Back from Zambia with a question!

Andie

Avid Member
Hello, All!

Just returned from an amazing missions trip to Zambia. While there, I searched high and low, hoping to see some chams, but to no avail.

Then it dawned on me; It's the dry season. No rain, means no water, means no chams!

Here's the question: Where on earth do they go?

We visited a small safari park and I asked the animal expert there if he thought they migrated (because I hadn't heard of them doing that) and he said they do. So, where would they migrate to, since all of sub-Saharan Africa is in the dry season.

Any of you experts out there have an answer to this? I was so disappointed not to see them in their natural environment......but I did have an awesome cheetah encounter to make up for it. LOL!

Different species probably have different ways they cope and I'm no expert. Consider that some may just hunker down low in very dense shrubs where they are protected and it might be a tiny bit more humid, others may go into some sort of torpor (not the right term, but something like a lower metabolic state to save energy), and others might migrate vertically or horizontally using corridors along streams or rivers. I would guess that whatever they choose they are a lot harder to spot! Hope you had an amazing trip!!!

IMG_5898.PNG
Sorry you didn't see any chams, but I think we'd all love to see pics of your cheetah encounter if you have any!
How's this?. ;)
We walked them and got to pet them. They are the most exquisite creatures I've encountered face to face!

oh my gosh thats so cool that you got to see them up close! its so funny, they have the exact same facial expression and are looking in the same direction:LOL:

Different species probably have different ways they cope and I'm no expert. Consider that some may just hunker down low in very dense shrubs where they are protected and it might be a tiny bit more humid, others may go into some sort of torpor (not the right term, but something like a lower metabolic state to save energy), and others might migrate vertically or horizontally using corridors along streams or rivers. I would guess that whatever they choose they are a lot harder to spot! Hope you had an amazing trip!!!

It's called estivation.

oh my gosh thats so cool that you got to see them up close! its so funny, they have the exact same facial expression and are looking in the same direction:LOL:
Yes, the moment they left their enclosure, they start scanning back and forth for prey.

We were allowed to pet them and scratch their heads, but they really stay constantly focused on finding something to chase.

When they purr and growl, it's the coolest sound! They even lick each other's faces.

It's called estivation.
Jajean, can you elaborate on this? I really want to know how they cope in the dry season.

Our friends, who live in Zambia, say they usually see chams walking on the side of the road. We saw none while we were there.

It's called estivation.
OK. I looked up the word. Do they actually stop eating and drinking? Do they just go to sleep?

We were told it absolutely will not rain in the dry season.

It makes me wonder about last year. They had one of the worst droughts during rainy season. I'm thinking it killed off a lot of chameleons.

Thanks for the pic, it's really awesome! Were you at a sanctuary, or something similar? Just wondering why they were tame enough to pet (and am very jealous you got to do that!)

OK. I looked up the word. Do they actually stop eating and drinking? Do they just go to sleep?

We were told it absolutely will not rain in the dry season.

It makes me wonder about last year. They had one of the worst droughts during rainy season. I'm thinking it killed off a lot of chameleons.

Many animals don't survive the dry season. One species in Madagascar is completely wiped out in the dry season and the eggs laid after the rainy season are all that is left of the species.

I lost a red-eared slider (turtle) once in the summer in Saudi Arabia. I found her six months later alive and well when the lawn was dug up and replaces--she had dug under the lawn (which was watered) and just waited out the heat.

It is similar to hibernation--animals slow down their metabolism which reduces their need for water. I have no idea if chameleons will enter into a state of estivation--i just supplied the word @Carlton was searching for.

Thanks for the pic, it's really awesome! Were you at a sanctuary, or something similar? Just wondering why they were tame enough to pet (and am very jealous you got to do that!)
LOL!. It's called Chaminuka. A small 1-day type of safari. We drove all around the reserve in a safari vehicle.
The cheetah encounter was an extra thing you choose to do.

The cheetahs were raised from birth by humans.

They live in a large enclosure and come out 2-4 times per day.

You walk them down a road till you enter the resort compound where they take pictures. It was amazing.
We never felt rushed or anything.

My daughter, who's as critter crazy as me, wanted more time with them just to touch them and take pics. The handlers were happy to oblige.

Many animals don't survive the dry season. One species in Madagascar is completely wiped out in the dry season and the eggs laid after the rainy season are all that is left of the species.

I lost a red-eared slider (turtle) once in the summer in Saudi Arabia. I found her six months later alive and well when the lawn was dug up and replaces--she had dug under the lawn (which was watered) and just waited out the heat.

It is similar to hibernation--animals slow down their metabolism which reduces their need for water. I have no idea if chameleons will enter into a state of estivation--i just supplied the word @Carlton was searching for.
Wow! Cool story about your turtle!

Thank you so much for the info. It's just amazing that any of them survive the dry season because it's really dry! LOL!

I have to say; As amazing as the cheetah experience was, thats not why we were in Zambia.

We went, as a family, to attend Camp Life. It's a summer camp for the orphans who live in the slums of Lusaka. THAT was a life changer!
(y)

My friend just returned from Zambia and she did see chameleons but I don't know what species because she doesn't know chameleons well. I havent seen photos yet. She also got to pat the cheetahs and lions and ride elephants. She went on a night time safari too...a little scary she said.

Back
Top Bottom