Adult Crickets?

Tanya77

I am down to 1 small cricket, I am thinking some had got out last night and my cats and dog ate them cause there were absolutely no trace of any crickets. I do have adult crickets - Is it okay to feed him two to three adult crickets for tonight. I have to drive an hour away to get crickets so was hoping feeding a few larger ones wouldn't hurt any? I heard that the wings and the legs on the adult cricket have been known to injure a chameleon. My husband said, rip off the wings and take the back legs off, that just seems cruel to me! Almost as I'd be torturing them.

I feed the larger ones to some Firebelly toads that my son has. What do you all think?

The Chameleon is approx 3 to 4 months old and it's a Jackson..

Please let me know if he'd be okay with a larger adult cricket instead of a baby cricket.

It just depends on how big they really are..normal rule of thumb is no larger than the chams mouth is wide..and also one thing to consider, the larger the food item, the larger the poo (that can cause a prolapse)..however my chams generally like the larger food items, and i monitor them while they eat them..

as for the wings, no they do not pose an issue, the legs possibly do, but my chams usually leave a pair of legs on the ground when they eat crickets (somehow they bite them off as they are eating them..

my 5 month old has been eating adults for a good month to month and a half with no problem but i do monitor him while he eats

I started my veiled on medium/standard crickets at 4.5 months. if they are wider than the space between his eyes, it's best not to risk it. I'm still cautious of the adult ones & I know it's really horrible, but taking the back legs and wings off is probably safest. If you squeeze the back legs, they usually just pop off, try not to pull - I turned one insideout doing that :eek: He should be ok, taking the legs off reduces the risk of choking and means that you can put them in a food bowl without them escaping.

Thanks, I found two smaller cricket in the bunch - I am thinking these are juveniles the two I pulled out - doesn't chirp like the others and they're males..

Back
Top Bottom