Can chameleons eat small fishes?

bumblelau

so i watched a video on youtube about a jackson eating a snails. i just thought whether my veiled would like to eat something else apart from crickets as well.
i live in hong kong so there arent many choices of reptiles food. there are no dubias. no hornworms or silkworms.
i do occassionally notice some locusts in stock though. would my veiled like that?
also. if i go down to a local park and catch a variety of insects found there. would that help to give my veiled a more balanced diet? any concerns about the parasites inside wild insects?
lastly, is it possible for veiled to eat small fishes? just wondering.

Thanks Very much.

Isn't Hong Kong one of the most polluted cities in the world? I am always seeing shows on TV about the rivers in China being severely polluted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_River_Delta#Pollution

I wouldn't. I tried feeding some of my lizards goldfish once, and none of them ate them lol. I don't think they are the most nutritious things out there.

Locusts are great though, so if you can find a source on those, that would be great for your cham.

so i watched a video on youtube about a jackson eating a snails. i just thought whether my veiled would like to eat something else apart from crickets as well.
i live in hong kong so there arent many choices of reptiles food. there are no dubias. no hornworms or silkworms.
i do occassionally notice some locusts in stock though. would my veiled like that?
also. if i go down to a local park and catch a variety of insects found there. would that help to give my veiled a more balanced diet? any concerns about the parasites inside wild insects?

Thanks Very much.

I am quite surprised to find that silkworms are not available in Hongkong.. especially, considering China is one of the biggest producer of silk.
Also, many of the feeder companies in the state import the silkie eggs from China, India, and other countries.

as far as fish goes... I somewhat doubt that your veiled would like one.
I wouldn't..
The concern is much more on the fact if Hongkong local park using pesticides (very likely)..

Chameleon in tree - Fish in water

While it may be possible, fish usually have a slippery slime or film over their bodies, making it difficult for a chameleons tongue to capture. Same applies to slugs, but snails while slimy have a hard dry shell.

Chameleon in tree - Fish in water

While it may be possible, fish usually have a slippery slime or film over their bodies, making it difficult for a chameleons tongue to capture. Same applies to slugs, but snails while slimy have a hard dry shell.

wow! good point! can i feed my cham slugs coz there are plenty of them in my local park!

Isn't Hong Kong one of the most polluted cities in the world? I am always seeing shows on TV about the rivers in China being severely polluted.

I wouldn't. I tried feeding some of my lizards goldfish once, and none of them ate them lol. I don't think they are the most nutritious things out there.

Locusts are great though, so if you can find a source on those, that would be great for your cham.

i thought locusts would be great. definitely going to get some tomorrow

I am quite surprised to find that silkworms are not available in Hongkong.. especially, considering China is one of the biggest producer of silk.
Also, many of the feeder companies in the state import the silkie eggs from China, India, and other countries.

as far as fish goes... I somewhat doubt that your veiled would like one.
I wouldn't..
The concern is much more on the fact if Hongkong local park using pesticides (very likely)..

seriously i dont know why there arent any neither...

My jackson's loved slugs! If you have different types of slugs choose the ones that are NOT brightly colored. Usually insects with bright colors are either toxic or bad tasting. Just make sure they come from a place that is not treated with pesticides. That may be the hard part.

Oh sorry, you have a veiled, not a jax. Try the slugs anyway. I also meant to mention that most insects carry parasites of some sort so it will be almost impossible to avoid them. You can have a vet do a fecal exam periodically so you know what parasites he has. Healthy chams usually have some that don't affect them too much. But, if the cham is fighting another health problem the parasites can become a problem.

Last edited:

There are lizards that eat fish..but most likely not chameleons, though they might try if given access..my water dragon eats fish and most monitors will as well..It's common sense..a aquatic lizard most likely will while an arboreal lizard like a chameleon will not..

Thanks Very much.
If you can be sure that the insects are pesticide free, they are probably ok..but know what you are feeding..certain catapillars are poisonous..fish won't work

Thanks Very much.
Proceed with caution when catching insects, aside from pollution and pesticides, some are poisonous..I'd suggest ordering a starter colony of dubias online and try to create your own colony ..it's not too difficult and you can get detailed explanation of how to do it on YouTube...

Back
Top Bottom