Chameleon Feeding Research Support

I love research like this. I'm sure to some it seems unnecessary, but I just know that eventually some epic life changing thing will happen and it will be attributed to "that research on Chameleon tongues"....

NICE

Chris,

I have a question though why do you go on all the expeditions? Im 13 and plan to breed my Chameleons in the future, but want to have a career similar to what you do, but my question is what do you do for a living? and what are you?
Thanks

NICE

Chris,

I have a question though why do you go on all the expeditions? Im 13 and plan to breed my Chameleons in the future, but want to have a career similar to what you do, but my question is what do you do for a living? and what are you?
Thanks

I'm a biologist and my dissertation research is on chameleons. You can read more about it here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/interview-chris-anderson-66414/ Its a lot of work and a ton of education but I definitely enjoy what I do.

Chris

I'm a biologist and my dissertation research is on chameleons. You can read more about it here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/interview-chris-anderson-66414/ Its a lot of work and a ton of education but I definitely enjoy what I do.

Chris

Thats ok i like the study of reptiles and i study hard i have like 3 HUGE books on everything reptiles that my sister got for me and right now im reading the book understanding reptile parasites because i want to know how to identify them and treat them so i guess Biology would be the study to take up and become a biologist?
Thanks

I love research like this. I'm sure to some it seems unnecessary, but I just know that eventually some epic life changing thing will happen and it will be attributed to "that research on Chameleon tongues"....

Research like this already causes some wheels to go in my head as regards to husbandry temperatures...

@Chris: to some extent, I'm wondering the same as chameleoman.

You are basically doing what I dreamed of. And at the same time, I'm graduating law school and preparing for the BAR (why ...oh whyyyyyyyy......) Granted my situation was a little different since I purposely avoided biology in undergrad (which ended up royally screwing my graduate degree choices without having to go back for a year of the intro bio credits...)

I'm really curious how you get the funding to take so many treks? I realize you do fundraising and whatnot, but there has to be a primary source. Does the school pay or...??

I'm planning a celebration trip to Africa/Madagascar for myself after I finish law school, but the costs are :(

He's a PhD candidate, a certain amount of funding goes along with that, I'm sure. Plus, I'm pretty sure a substantial amount of person income has gone into it.

@Chris: to some extent, I'm wondering the same as chameleoman.

You are basically doing what I dreamed of. And at the same time, I'm graduating law school and preparing for the BAR (why ...oh whyyyyyyyy......) Granted my situation was a little different since I purposely avoided biology in undergrad (which ended up royally screwing my graduate degree choices without having to go back for a year of the intro bio credits...)

I'm really curious how you get the funding to take so many treks? I realize you do fundraising and whatnot, but there has to be a primary source. Does the school pay or...??

I'm planning a celebration trip to Africa/Madagascar for myself after I finish law school, but the costs are :(

He's a PhD candidate, a certain amount of funding goes along with that, I'm sure. Plus, I'm pretty sure a substantial amount of person income has gone into it.

Well, as a PhD candidate in biology, the University pays my tuition and provides me a modest stipend to teach classes while I'm getting my PhD. My research expenses, however, are covered either by me, my advisor, or any research grants I submit and am able to get, depending on whats available.

Applying for funding is extremely time consuming with generally low rates of funding. Examples of some of the research grants I've applied to in the last year include the Journal of Experimental Biology (JEB) Travelling Fellowship, Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research (GIAR), Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles (SSAR) Grants in Herpetology (GIH), American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH) Gaige Fund Award, Chicago Herpetological Society (CHS) Grant for Graduate Student Research in Herpetology, and the Society for Integrative & Comparative Biology (SICB) Fellowship for Graduate Student Travel (FGST). Other sources of potential grants include the National Science Foundation (NSF), etc.

The primary sources of most of the expenses for this research project and trip, for example, are from research grants I've been successful in getting. Depending on how the fundraising continues and how the final two grant applications I have in go, a large part of it may also end up being personally funded.

Chris

Last edited:
I just took a peek at your Professional Website...those are some great pictures.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Just wanted to let everyone know they still have time to contribute to this project and help make it a reality! I've got quite a way to go still to meet my goal!

Chris

The implications for such an adaptation are what I find most interesting. By using the mechanical energy-storage mechanism of their tongue, they can function despite temperatures that would render more conventional methods of feeding impossible (quick jumping, lunging, chasing and "conventional" ambush strikes).

This gives them an edge when it comes to hunting in varying climates. Hot, they eat, cool, they eat, cold, they still eat. I'm sure this has a lot to do with their ability to spread and adapt. I'm sure it's got a lot to do with how they are still alive in CA and FL.

It's one of those little bits of knowledge that is utterly fascinating, but right there in front of you. Thanks Chris, I appreciate the info.

I had to step aside from the hobby until I get in a better financial situation, but I check in every once in a while to see what's going on. I'll get my RN in less than six months. Meanwhile, my brother has my remaining creatures in his care.

The implications for such an adaptation are what I find most interesting. By using the mechanical energy-storage mechanism of their tongue, they can function despite temperatures that would render more conventional methods of feeding impossible (quick jumping, lunging, chasing and "conventional" ambush strikes).

This gives them an edge when it comes to hunting in varying climates. Hot, they eat, cool, they eat, cold, they still eat. I'm sure this has a lot to do with their ability to spread and adapt. I'm sure it's got a lot to do with how they are still alive in CA and FL.

It's one of those little bits of knowledge that is utterly fascinating, but right there in front of you. Thanks Chris, I appreciate the info.

I had to step aside from the hobby until I get in a better financial situation, but I check in every once in a while to see what's going on. I'll get my RN in less than six months. Meanwhile, my brother has my remaining creatures in his care.

Thanks for the kind words, Eric. Your sentiments are very similar to my own feelings about this type of research. There really are so many interesting questions studies like this can give insight into and I think this one in particular has a lot of potential.

If anyone hasn't already done so, take a look at the fundraising page: http://www.rockethub.com/projects/4664-thermal-constraints-on-chameleon-feeding I'm a little over 1/4 of the way to my goal but quickly approaching 50% through the time period I have to raise it. Any and all contributions will help!

Chris

The primary sources of most of the expenses for this research project and trip, for example, are from research grants I've been successful in getting. Depending on how the fundraising continues and how the final two grant applications I have in go, a large part of it may also end up being personally funded.

Well, the larger of the two grant applications I was waiting to hear back on didn't get funded. I still have one more potential but that means I most definitely can use every and any donation I can get for this project! Take a look at this page if you are interested in supporting chameleon research: http://www.rockethub.com/projects/4664-thermal-constraints-on-chameleon-feeding

Yeah, it's a bit stalled there.

Tell you what, folks, I'll match the next donation.

That's a very kind offer, I hope someone takes you up on it!

Best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom