Cham Room Update

deadhd5

Avid Member
I have sunk so much time and a decent amount of cash into my cham room setup so I wanted to post pictures to get your thoughts and suggestions, and also share some of the ways I have solved problems of chameleon husbandry. It is a fun challenge to figure out optimal ways to achieve the conditions that allow our chams to thrive; at the same time with an eye towards creating a beautiful, relaxing environment for both chams and me alike.

I recently painted the room as well as adding wheels to my cage racks for easy mobility while cleaning.

IMG_20130202_155216.jpg

This is the cage setup. I have panthers Moe (R-Nosy Be) and Malcolm (L-Ambilobe) in the 2x2x4's on the ends with Arcadia T5HO 6% lights. I have two large Repitbreezes connected through the middle to create one large cage for my Jackson cham Reggie Jackson lit with a 36" T8 Arcadia. These racks do not allow room for two extra large cages, so this was my solution. Lots of zip ties involved, especially when raising the cages! There are large storage bins with beer tap bulkheads install for drainage. I have recently added a humidity controller that controls both my room humidifier and the humidifier/fogger for Reggie's cage. This way Reggie Jackson's humidity can remain higher within the same room as my panthers.

IMG_20130202_155536.jpg

Another angle shows my expansion rack, heh heh. I plan on getting a pair of Mt Meru in the next few months when I find them. You can see my Mistking and room humidifier is strategically placed for the expansion ;) I really like having a lot of plants in the room to give it a natural feel, and I will be adding more in the coming weeks.

IMG_20130202_161505.jpg

Here is Reggie's cage, which is two reptibreezes put together. He loves the extra room and really allows me to provide him one cool wet side and one warmer dry side.

IMG_20130202_161429.jpg

Reggie

IMG_20130202_095640.jpg

Malcolm (7 months) is in a 2x2x4 Penn Plax. You should see him fired up! It has been fascinating to watch him grow over the last 3 months. Look at how long his tail is!

IMG_20121221_153747.jpg

Moe is not enjoying the paparazzi- :D

it was all worth it, you have beautiful chameleons and a superb setup for them. Awesome is not a ggod enough word. maybe aweleon? or chamsome. yes, chamsome lol

this setup is fantastic!!!!! kudos to all your hard work and dedication to your chams! :) im sure they love it! :D

it was all worth it, you have beautiful chameleons and a superb setup for them. Awesome is not a ggod enough word. maybe aweleon? or chamsome. yes, chamsome lol

Thanks for the complement! The room is definitely making it easier to get through the drab Cincinnati winter :)

Good work.

I love how there isn't much stuff on the bottom, it really helps for easy cleaning. I try my best to only have maybe a plant pot at the bottom or a laying bin.

Good work.

I love how there isn't much stuff on the bottom, it really helps for easy cleaning. I try my best to only have maybe a plant pot at the bottom or a laying bin.

Thanks, I couldn't agree more. The wastewater is less nasty too. I have suspended pothos in my cages, and in my Nosy Be's cage they are really long and gather on the bottom of the cage and have grown roots. The thrive on the moisture at the bottom of the cage and make a nice cushion just in case he falls.

Your room is amazing looking every time I see pictures of everyone elses reptile rooms I go into mine and feel it is always unorganized lol Ill have to post pictures of my reptile room sometime great job on the room.

Tall trees

What are the tall plants you have in there? They look great and I'm looking at gettin my Jackson's a nice big tree so I can get rid of all the fake vines with leaves.

What are the tall plants you have in there? They look great and I'm looking at gettin my Jackson's a nice big tree so I can get rid of all the fake vines with leaves.

Thanks! Actually the only significant grounded plant I have is the umbrella plant on the right side of the center combo cage. Otherwise, I prefer to utilize suspended pothos plants. There are many advantages in this setup:

- Golden Pothos are so hardy, the main concern is pruning them so the cage doesn't get too dark.
- The vines are fantastic and can be pinned all over the cage.
- My chams love to hangout on perches underneath the pots for a cool area with higher humidity.
- The vines can be moved together to create great hiding places for your chams
- Long vines begin to gather a the bottom of the enclosure, eliminating the need for another plant or any substrate. The vines grow roots and thrive on the moisture at the bottom of the cage, and create a cushion in case the chameleon takes a tumble.
- It is a very clean set up that is easy to maintain

ReptileLove, Ataraxia, Chameleonmaster, and Saint Jimmy, I really appreciate your comments. I don't get a chance to show it off to peers any other way than through this forum, so your feedback is highly valued :)

Thanks for the info on the plants, do you have any recommendations on where to get those plants? Maybe Loews or Home Depot? Or online?

Thanks for the info on the plants, do you have any recommendations on where to get those plants? Maybe Loews or Home Depot? Or online?

Lowes and Home Depot were my sources. The longer vines the better!

PM if you need help with hanging them.

Eric

I love how much light comes in through the window. That's a really good spot for them they are so beautiful thanks for sharing. Have you had the plants for long is why they have grown in so beautifully?

Back
Top Bottom