At Home Cricket Breeding

2 - Supplies

Bins: Two of each. One on standby, cleaned and ready.

Main bin - one large bin containing food, water, nursery and egg laying bins. I went on the larger side to ensure I had enough space for the crickets to thrive. Also my bin is on wheels to cart off for cleaning. Sterilite 151L.

Nursery bin - Sterilite 14L. Where pinheads will grow until moving into the main bin.

Egg laying bin - Rubbermaid sandwich container.

Aluminum Screen - leftover from my terrarium built. Use gloves! You will get stuck and bleed. There was an incident….

Duct Tape to tape screen to bin covers for ventilation

Acadia Halogen Heat bulb 100W. This thing puts out some serious heat. My target temp is 88F

Temperature controller - Inkbird ITC-308.

Vermiculite - cricket substrate and odor control

Water Storing Crystals - Miracle Gro

Coco Noir - egg laying substrate.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0838.png
    IMG_0838.png
    878.1 KB · Views: 20
3-Build

Fairly straightforward. I cut ventilation holes for the bin lids. Used the duct tape to fasten the aluminum screen into place.

For added anti-escape measures I used hot glue to seal up the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 15
I will definitely be following you on this! I too have had terrible luck with receiving crickets for my Cham! I get all my other bugs no problem from Dubia.com but can’t find reliable crickets yet

I will definitely be following you on this! I too have had terrible luck with receiving crickets for my Cham! I get all my other bugs no problem from Dubia.com but can’t find reliable crickets yet
Thanks! I’m definitely not a fan of adding breeding to the list and of responsibilities! But let’s see where this takes me ;). Stay tuned.

Good luck. Follow the guides. I tried cutting corners on a cricket bin and it failed, but now there is an accidental self sustaining population in my bioactive enclosure.
That would drive me nuts. I would never know how much Kam is eating! How do you do it?

Question. Now that I’m ready to start breeding, should there be special consideration on where the banded crickets are sourced from? I was considering Josh Frogs or Rainbowmealworms. Does it really matter where I start for a food quality feeder cricket lineage? Might be overthinking this one a bit.

Question. Now that I’m ready to start breeding, should there be special consideration on where the banded crickets are sourced from? I was considering Josh Frogs or Rainbowmealworms. Does it really matter where I start for a food quality feeder cricket lineage? Might be overthinking this one a bit.
I think any crickets that survive well (i.e. are good quality) should do. I have had good luck with Rainbowmealworms for my last batch, and I think Critter Depot banded crickets were good too (depending on where you are and which is closest). Could be that the Rainbowmealworms crickets aren't old enough in my case since I haven't seen eggs yet. But they are doing well

The Critter Depot ones laid quite a lot of eggs last time which was good for breeding. I would also order ones that aren't too small / young so you don't have to wait too long until they are mature enough to breed. Hope that helps 😊 Maybe someone else has more experience but just some ideas here

I could never with the crickets!!! I personally don't like them because they jump EVERYWHERE in the enclosure, and if your chameleon decides to be picky or is not hungry, the cricket will eat the chameleon alive when they are asleep!!! Idk about you, but I don't want to catch a million crickets before bedtime. However, this is now my choice. This is just something you have to consider when feeding crickets to your chameleon. Best of luck! 🍀

I could never with the crickets!!! I personally don't like them because they jump EVERYWHERE in the enclosure, and if your chameleon decides to be picky or is not hungry, the cricket will eat the chameleon alive when they are asleep!!! Idk about you, but I don't want to catch a million crickets before bedtime. However, this is now my choice. This is just something you have to consider when feeding crickets to your chameleon. Best of luck! 🍀
Thanks Ray. I use a Neptonion feeder and take away what is not eaten a couple of hours later. Kam is a ferocious cricket killing machine. He usually dispatches 10 or so in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks Ray. I use a Neptonion feeder and take away what is not eaten a couple of hours later. Jan is a ferocious cricket killing machine. He usually dispatches 10 or so in less than 10 minutes.
That is very smart. My baby chammie used to LOVE LOVE LOVE the super fat and chonky crickets!!! Neptonion feeders are a good way to go, but I also like cricket domes! The only thing about the cricket domes is that they can get bulky if you're planning to keep it in the enclosure 24/7

Back
Top Bottom