1 year old Veiled suddenly stopped eating

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, approx. 1 yr old (we got him at about 3-6 mo.)
  • Handling – Very little for several months. Though not very shy (he doesn’t hide) he didn’t seem inclined to be handled but that changed dramatically last month. He started coming to the enclosure door whenever we got near it – now when we open it he comes out quickly and will climb up our arm and head, then keeps climbing around if he has a chance. He’ll climb off onto something and keep exploring - after a little bit we put out our arm, he climbs on and we put him back in his enclosure. If we go near cage, even 15 min later, he exhibits same behavior (waiting for latch to open). Temp is within range.
  • Feeding – Previously a big eater, at least 10 crickets a day (we alternate days with a calcium supplement), wax worms, snap peas, strawberries, raspberries. About 8 days ago he stopped eating anything.
  • Supplements - ZooMed reptivite with D3
  • Watering - We use an intermittent misting system and a running fountain that we clean once per week.
  • Fecal Description – Normal as far as we can tell, but much less now. Never tested for parasites.
  • History – When we got him he was in a small, pretty bare cage. Would hiss if we got close. Now he seems very comfortable with us. Until this change in eating we would have said he was doing really well. One of the attached pics shows him stressed by a mirror – this just happened. He was on my daughter’s arm, climbed off quickly and onto the cup, then got stressed by the mirror image (we are guessing). After this we put him back in his enclosure. That was 15 min ago and just now, when I went to take a picture of his enclosure, he came again to the latch waiting for it to open (temp 75 degrees at cooler part of cage).

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Lg mesh enclosure, 3 ft w X 4 ft h X 2 ft
  • Lighting – Zoo Med UV florescent bulb, 1 100W Exo Terra infrared bulb, 1 100W ceramic infrared. Everything off at around 8:00 pm
  • Temperature – in winter between 67 (at night) and 90, now between 70-90 degrees
  • Humidity – it’s very dry here in Durango – no humidifier right now. We use an intermittent mister
  • Plants – One sm. ficus plant, artificial plants
  • Placement – In my daughter’s room by a window – at night we roll the cart back so he’s not directly against a window.
  • Location - US, Durango Colorado

So odd - I attached 5! Trying again. Yes re: the retivite, but he hasn't gotten any in a week now. Also, it's possible he may have gotten a little less than that in the last month (every 2 feedings instead of every other).

Attachments

• Front enclosure.jpg
    Front enclosure.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Enclosure - side.jpg
    Enclosure - side.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Wanting to leave cage.jpg
    Wanting to leave cage.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Waiting for hatch to open.jpg
    Waiting for hatch to open.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Stressed by mirror.jpg
    Stressed by mirror.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 54
So odd - I attached 5! Trying again. Yes re: the retivite, but he hasn't gotten any in a week now. Also, it's possible he may have gotten a little less than that in the last month (every 2 feedings instead of every other).
I am going to have you post in the other thread you did so we can keep it all in one place and hopefully an admin can delete this one.
See all my feedback in this thread of yours https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veiled-suddenly-stopped-eating.174849/

Back
Top Bottom