Am I just unlucky? Or could there be a reason..

jade2122

Ok so as my last post had been about my 4.5 month old panther cham Bach, had a hemipenis prolapse and underwent surgery to remove that hemipenis on Saturday. All was well he seems to be doing great. So then yesterday I'm doing my daily visual inspection of Bach and noticed his other hemipenis poking out just slightly. I decided to give him a little time and check on him again just incase I caught him in a "private moment" and when I went back to check on him it was still out. I took him out of cage and put some KY jelly on it to keep it moist and make it easier for him to pull it back in, but no such luck. He still has the small portion sticking out. Sooooo now it looks like he will need the other hemipenis removed as well. My question is

- What are the odds of him having both hemipenis prolapse in such a short amount of time?

- Could it be something environmental/dietary that I am doing wrong? I know generally prolapses aren't caused by any certain reason.

I don't care about not being able to breed him, kinda sucks since I know he would be a great cham to stud out. But somehow I just feel like either I am very unlucky or doing something wrong. Dr Alfonso says there is nothing that I would be doing to cause it..but just makes you wonder :confused:

I would suspect the surgery for the first one caused some internal scarring or swelling that made the second one more prone to the same problem. Chams heal relatively slowly so possibly some swelling caused this.

I know that intestinal prolapses can be caused by higher amounts of chitin in the diet and that low level dehydration can cause hardened urates, compacted feces, and straining to expel them. Whether this contributes to hemipene prolapses I don't know. It could.

It is a good thought that swelling from first surgery is partly to blame, I know when I was trying to help him pull it back in last night, gently and will ky jelly of course I didn't have much wiggle room due to his wound and stitches on other side. I of course was super gentle because I know his one side has to be sore so didn't want to be poking around there too much.

Well my baby Bach is scheduled for another surgery on Friday, hope he isn't bothered by not having his manhood anymore :( I feel for him, no ladies ever in his future.

I am really sorry to hear about the problems your guy is having. However if Dr Alfonso said you did noting to cause it, you didn't. It is that simple, unlike a few vets I will always believe anything Dr Alfonso tells me, he is way wonderful!!:)

Thanks, I just can't help but ask myself..is it my fault? even though I know it isn't. Well my little baby is a trooper to be going through all of this

Well Bach's surgery went well today, he seems a bit out of it but I wouldn't expect much else after two surgeries in a week. The vet has him on Baytril for 7-10 days just to be safe no infections are present or start. Funny thing is that Bach has gotten so used to being handled everyday through this whole ordeal that giving him his medicine was quite the task. Sounds simple, make cham open his mouth at you..not so simple. I take him out and flip him over so he is on his back in my hand thinking he would open up for me but instead he layed there like such a good boy thinking I was just going to be doing the usual ky jelly lube up down there. Took me many tries to irritate him just enough to open mouth up enough to get syringe with medicine in there. I guess the last week or two has really tamed him. Well I am just glad my little baby is ok and hopefully no more trips to the vets for a long time.
-cooper007 -- No not expensive, first surgery $110 and second surgery $140, not bad prices figuring he had to be put under, etc. Dr. Alfonso was great once again.

I'm glad it went well...

I suspect once he gets the anesthetic completely out of his system he'll make that dosing process as hard as you remember it.

and, I agree, those prices are fantastic! I sort of view the vet like I view the car repair place...if it's under $500 it's been a good day.

I feel sorry for you Jade and for your wallet. However, i am glad to see that your chameleon has a good person to take care of him! :) And a good vet close always helps too! :D

Back
Top Bottom