Backdrop for Enclosures?

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Its me again!!

I'm getting some hybrid Dragon Strand enclosures (should be arriving today!!) and I have been thinking about doing some backdrops for just the back wall of the enclosures. I do like the white sides as I feel it helps brighten up the enclosure more, but think something on the far back enclosure wall might look nice. I've also debated on doing the pond & stone background but with the enclosures being a bit more pricy I'm worried about ruining them with my attempts to decorate with the Pond & Stone stuff. Thoughts???

I'd love to see what others have done as backgrounds in their hybrid enclosures to give me some ideas so please share!!!

Some questions I do have:
1. How do you safely attach the backdrop to a hybrid enclosure?
2. Can mold and other yuckies grow behind it?
3. How long does the picture last with the UVB lights and with water going through the enclosure?
4. With a hybrid enclosure should I make sure to buy the cling type picture or does it matter?

If I did get backgrounds I would order from the same place that Neptune recommends.

@Gingero did a video about adding a backdrop. You may have already found it.

I kept mine white. I love how the light bounces all the way down the enclosure. Only thing bad about the white is it gets dirty easily.

For the pond and stone foam you need to anchor this to something more than the pvc. I have seen people use the egg crate sheet and they attach this to the ledge on the back with strong zip ties. Cutting out the place for the ledge to go through it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskol...-Crate-Light-Ceiling-Panel-1199233A/202025149

The pond and stone brand is the best I have seen. It holds up to UV exposure unlike the off brands because it was actually created for outdoor ponds. @MissSkittles has used the foam before. :)

The pond and stone brand is the best I have seen. It holds up to UV exposure unlike the off brands because it was actually created for outdoor ponds. @MissSkittles has used the foam before. :)
I did all faux backgrounds using the plastic egg crate and Great Stuff foam, covered with coco coir. It was a lot of expense and a lot of work and in the end, it looked nice but…. After a while I realized how dark my enclosures were and looked so much smaller. As my situation changed, I got rid of it and instead now have a blue sky with clouds fabric shower curtain wrapped around the back and sides. The print is lost to the screen, but it’s so much brighter and airy. Also, since I lost 2 of my chameleons to cancer of some unknown type, I will always question if the chemicals from the faux backdrop were responsible.

@Gingero did a video about adding a backdrop. You may have already found it.

I kept mine white. I love how the light bounces all the way down the enclosure. Only thing bad about the white is it gets dirty easily.

For the pond and stone foam you need to anchor this to something more than the pvc. I have seen people use the egg crate sheet and they attach this to the ledge on the back with strong zip ties. Cutting out the place for the ledge to go through it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskol...-Crate-Light-Ceiling-Panel-1199233A/202025149

I totally did watch her video :). Thats actually where I got the idea. I know she has screen enclosures so I'm just curious how those backdrops would work on a hybrid.

Ugh...that pond and stone thing sounds overly complicated.......I'm not a handy person at all and if i'm putting it on my enclosure I worry I will ruin it.

We need like a thread on here with everyones decked out enclosures so I can get ideas. I really want to have mine look amazing as I upgrade them but I'm not the creative type...

Hi hi! Luna’s enclosure is a hybrid Dragon Strand and she has a printed background.

You can see how I attached them in the video below. No mold or fading and I’ve had them installed for multiple years at this point.

I have used backdrops in several of my enclosures, I really like them. The easiest way, I've found is on amazon. It's called wall mural peel n stick. They are waterproof, like wallpaper in vinyl. Thin like a sticker so don't take up space inside enclosure. U can wipe if off. In my open range enclosures I just mount it directly to my walls, which also piggy-backs as wall protection😊. Inside closed enclosures, I have mounted it to thin board, like pvc, plexiglass or thin wood panels and then put that onto the backside. This way also gives you something to mount onto, like branches or pot for plants etc etc. My oldest setup like this is over 5 yrs old and still looks like new. I'll post some of mine for inspiration 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_143744_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_143744_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 26
U can also combi with spray foam for 3d effects, these are some side panels, so sunlight can shine thru enclosure

Attachments

• 20200728_213153.jpg
    20200728_213153.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210702_193234.jpg
    20210702_193234.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210320_105810.jpg
    20210320_105810.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210321_115441.jpg
    20210321_115441.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210702_192854.jpg
    20210702_192854.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 28
Some side views and a multi room setup I built for babies, love cuz it's super light weight so I can take it outside. Made out of pvc wood panels. Which is waterproof and lightweight.

Attachments

• 20211022_123124.jpg
    20211022_123124.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210902_231343.jpg
    20210902_231343.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210330_125609.jpg
    20210330_125609.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210702_192004.jpg
    20210702_192004.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211022_122840.jpg
    20211022_122840.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210321_115455.jpg
    20210321_115455.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210321_115246.jpg
    20210321_115246.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210321_115307.jpg
    20210321_115307.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211026_185547.jpg
    20211026_185547.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 29
Hi hi! Luna’s enclosure is a hybrid Dragon Strand and she has a printed background.

You can see how I attached them in the video below. No mold or fading and I’ve had them installed for multiple years at this point.

Huzzah! Thank you! I didn't realize she was in a hybrid. Thanks much!

This is exactly what I was hoping for thank you!!!

I have used backdrops in several of my enclosures, I really like them. The easiest way, I've found is on amazon. It's called wall mural peel n stick. They are waterproof, like wallpaper in vinyl. Thin like a sticker so don't take up space inside enclosure. U can wipe if off. In my open range enclosures I just mount it directly to my walls, which also piggy-backs as wall protection😊. Inside closed enclosures, I have mounted it to thin board, like pvc, plexiglass or thin wood panels and then put that onto the backside. This way also gives you something to mount onto, like branches or pot for plants etc etc. My oldest setup like this is over 5 yrs old and still looks like new. I'll post some of mine for inspiration 😊
Oh fantastic thank you so much! I love knowing it lasts a long time!

U can also combi with spray foam for 3d effects, these are some side panels, so sunlight can shine thru enclosure
Literal art! I love the 3d effect. I wonder if I can pull something like that off and have it come out as amazing as yours! I LOVE what you've done with your enclosures.

Literal art! I love the 3d effect. I wonder if I can pull something like that off and have it come out as amazing as yours! I LOVE what you've done with your enclosures.
Thank you so much. I really enjoy creating then, you can absolutely pull it off. Spray foam is very easy to work with, judt don't get it on your skin, impossible to get off,lol

I did all faux backgrounds using the plastic egg crate and Great Stuff foam, covered with coco coir. It was a lot of expense and a lot of work and in the end, it looked nice but…. After a while I realized how dark my enclosures were and looked so much smaller. As my situation changed, I got rid of it and instead now have a blue sky with clouds fabric shower curtain wrapped around the back and sides. The print is lost to the screen, but it’s so much brighter and airy. Also, since I lost 2 of my chameleons to cancer of some unknown type, I will always question if the chemicals from the faux backdrop were responsible.
I'm reading through all of these again as I pull together ideas. I am so sorry to hear that. Maybe I wont use the great stuff foam after all....that makes me nervous...

I'm reading through all of these again as I pull together ideas. I am so sorry to hear that. Maybe I wont use the great stuff foam after all....that makes me nervous...
I’ve no proof of anything and I used a couple of other products too, like Flex Seal and Plasti Dip. Everything I found said they were safe or I wouldn’t have used them. I do have to wonder though if being surrounded on 3 sides by all the chemical products along with potential effects of the uvb and heat on the panels played into it all. I kept two of the panels and Stella and Kali each have one in their enclosure. The remaining sides of their enclosures are covered on the outside with fabric shower curtain, so much better ventilation and minimal exposure to chemicals.

I’ve no proof of anything and I used a couple of other products too, like Flex Seal and Plasti Dip. Everything I found said they were safe or I wouldn’t have used them. I do have to wonder though if being surrounded on 3 sides by all the chemical products along with potential effects of the uvb and heat on the panels played into it all. I kept two of the panels and Stella and Kali each have one in their enclosure. The remaining sides of their enclosures are covered on the outside with fabric shower curtain, so much better ventilation and minimal exposure to chemicals.
Got it....So maybe I could do something fairly minimal with a printed picture on the back wall and then add some things going off the sides to give it a little 3d effect but not a ton so its not a lot of chemicals... Does that sound ok?

Got it....So maybe I could do something fairly minimal with a printed picture on the back wall and then add some things going off the sides to give it a little 3d effect but not a ton so its not a lot of chemicals... Does that sound ok?
Yes, I think as in all things, moderation is key. I had all three sides of each enclosure fully foamed and covered with just the door and top open for ventilation. Unless a scientist does a detailed study to tell me otherwise, I will always wonder if maybe the heat or uvb released low doses of chemical(s) that were at least in part responsible. Maybe I’m just looking for it to make sense why my animals got cancer (& renal failure) and died, maybe I’m looking to blame myself. I have no answer to that.
But I like how @Camiezone has integrated foam into her printed backgrounds. They are so lovely! 💗

Back
Top Bottom