Cage Bottom - Wood or Screen or What?

m1ndless

I am working on a new cage design, and I am not sure what to use for the bottom?

I am reinforcing the bottom with extra beams to support plants, but what should I use for the actual bottom?

Also, for drainage I was just going to buy a cheap drain cover and cut a hole for it, would this work? I plan on having it mainly for the dripper, which will hopefully drip right onto the top of the drian, other than that I am just using paper towells at the bottom.

I would go with screen. If its inside just put a big tub under it thats what i did and to support the cage took 2 peices of pvc pipe then put a screw in the sides of the cage and stuck the pvc on them.

I think the majority of users here use a plastic bottom in their cage - easier to maintain and they don't rot out. I've personally got some currogated plastic cut out for the bottom. Braces for support would definitely help.

I would go with screen. If its inside just put a big tub under it thats what i did and to support the cage took 2 peices of pvc pipe then put a screw in the sides of the cage and stuck the pvc on them.

Where would I find a big tub to collect the water? I was thinking like one of those cheap oven pans, the ones that are shiny? But I do not think that will be big enough.

I found the soft trays but I would have to alter the dimensions of my design to use one of these... which I may do. The picture is vague, what exactly are they? Plastic or what?

They are made of clear plastic
What exactly are you trying to make? Something like a sink to catch water?

I just need something that will catch the water into a pan or tub, mainly for my dripper.

I was thinking of using screen that is reinforced by wood underneath, and just place a large tub underneath the cage.

That would work, or something like a baby pool.
If you use screen on the bottom of the cage and then place a tub or something underneath it to catch the excess?

Home depot

Go to your local hardware store and see if they have MacCourt: All purpose tub. The image below is what I am mounting to a four foot enclosure for my veiled and 4 foot shefflera. It something like 26"x20"x6"

allpurposetub_lg.jpg

That would work, or something like a baby pool.
If you use screen on the bottom of the cage and then place a tub or something underneath it to catch the excess?

Yeah, I think I am going to use screen on the bottom and just use a big tub underneath.

I would say pvc or plexiglass, Something that can be wiped clean... With holes in the middle and a catch basin below.
I just made some cage bottoms out of 1/8" display plexiglass...and they are working great!

cage bottom

I am fairly new to this forum and building screen cages but I used a rubber liner like the stuff they use in fish ponds.(I have a Koi farm) First I made a frame out of treated lumber about 1 &1/2 inches thick and stapled the rubber to it and then I used finish nails to attach my screen cage to the rubber framed base. It causes all the water to go to the center.
It is very easy to clean and if I want, a drain a simple bulkhead fitting will work. This stuff has a 25 year guarantee but probably not for this use.

I am fairly new to this forum and building screen cages but I used a rubber liner like the stuff they use in fish ponds.(I have a Koi farm) First I made a frame out of treated lumber about 1 &1/2 inches thick and stapled the rubber to it and then I used finish nails to attach my screen cage to the rubber framed base. It causes all the water to go to the center.
It is very easy to clean and if I want, a drain a simple bulkhead fitting will work. This stuff has a 25 year guarantee but probably not for this use.

Great idea!

I think I heard someone used a utility sink for a base - drain all built in :)

Also the trays you can get pre-fab for shower stalls would work.

those

those tubs you are speaking about with the drain exceed 50 dollars. Your best bet is to go with plastic concrete tub like the one I posted earlier. Then make your own hole for drainage. Ill post what I am building here shortly...so you can get an idea.

here it is

This is what I have designed so far. Its primarily your typical screened enclosure, home built from the depot, only this one rests upon a multi-purpose tub. I am trying to find some sort of buckle or clip to have the bottome detach from the whole enclosure, but I can't find anything. Any suggestions?
The tub I can modify to me liking further down the road. Over all dimentions are 24x18x48, roughly. I chose Silcon 1 for adhereing the screen bottom to the lip of the tub. It has lots of fumes when working with the stuff. Needs time to dry and air out well before you place the cham in it. The shefflera I need to wash and sanitize this weekend and hopefully by Monday the cham will be home sweet home, depending on the Silicon.

l_fc28d01ee95145ba8498ade7f929e15b.jpg

l_bb8ce5675acb4f6b9899b6399865fb2a.jpg

l_ea9e4799e93c408da5fa997979e2c8e2.jpg

I am trying to find some sort of buckle or clip to have the bottome detach from the whole enclosure, but I can't find anything. Any suggestions?

It seems like he is going to attach it with some kind of clip that he hasn't figured out yet.

Maybe you could make a "lip" around the base that the top could just sit in? No clips just a 1 or 2 inch lip that will keep the top from sliding off? Idk just throwing it out there

Drainage

Currently I have no intention of making a drainage system; however, if water buildup becomes an issue I can modify the tub. That is what is so nice about this 5$ tub at home depot. I can place the hole for my drainage anywhere. As for the plant (Shefflera), you are not supposed to water it too much. You just need to keep the soil damp up to 3 inches and ensure they do not go through long periods of dryness. I can solve this by having dried out moss above the cocofiber soil, and above the moss I will place good sized rocks to keep the cham from eating the moss. Also, I will probably keep some paper towels at the bottom of the tub to suck up any excess water that may collect during misting but other than that it should be ok.

I just can't wait to start hanging the vines, bamboo and fake plants around the enclosure. My cham is increasingly growing bigger and my little 18"x12"x24" enclsoure is shrinking. So i need to get him relocated asap.

Back
Top Bottom