Can a baby panther chameleon do well in large enclosure?

theronstang

I am new to the Chameleon world and have a question. Can a baby chameleon survive well in an adult-sized enclosure? 24 x 24 x 48 screened enclosure to be exact. Or is it better to get the small one and upgrade later.

I was told panthers could live in 48x24x24 around 3-4 months mark. I hear small enclosures are only good for newborns and very young chams (1-2 months). Correct me if I am mistaken. ;)

My panther chameleon is around 3 months old and does great in a 48x24x24 enclosure. He hunts roaming locusts and crickets I leave around the cage and everything. Saves having to upgrade his enclosure later down the road.

my cham is around 3.5 months ( a bit older) and its in a 24x24x48 and he seems to love it.

he uses the space pretty well too. i know it CAN be harder to find your cham in a bigger cage but ive had very little trouble. he goes to the same places/areas so its not so bad.

id say youll be fine!

Main thing is monitor his/her food intake. If you have only one cham that is much easier than if you have a whole bunch like some of us. If your baby cup feeds then a 24x48 is perfectly fine. If he/she free range feeds make sure its eatting and finding his/her food items. An easy alternative is to section off the bottom third of the cage and just use the top 2-3 ft. Ive done that and Ive also just used the whole cage. Depends on the cham and their hunting ability more than anything.

I was thinking about moving my 2 and a half month old panther to my
48x24x24 enclosure, not too sure about it :/
was thinking about building a temporary enclosure half the height or something around that

I was thinking about moving my 2 and a half month old panther to my
48x24x24 enclosure, not too sure about it :/
was thinking about building a temporary enclosure half the height or something around that

2 1/2 months is pretty young. Personally I'd wait til he's at least old enough to be eatting 1/4" crix. If you have an empty 12x12x20 that would be perfect.

can I move him after the 12x12x20 enclosure to the one I have?(48x20x20)
If so, I'll just go and build him one tomorrow. :D and thanks for the advice

I just completed my 2x4 Reptibreeze for my 6 month, even though I despise Zoomed. It was my only option. The quality of screen is good, but the damn thing has gaps (both doors) (yes, I did assemble it correctly). I knew since it was ZM it would be sub par, but I wasn't expecting this mess. Going to be a lot more escapees in my room I guess until I find the hot glue gun..

Main thing is monitor his/her food intake. If you have only one cham that is much easier than if you have a whole bunch like some of us. If your baby cup feeds then a 24x48 is perfectly fine. If he/she free range feeds make sure its eatting and finding his/her food items. An easy alternative is to section off the bottom third of the cage and just use the top 2-3 ft. Ive done that and Ive also just used the whole cage. Depends on the cham and their hunting ability more than anything.

i agree with you, making sure the cham is eating can be a problem in a big viv thats why people say to use smaller vivs as young panthers are always looking for food and grow quickly, you also have to make sure the young cham is recieving enough uv, another reason why most of us keep them in smaller vivs, chances are they will be closer to the uv as the viv will be shorter in height and the uv can penterate further into the viv. i stick to what works for me personally and i havent had any problems, i understand some people only own 1 cham and dont want the expense of vivariums that arnt really going to be used for very long. if the cham starts closing his eyes once transferred to the big viv after awhile then chances are not enough uv.

rob

Back
Top Bottom