Breeding Veiled Chameleons (waiting 6 months to a year)

I think you really need to master simple husbandry techniques before even thinking about breeding. It's ok to ask questions here and there to critique your husbandry, but you shouldn't be asking questions about basic husbandry issues. I suggest you wait the year to breed, as this way you can be absolutely sure you really want to breed. I know you've gotten some grief on this thread, but we just want you to realize how much of a time consuming hobby this can be if you decide breed.

P.S. I have attached a link that you really should look at.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-thoughts-breeding-2612/

I think you really need to master simple husbandry techniques before even thinking about breeding. It's ok to ask questions here and there to critique your husbandry, but you shouldn't be asking questions about basic husbandry issues. I suggest you wait the year to breed, as this way you can be absolutely sure you really want to breed. I know you've gotten some grief on this thread, but we just want you to realize how much of a time consuming hobby this can be if you decide breed.

P.S. I have attached a link that you really should look at.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-thoughts-breeding-2612/

oh I am holding off on breeding for some time. and its just a little question here and there that i have forgot to ask a while back. and i don't mind the critisism. thanks for caring! :)

-Rave

I'm glad to see you are sticking with chameleons! I am sure in 6-12 months you will have already learned everything you need to know or given up. Stick with it and do your best! I started breeding reptiles when I was 13 but my parents were involved too. Just read as much as you can and spoil you chameleons you have until then! Do you have any specific questions?

Good luck!
Dustin

I'm glad to see you are sticking with chameleons! I am sure in 6-12 months you will have already learned everything you need to know or given up. Stick with it and do your best! I started breeding reptiles when I was 13 but my parents were involved too. Just read as much as you can and spoil you chameleons you have until then! Do you have any specific questions?

Good luck!
Dustin

haha I am sticking with it :) i am going to find a local breeder to breed my cham with. someone offered an incubator to use but i need help raising them :) right now my female is showing receptive colouring. :)

Did you actually breed your dog?

no, not on purpose. we got her when she was 7 months and she is currently 9 months. we got her because my brothers friend didn't have time for her and my dad just past away and the next day we got another puppy. we are scared for her right now we don't want her to get hurt. so we are watching her carefully. i have been through alot of dog and cat births so i know what to expect it has been a few years since then but we have everything we need for her. we tried kenneling her when we were gone and doggy diapers but my male (BO) got into it.

haha I am sticking with it :) i am going to find a local breeder to breed my cham with. someone offered an incubator to use but i need help raising them :) right now my female is showing receptive colouring. :)

Wait, when do you plan on breeding? Let her lay an infertile clutch and see how that goes for you. I wouldn't use an incubator at all, most people on here do not. If you need help raising them you are not ready yet.

Dustin

Wait, when do you plan on breeding? Let her lay an infertile clutch and see how that goes for you. I wouldn't use an incubator at all, most people on here do not. If you need help raising them you are not ready yet.

Dustin

well she already layed a clutch... and a breeder offered to help me out with the process when i got her. so i am going to jump at the chance he breed multiple reptiles, chams, geckos, turtles, frogs, tortoises.. hes a very nice man too :) and i wont use an incubator if you don't think its usefull. and i won't let her breed for a while until i have my facts all lined up and ducks in a row :) or should i say Chams? :p

can we not just supply some helpful information instead of causing more and more fights? I know you will tell me its not about the persons feelings but about the better care of the chameleons, but please, is this not getting a bit out of hand????

I am 15 and have been keeping chameleons for almost 4 years, i have bred my chams twice, i have had the worst accidents and problems due to my husbandary mistakes and lack of knowledge, i think we have all messed up somewhere, for me it was even harder to find out how to look after them properely as i live in s.a and i didnt have internet before!

Froggthecham when did the breeding age change from atleast 10 months to now 18 months? Just curious do you comment from experience? I only bred my females when they were almost 3 years of age, which to be honest was a mistake, they were my first chameleons and because i did not care of them as good as what i would of if i had the knowledge that i do now they were not very healthy to be breeders (1 female died and the other is still living) becuase of that the hatchlings i had from the one female were weak, out of the 17 eggs i had 10 healthy babies came out. And the same female laid a clutch in march of about 35 eggs, only 4 ended up fertile and 1 of those fertile eggs died a few weeks ago, so far 2 of the eggs are bigger than the 3rd.

Chameleonrave theres no need to get rid of your chams. Keep them and learn everything you can, you are starting off way better than what i did and you are asking the questions i should of asked in the beginning if i had known about this site.
amen to that:)

Back
Top Bottom