Baby Veiled..Eye Closed???

lady373

I've had my male baby veiled chameleon for exactly one week today. He is so gorgeous! When I got him they told me he was around 2 1/2 months old. Since I got him I have his basking light, a 100 watt red light, at about 90 degrees and I had a coil uvb light reptiglo 5.0. He has a screen cage and 3 live hibiscus plants he just loves to climb and hide in. He's friendly and will though sometimes hide away from me when I open his cage, doesn't hiss or anything.

About 3 days ago I noticed he started to close one of his eyes. It's not swollen and he's eating around 10 small crickets calcium (not w/d3) coated every day. He closes his eye for a brief period, of around 1 minute from what I've observed and then he opens it when I start talking to him. After he opens it for a bit he'll close it again. I've sprayed him with water and I IMMEDIATELY took out the coil uvb bulb when I found out it wasn't good for chameleons.

Since then, for the last 3 days, I've been taking him outside to absorb natural sunlight. I'm lucky enough to live in San Diego so he gets really nice weather here. When he's outside he's a really nice green color, active and he's eating well too. I haven't seen his poop since he's been outside but I added another hibiscus plant so he's able to hide better so I'm thinking his poop is falling into the dirt as opposed to outside the vase like before.

I bring him in around 7pm and put on the basking light at around 75 degrees so if the temperature drops it automatically turns on to be that temperature so he doesn't get too cold. He sleeps around 12-12 1/2 hours every night and when he wakes up I immediately feed him and take him outside.

I now have a new linear reptiglo 5.0 uvb light for him and I haven't used it since I have him outside during the day.

It's really worrying me that he's having his eye closed. :confused:He's active, eating well and a nice green color. He has only been exposed to natural sunlight so I'm not sure what to do. I've read up on all the possibilities and I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

your basking temp is too high for a baby. Get rid of the 100 watt and try like a 40 watt regular white housebulb. A 40 might even be too much. You want a basking temp in the low 80's or close to 80.

Thanks. I only have it on during the night and its set at 75 in case the temperature drops below that it turns on. I'll get a 40 watt instead. Thanks :)

you should not have ANY lights on at night. They can take temps way less than 75 degrees. The 60's is even ok.

you should not have ANY lights on at night. They can take temps way less than 75 degrees. The 60's is even ok.

Ok, perfect. Thank you for the tip. :)
Is there anything I should be concerned about with his eye? Since it's summer time, I figured the natural sunlight would do him best.

sometimes their eyes are sensitive to lights when they are young. See if lowering your basking temp and turning off your lights at night doesn't help. Good to get him out in the natural sunlight. Just make sure it is not too hot for himl.

Some coil and spiral lights can cause eye and health issues. You could try using a different UVB (like the long linear Repti-sun 5.0 fluorescent tube light).

Thanks everyone!
I really appreciate the feedback.
I have a linear repti glo 5.0 UVB light. I am definitely never going near the coil lights again, just in case.
I'm taking him outside during the day and I feed him crickets outside (while in his cage) and he's placed in a sunny but partial-shade area in case he gets too hot. I mist him three times a day and he has a drip system in place.
I bring him in at night and he seems very happy and relaxed, moreso than the few days I had him inside with the basking and coil lights.
Tonight I didn't put on the basking red night light since I assume he's digesting with natural sunlight. If thats not the case, please tell me otherwise. :)
I'm considering continuing taking him outside during the day over the course of summer and when winter comes along using the linear light with a 40 watt basking bulb.
At around what age is the 100watt bulb good to use for him? I already have it so I'll just keep it to use for when he's old enough.
Thanks! :D

Yes, he opens both eyes and is more active outside than inside, including today even though its more of a cloudy day. I've caught him closing his eye only a couple times when outside but then I move him to the shade and he's back to normal.
I looked at both eyes this morning after reading up some more on eye sensitivity issues for chams and I don't see swelling or sinking in. It may just be that he's one of those chams who's really sensitive to light?
Either way, I've never seen him happier than when he's outside. Guess he feels happier being able to see the garden from his cage :)

I was told not to use a red light at all that it could bother their eyes! Maybe a senior member can confirm this for you. But I don't use any lights at night time. Hope you little guy is feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom