes.

I was asking about the strength of your UVB bulb. You said "Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14" What strength of T5 is it?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, male, 4 months, I have had him for 3 days.
Handling - I have not handled him yet, and do not plan to for a while until he settles into his new home.

Feeding - I am feeding him 8-10 crickets a day at around 12 after he wakes up at 9:30. I gut loaded the crickets with carrots and collard greens by just putting it in the cage they are in. I also have given my chameleon 2 horn worms one on the first day I got him, and one the third day.

Supplements - The reptile store I bought him at told me to buy Repashy superfoods calcium plus vitamin and calcium supplement, and Sticky tongue farms calcium/mineral supplement for indoor reptiles and amphibians phosphorus free with vitamin D3. When I asked how to use it He told me to switch off each day between those two. I know this is wrong, and Also I plan to order new supplements because they both have D3 in them. Is this correct?

Watering - I use a handheld mister. I don’t necessarily must for a set time, but I must until every plant has water droplets on it which takes around a minute or so. I mist everywhere in his cage, and also use a dripper which stays on all day. I have only seen him drinking water from the dripper, not from the plants. I mist once when I wake him up, and once i’m the evening around 4-5. Both of the water types are distilled water.

Fecal Description - He has only pooped 2 times, and the first day it was a cream color but today it was white. He has not been tested for parasites.

History - When I got him from the reptile store he has a dark colored “scar” from a healing cut about the size of a pencil eraser. The workers told me they had not even noticed it in the two weeks he had been at the store, as it had not affected his health. They said it should heal as he grows and sheds. I will attach a picture of it.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30 medium size since he is only 4 months.

Lighting - Repti Basking spot lamp 75w and mini deep dome lamp fixture, and for UBV the Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14.

Temperature - I have the basking lamp at the top of the cage , so it gets cooler at the bottom.

Humidity -I am unsure of how to check the humidity level exactly, but I mist two times a day and have a live plant.

Plants I have one live plant it is a pathos. I rerooted it in Eco Earth coconut fiber so there was no fertilizer balls. I also placed baked rocks over the soil in case he goes near it.

Placement- His cage is in my bedroom on a table that is about feet tall. I am generally quite or not in my bed room a lot during the day. I only play music in my room, which is still not blaring loud. No one else goes in there, but I guess since I did get him recently my family has been coming in my room to look at him.

Location - I live in North Texas.

Current Problem - My chameleon has been dark, not blue how he was at the store. I just want to make sure i’m during everything right so he has the best health and home possible. It might be that he is adjusting to his new home, but it still worries me.
Thank you!

I posted pictures in the order of: Kodak at the store, him at my house, my cage, a picture of his sore if you zoom into his stomach, and another of his cage.

Hi! I’m also new to Cham keeping but this may help:
My veiled was dark for the first 2/3 days after I got her and then I put up a piece of cloth around the sides of her cage (not the side with the door) to give her a bit of privacy and then she turned bright green, like how I originally saw her at the breeder.

Well you can try a higher wattage and see how that goes.

I was asking about the strength of your UVB bulb. You said "Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14" What strength of T5 is it?

This is the type I have. I am unsure where it says what T5 strength.

Attachments

• 0B9CC7A8-69AE-4A55-A882-D1FD13BFA693.jpeg
    0B9CC7A8-69AE-4A55-A882-D1FD13BFA693.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 100
Hi! I’m also new to Cham keeping but this may help:
My veiled was dark for the first 2/3 days after I got her and then I put up a piece of cloth around the sides of her cage (not the side with the door) to give her a bit of privacy and then she turned bright green, like how I originally saw her at the breeder.
Thanks, I will try this!!

Where is says "Hood includes free lamp" in the orange oval -- what bulb is pictured? It's too tiny for me to see.

Yes perfect! Just wanted to make sure since proper UVB is essential to a healthy chameleon.

Also -- totally normal for your guy to be dark and puffy. Takes them a few weeks to get settled in.

Might be worth watching this video to learn more about chameleon behavior:

Yes perfect! Just wanted to make sure since proper UVB is essential to a healthy chameleon.

Also -- totally normal for your guy to be dark and puffy. Takes them a few weeks to get settled in.

Might be worth watching this video to learn more about chameleon behavior:

Okay! Also is it normal that he is somewhat laying down/resting on the vines. I haven’t seen him do this normal he hangs or stands but I put a new vine up and I see him laying on it. Is this because it is below his UBV light?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom