Cat bite

Hi everyone,

I have a threeish month old female veiled Chameleon named Twiggy. I got her from a young kid who didn’t have the time or patience to keep her so I picked her up Sunday. She had a few cricket bites because the previous owner just left them in the cage overnight.
Anyways, on Monday, one of my cats snuck into the spare room (where her cage is) and fell through the top of the flimsy mesh cage. I WAS getting the steel top grate that night ordered from a pet store. Very bad timing and it’s all my fault. I get it. And I feel horrible.
I’ve read hours of articles and researched this issue to give her a fighting chance. There isn’t a reputable vet in the area, otherwise I would bring her there in a heartbeat.
To make a long story short, my cat fell through the top, and it looks like she carried Twiggy out of the cat as a mother cat would with their young. This cat has been friends with mice. Not a mean bone in her body.
As for Twiggy - there was bruising on each side of the top of her and one slight puncture which bled a little. She was walking around the room when I found her. I immediately put her in the cage and she ate until Wednesday and was moving around the cage and seemed like she just needed to heal. She hasn’t eaten since Wednesday and yesterday night fell off her perch by the light and fell to the bottom of her cage. She climbed back up and seemed ok. Today is Friday and I researched how to make a hospital cage. She has all of the necessary requirements for one and she has been misted well. I filled a syringe with mealworms, the calcium dusting, crickets, and baby food (apple/squash). I put it on her head in hopes the water would trickle down with some nutrients. Seems to have worked a bit.
Her eyes are still closed but she walked around a bit to go under some leaves. Her mouth doesn’t open enough to fit the syringe in.

Is there anything else I can do? I will do ANYTHING to help this poor baby. She is in a quiet room with the right temperatures and no noise/traffic/distractions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can you post some pics of her? Cat bites can be very deceiving as while they look like just a small puncture, they can actually be quite deep, not to mention the bacteria from the cat’s mouth can cause a nasty infection. Truly, a vet visit would be the best to help her as the wound needs professional vet care and most likely, antibiotics.

Can you post some pics of her? Cat bites can be very deceiving as while they look like just a small puncture, they can actually be quite deep, not to mention the bacteria from the cat’s mouth can cause a nasty infection. Truly, a vet visit would be the best to help her as the wound needs professional vet care and most likely, antibiotics.
Her now with polysporin on the wounds. The stuff on her head was a syringe food attempt for her to get some sort of nutrients if water trickled down into her mouth. Seems to work a bit.

Attachments

• 62725950-7435-4681-B0E7-3CA3EB34EA16.png
    62725950-7435-4681-B0E7-3CA3EB34EA16.png
    936 KB · Views: 159
  • 7B7270BB-84BD-4A7D-99D1-E1BF3847ECC3.png
    7B7270BB-84BD-4A7D-99D1-E1BF3847ECC3.png
    883 KB · Views: 166
Sorry this has happened- she needs a vet to determine the extent of the wounds. If you look at some of the videos on force feeding/hydration it will show how to do it. BUT! If she has broken bones in her head area, this could be a problem and could cause more problems (reason a vet needs to see her) Since it happened a few days ago and the progression has slowly been getting worse, she needs a vet. Sorry!

Does she use her tail or does it usually look like in the picture?

She used her tail and it’s curled or straight at times.
I need to find a vet who will know what to do. Even if it’s just a regular vet, they will be able to help?

What I have experienced getting supplies from vets, not always for a chameleon. If you actually bring the animal in, they might have someone with experience or will attempt to assist you. I have called and they told me, they don't service monitor lizards, but when I brought him in (yes, I had to play dump) they did have a Dr. with experience but it wasn't the norm for the clinic. He was more excited to work with something different than a furred animal.

Best wishes and please keep us updated..

Just depends on what you want to do and how far you will go.

This can be very frustrating trying to help your pet and nobody local will help. These are other options that have been used.
Going to a local collage with reptiles or zoology dept. Look for staff members and E-mail. ( I am very persistent to the point of annoying others, but it's not about me)
Going to the Herp section of a Zoo or sending email to their director (I have and actually was invited behind the scenes AND given my first fruit fly culture 1997 Memphis Zoo TN).
I am just giving examples of thinking outside the box if the local experts seem busy.
Many Biology classes have live animals and connections that could assist.
Good Luck!

I think @jannb has found two that should be good chameleon vets. The first one has many people working there who graduated from the OVC and they know a lot about chameleons at the OVC. I've met Darren Auger when he was studying there and I think you'll find him to be good chameleon vet too.

I will second and third the opinions as a technician at an avian practice-absolutely nothing other than systemic antibiotics will give another animal a chance against feline oral bacteria. The neosporin is doing no good and I would discontinue it. The first 24 hours is critical. Don't let them say they'll "schedule you for Tuesday" or something.

Even if you can't get into a reptile vet, any emergency clinic should be able to calculate an antibiotic dosage (or consult with another vet).

Usually the words "cat bite" alone will get you in.

Back
Top Bottom