Cage(s) Rack?

Wowbango

Established Member
I'm having a hard time finding a Rack that will allow me to fit 2 18x18x36 cages side by side. I don't care what material it is as long as it works and fits, and doesn't cost $300+ Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm having a hard time finding a Rack that will allow me to fit 2 18x18x36 cages side by side. I don't care what material it is as long as it works and fits, and doesn't cost $300+ Anybody have any suggestions?

I ran into the same problem when I was looking for a stand. They were either way too flimsy or cost way too much, so I built my own. I bought a fairly cheap circular saw for like $70 at Lowes and then bought the lumber. All told, I probably have $100 in it total, if that. Not to mention that it's a lot sturdier than what I could find.

It may not be as pretty, but it definitely does the job.

I ran into the same problem when I was looking for a stand. They were either way too flimsy or cost way too much, so I built my own. I bought a fairly cheap circular saw for like $70 at Lowes and then bought the lumber. All told, I probably have $100 in it total, if that. Not to mention that it's a lot sturdier than what I could find.

It may not be as pretty, but it definitely does the job.

That's my problem...I wouldn't care...but the girlfriend needs it to be "pretty." Haha!

Thanks! That's a good start, Maybe I can line it with flowers or something for the boss...

That's my problem...I wouldn't care...but the girlfriend needs it to be "pretty." Haha!

Good point...mine is in a back room off the closet where it's not "visible" to visitors. Otherwise I'd probably be in the same situation!

Last edited:
Then again, you could maybe get some nicer wood in large pieces and use that. I stained mine a little and let it dry out in the garage for a couple weeks. Still, it definitely doesn't meet the definition of "pretty." Functional, yes. Pretty? Not so much. Ha!

What about finding assemble-it-yourself metal shop shelves (a 2 shelf type...just don't put on the upper shelf) and painting the metal a color to match the room decor? They are simple and clean-looking. Or, some of the big box home improvement stores have solid wood furniture pieces you assemble at home. The Ikea type items. I was thinking something like a coffee table or an entertainment console table (set the cages side by side on the top).

I use these. Throw out the cheap boards and replace with 1/2"-3/4 good plywood. Seal with clear minwax polyurethane. I get four cages to a rack (18"x18"x36" cages on top; 16"x16"x30" or 16"x16"x20" cages on bottom)
One box will give you two sets of shelves for a total of 8 cages. I don't hook up the top brackets for shelves. Just place board on top, and cages will fit perfectly in place, with about 1/8" elbow in all four corners. Keeps them from shifting and falling off.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-36-i...-Commercial-Shelving-Unit-UR361860/100203714/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom