Breeding Veiled Chameleons (waiting 6 months to a year)

well i realize that Stefan is smarter with Chams with me and all, but what they say about me keeping mine and attempting to breed them when they are ready? my female is almost a year and this winter she is ready to try and breed. so i would like to try but i need the info and the supplies and thats what part of this thread is to get knowledge from it and not jump in blinsidedly and go wtf am i suppose to do now?!

Read the link CainsChams gave you. ALOT OF GOOD INFO:D

Thats one con of being a member here. Just cant let it get to you:)

ha yeah. but the hard thing is, is that i don't take other peoples crap so i am defensive about it. i do it with my turtles, and my chams also with my dog which is having puppies soon :eek: so its kinda hard not letting it get to me. and having someone in my life telling me i can do it and make it and stride for the best and then another person comes along and says your gonna fail why bother? it just bugs me sometime.

Good point. I know of people who have bought there first ever chameleons and first ever reptiles, and then in the first 2 weeks of owning them, they introduce and breed them. Then asking questions like "what now?".

You arent going into this blindly, thats for sure lol.

Read the link CainsChams gave you. ALOT OF GOOD INFO:D

oh trust i am going to :) I am tired right now been busy with my dubia colony they need a cringe face! lol :) but yeah they are ewww! i put them in a 10 gal. and the 10 gal into a 20 gal. so there is no escape! i put the big ones in a smaller shoe box containor (rubbermaid) and put oats and carrots for now :) should i try bananas?

Good point. I know of people who have bought there first ever chameleons and first ever reptiles, and then in the first 2 weeks of owning them, they introduce and breed them. Then asking questions like "what now?".

You arent going into this blindly, thats for sure lol.

i hope i am not! back in like feb. i was asking Stefan on youtube what i need to learn about them (pygmies atm) but them branched to Veileds :) and this breeding is so that i can get it done with this winter.. i don't want to harm them but I just want to know i can help her lay a clutch of healthy babies but first i need to get the info and supplies and get food and more food and more supplements! :D and more supplies! :)

Hey Chameleon Rave I'm glad you want to breed your chams :) Everyone on these forums are nice, and they are just looking out for you so you don't make any mistakes. But when you call them idiots, well that's just a bit harsh in my opinion. Heh. Good luck though :D

Hey Chameleon Rave I'm glad you want to breed your chams :) Everyone on these forums are nice, and they are just looking out for you so you don't make any mistakes. But when you call them idiots, well that's just a bit harsh in my opinion. Heh. Good luck though :D

thanks :D i don't mean it but maybe its a bit of their own medeicine! they can be very rude to others and maybe its their turn to be rude to? you know? I am not trying to be mean... I love the advice some of it rubs me the wrong way! and thanks for the luck! have a great afternoon! :D

Cost of raising 69 baby Veileds...
OK-these guys started hatching 07/08 and hatched for 10 days. 1 died early on after it's tongue appeared to get stuck on something, but all 68 others are still alive at 5 months of age. I still have 13 of them. Here is the cost breakdown...

3 plastic totes @ $7.99 each $23.97
15 rolls of papertowels @ $1.59 $23.85
1 48" Lowes flourescent bulb holder $9.00
1 48" Zoomed UVB $13.99
6 plastic plants @ $4.50 $27.00
3 clamp lamps @ $7.00 $21.00 Total $118.81

Feeders: Lucky Lure orders on the following dates @45.00 each (This includes crickets for adults...)
6/4, 6/17, 6/30, 7/7, 7/15, 7/20, 8/3, 8/14, 8/26 Total $405

From Ghanns
9/21 @ $45.95
10/2 @ $55.65 Total $101.60

From Lazy H Total $279.00

Snail Tail Fruit Flies
$19.91+$19.85 Total $39.76

Shipping supplies (Boxes, shipping cups, cold and heat packs)

I am going to take a guess at this...
(I got off easy here-someone gave me a bunch of stuff) Total $100.00
I am not including electricty, supplements, or the gas it took me to drive home from work to ship these guys out from work when gas was $4.00 a gallon!

TOTAL $1044.17

Maybe later I will make this even more scary by seeing how much I made off of them-I can tell you it isn't much!
https://www.chameleonforums.com/cost-raising-69-baby-veileds-18467/

Hope you have the bank account for that :rolleyes:

thats exactly what i wanted to see :) and thats why i put hard work into everything i do :) time to save for that amount. but couldn't it be cheaper if you buy from other suppliers? or does everything have to be brand spankin' new?

Thanks!

If you find something cheaper, Bonus!

Don't plan for it though.

Notice it was the feeders that cost me the most. Those little monsters ate me out of house and home.

Notice it was the feeders that cost me the most. Those little monsters ate me out of house and home.

I hope that it wasn't true about your home!!! D: and they are spendy! would it be cheaper to start cultures of them this summer? that way i can get the hang of them?

I hope that it wasn't true about your home!!! D: and they are spendy! would it be cheaper to start cultures of them this summer? that way i can get the hang of them?

You wont be able to set up a in-home colony large enough to sustain 1 clutch of babies.

10 pinheads a day * 25-40 mouths = more crickets then you'll be able to produce.

did you missread the title? seriously! i said 6 months to a year. and your talking to me about going back to school? what about Stefan yes hes been at it but hes still in school. and where do you not understand researching. i may plan on breeding them but i always am able to change my mind. i wanted insight not to get chewed out! and the food thing isn't much of a problem i just ordered some. so i would love to get some HELP ON WHAT TO EXPECT! AND ALSO WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IF I WERE EVER TO BREED! and also did i not post I would like to know what supplies i would need? and now for you I will get rid of my chams so you can be happy thanks for nothing.

I guess this is awful but just so you know several of us have been guiding Stefan. I talked to him on the phone this morning! After a bit of time his set up didn't meet all the babies needs. Also if it will make you feel any better when we all got on Stefan he threw a temper tantrum much like yours. Stefan has learned a lot that is true but at this point he isn't up to 100% on raising babies and he has been at it a while. Now on the other hand chameleonneeds, the guy (?) from SA has always seemed very knowledgeable and level headed to me. jmo
The bottom line is do what you want but know a lot of us - me included - will try to point you in the right direction, but that direction is our opinions.
Most if not all of us, yes again even me, have had people give us crap over what we are doing. We do this because we care about chameleons and want the best for each one and the off spring they may produce. Anyone producing babies that are not healthy to start with, is causing harm to the hobby & that reflects on all of us.
Now suck it up stop whining and YOU decide what YOU want to do.

I guess this is awful but just so you know several of us have been guiding Stefan. I talked to him on the phone this morning! After a bit of time his set up didn't meet all the babies needs. Also if it will make you feel any better when we all got on Stefan he threw a temper tantrum much like yours. Stefan has learned a lot that is true but at this point he isn't up to 100% on raising babies and he has been at it a while. Now on the other hand chameleonneeds, the guy (?) from SA has always seemed very knowledgeable and level headed to me. jmo
The bottom line is do what you want but know a lot of us - me included - will try to point you in the right direction, but that direction is our opinions.
Most if not all of us, yes again even me, have had people give us crap over what we are doing. We do this because we care about chameleons and want the best for each one and the off spring they may produce. Anyone producing babies that are not healthy to start with, is causing harm to the hobby & that reflects on all of us.
Now suck it up stop whining and YOU decide what YOU want to do.

yes i realize that everyone on here has had to make mistakes but you don't have to yell at them to fix it. and the help is nice if its not saying you need to fix your husbandry skills. everyone has bad days. and i am not breeding until i have a healthy male adult! I will not breed my male and female simply because of the age differance.

One thing not mentioned here is the time it takes out of one's day to properly care for babies. I put in about 3 hours a day misting, feeding, cleaning, checking, misting, feeding, checking my babies and then start it all over again. When in the fruit fly stage my babies get fed 3x/day. You can't just dump in a bunch of flies, but after awhile you know how much they will eat in about 15-30 minutes. I keep mine misted about 4 times a day. I do it gently and don't send them all swimming because I am lazy, but just enough to wet the leaves. I see them lick the leaves so I know what I do works. I clean their bins almost daily and go through lots of paper towels. I also have 1 room devoted to my chameleons.

Just some thoughts here about the ins and outs of chameleon raising.

Quote:
OK-these guys started hatching 07/08 and hatched for 10 days. 1 died early on after it's tongue appeared to get stuck on something, but all 68 others are still alive at 5 months of age. I still have 13 of them. Here is the cost breakdown...

1 48" Zoomed UVB $13.99

Feeders: Lucky Lure orders on the following dates @45.00 each (This includes crickets for adults...)

From Ghanns
9/21 @ $45.95

Snail Tail Fruit Flies

I am not including electricty, supplements, or the gas it took me to drive home from work to ship these guys out from work when gas was $4.00 a gallon!

TOTAL $1044.17

I don't know how you did it. I was going to make a thread like this and I got up my first months worth of expenses for 27 babies and it was over $1000.00.

Quote:

1 48" Zoomed UVB $13.99

From Ghanns
9/21 @ $45.95

Snail Tail Fruit Flies

TOTAL $1044.17

I don't know how you did it. I was going to make a thread like this and I got up my first months worth of expenses for 27 babies and it was over $1000.00.

Good gravy!!!

Back
Top Bottom