CGD for Veiled Chameleons, and how to get them to like the taste.

bechsgaard

Hello, a friend of mine has been feeding his veiled Crested gecko diet, and although i don't recommend it as a regular diet for chameleons, as a weekly feed, i believe it could have some proper benefits. His veiled seemed not to like the taste, so i thought he should try what i do with my crested geckos to make them like it. i own a collection of over 100 cresties, and on a weekly basis i need to give them a mix that will help them increase their health. Many of my geckos refuse to eat crickets, only waxworms. What i do with the diet is

85% of diet must be pure diet (repashy)
5% nymph crickets
5% silk worms
3% Plain ORGANIC yogurt (no adatives whatsoever, dont use low/non fat)
2% waxworms

Then blend them all up

My cresties gobble this up, and it gets them to eat the diet, im not sure if this is appropriate for veileds, i tryed it afew times with some juvinile veileds ive been doing a study on. but i want to make sure this is fine, these percentages only really work for me as i make over a gallon of CGD every day. For small ammounts i would just chop up the bugs, lol. Please tell me what you think

:eek: 100 cresties?!?! Must take ages to care for all those, lol! I have two of the little cuties myself, they are lovely lizards! Not sure about feeding cgd to chams though. It may be ok for one that had lost it's tongue or a sick cham that needed force feeding. Don't think I would give it to my chams though.

The thing that concerns me is the yogurt, I don't think this works well with the reptilian system (maybe? I wouldn't know, I've never read anything about it). I know most animals don't do well with dairy products to begin with, I'm tempted to assume the same is true for reptiles. Plus as any dairy product I would imagine it to have a lot of animal protein, which we know chameleons don't deal with well.

Blending insects into the mix sounds like it can't do any harm at all but I'm not sure the yogurt is adding any benefits. Perhaps... hmmm, could you use nectars instead? Like for the birds that eat nectars (or the commercial nectar foods for geckos), this seems more natural for reptiles (since it's all plant based) and would probably be very yummy as well. It would be sweet.

for geckos, that may work...but that whole mix is WAAY to iffy for me to feed to chameleons..they require live insects, mainly gutloaded and calcium dusted crickets, dubia roaches, silk worms, hornworms, and the occasional wax worm..ied be very hesitant to feed them yogurt...

geckos will also eat from bowls...chameleons use their toungue and "hunt" for live food, not a mash (or protien drink like you give your geckos)

Hello, a friend of mine has been feeding his veiled Crested gecko diet, and although i don't recommend it as a regular diet for chameleons, as a weekly feed, i believe it could have some proper benefits. His veiled seemed not to like the taste, so i thought he should try

i tryed it afew times with some juvinile veileds ive been doing a study on. but i want to make sure this is fine,

crested gecko MRP isnt a good idea for chams, i think you should stick with fresh veggies

Dan,

You're contradicting other posts you've made in the last couple days. Can you get your story straight and stick to it?

Chris

The thing that concerns me is the yogurt, I don't think this works well with the reptilian system (maybe? I wouldn't know, I've never read anything about it). I know most animals don't do well with dairy products to begin with, I'm tempted to assume the same is true for reptiles. Plus as any dairy product I would imagine it to have a lot of animal protein, which we know chameleons don't deal with well.

Blending insects into the mix sounds like it can't do any harm at all but I'm not sure the yogurt is adding any benefits. Perhaps... hmmm, could you use nectars instead? Like for the birds that eat nectars (or the commercial nectar foods for geckos), this seems more natural for reptiles (since it's all plant based) and would probably be very yummy as well. It would be sweet.
the yogurt is my way of making the mixture more apetizing for the crested geckos, they will eat more mix, while when its plain they dont eat enough and im forced to feed alot more insects, to keep them healthy. Ive been using the yogurt for just over 1 year now and have had no problems, anthony carpento first introduced it to me, and we did some experiments, both of our results were generally good. I find the crested geckos to be a very robust species, so im curious wether it will effect the chameleons negatively. The ammount of dairy is so little, for every gallon of the stuff there is like 1 tbsp of yogurt.

when i wrote that, it was to someone, who i dont know, who had a veiled chameleon

Dan,

Seriously, you just got done correcting me that it was a panther chameleon the person in the other thread had. This back and forth is absurd. The point is you seem to make things up as you go in the majority of the posts you make and there is not any consistency to it. Making stuff up is not helpful to anyone. Stick to things you know for sure as facts and that you have actually done. You've been called out many times since you've joined for horrendous, false and made up statements and it needs to stop.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom