Bump?

Wowbango

Established Member
While cleaning one of my girls' cage today, I noticed she had a slight bump right under her front left foot. This seems to have come up overnight as it is not something i noticed yesterday when cleaning her cage. Any idea what it might be and what I can do to cure it? Some sort of topical cream or should I consider taking to vet? Thanks for the advice folks.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2573.jpg
    IMG_2573.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 249
Water retention and poor feeder gutloads have been known to cause it. Most of the time it happens after a bad shipment of crickets raised on dogfood or similar.

That looks more like a growth than other examples of edema I've seen.

Is it more of a larger squishy area or do you mean the bump right in the armpit?

Is it more of a larger squishy area or do you mean the bump right in the armpit?

It's the bump under the armpit. Doesn't seem hard or anything, and didn't seem to bother her when touched it. It did seem squishy when touched.

The left front leg bump is classic for the female panthers. Most edemas I have seen with panther gals, go left leg first, then right one appears. Coincidence or not?

My Jax had a few lumps when I got him, one in the armpit in a similar location. Over three years, they never changed, but remained discreet semi nobby lumps in or under the skin. Occasionally shed would get stuck on them, but so long as nothing changed, I didn't worry too much.

JF - I've not had to deal with edema in person. I've seen lots of pictures of the classic "bosom-like" swelling it causes. These pictures seem to show almost a pustule... Would it appear like this - as a nodule almost like a pimple?

Last edited:
My Jax had a few lumps when I got him, one in the armpit in a similar location. Over three years, they never changed, but remained discreet semi nobby lumps in or under the skin. Occasionally shed would get stuck on them, but so long as nothing changed, I didn't worry too much.

JF - I've not had to deal with edema in person. I've seen lots of pictures of the classic "bosom-like" swelling it causes. These pictures seem to show almost a pustule... Would it appear like this - as a nodule almost like a pimple?

Yeah, it creeped me out. I read days worth of edema and gular edema on here. Omar's gal's bump is a dead ringer for mine. Especially, the overnight appearance. There is always a chance of misdiagnosis. But, her 'bump' is spot on of mine. I am not sure if I photographed mine. I will check my server, when near pc. If I have some, I will post. If I had to bet my house: edema. Took around 4 months to disappear. She had 'bumps' under both armpits and swollen neck. She never missed a meal, laid bad eggs, got dehydrated, etc... nothing but bumps and a swollen neck. Made 100% recovery.

I'm going to agree with Lathis, doesn't look like any edema I've seen on my Panther girls. Looks more like a cyst or lumpy nodule. I've seen lumps in the arm pit and shoulder areas on panthers that never seemed to bother the cham or affect their behavior. I've also had female panthers get edema only when they were gravid, the rest of the time they appeared perfectly normal.
I'd keep an eye on the lump, if it doesn't change or affect her behavior then don't worry about it. Just don't let her see it in a mirror- some female panthers are very self conscious about the way they appear!

Im with junglefries. My male panther got this atm. It goes away and comes back. I was sure it was almost gone a week ago but it seems like it recently came back. The bumps don't last whole days either. Since my cham got it and I asked for help for it on the forums but felt like I got cursed to death by a certain member who said it was fungal infection caused by my glass terrarium I had to do my own research on old posts etc. I found something about vitamin imbalance that seemed like a theory by the guy who wrote it but he was pretty much on his own too and no one had an answer. He had the same symptoms as my panther + extreme neck swelling. But yeah anyway I'm with junglefries theory. This isn't a permanent thing :)

Back
Top Bottom