I just can't decide... Please help me choose my first Chameleon!

danfont

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been reading a while, and finally registered so I could make this first post! I want to thank the members of this community for providing such a great resource for information. I also follow a bunch of Facebook Chameleon groups (when I can stand the toxicity), and a lot YouTube videos of varying quality and accuracy -- but my main sources of good info have been Chameleon Academy and this forum. It is time for me to make some decisions!

I have ruled out the “big three” (Panther/Jackson’s/Veiled) - I would prefer a smaller species, something that could thrive in an 18x18x24 bioactive glass enclosure.

Right now my top two species in consideration are Elliot’s and Carpet Chameleons. They both have a lot of qualities I am looking for, but also a few cons. I’m wondering which of these would be better, of if there another species I should look into.

Elliot’s Chameleon (T. Ellioti)
Pros:
Chill temperament, somewhat docile, more tolerant of handling if necessary
Live bearing - no egg laying issues if I get a captive bred female
Longer lifespan than Carpet (5+ years with good care)
Cons:
From what I’ve heard, this species is relatively inactive. That might not be very interesting after a while, for a ‘display animal’ — I would like to have some activity and behavior to observe.
Night temperature requirements - would it be ok to keep at 67-68 degrees at night?

Carpet Chameleon (F. Lateralis)
Pros:
Beautiful coloring!
More reputable breeders than Elliot’s (although still not always readily available)
Cons:
Short life span of 2-3 years
Less hardy than Elliot's

Frankly, if it weren’t for the short lifespan, I would probably choose the Carpet Chameleon. Is there another species I should consider? The Jeweled is another that I really liked, and I also considered a Helmeted, but I can’t manage the recommended winter night time temperature drop. Not really interested in Brookesia or any ground dwellers - a smaller arboreal with some coloration would be preferred. Must be available in the USA captive bred as well (I don’t mind a reasonable wait for availability).

I know that the species I have mentioned aren't usually recommended for first time Cham keepers, but I will be going into this with preparation.

I look forward to any helpful opinions or advice!

K. Boehmeii is absolutely one species to consider. Extremely active, intelligent, colorful and just amazing. My fellow is already 4 years old and still rocking. But, they do like some colder temps at night, like other montane species.

I know that @MikeyBen has F. Lateralis, they may be able to chime in, Is there any chance you could get a bigger enclosure? Doesn't have to be HUGE I just haven't personally heard of many species "thriving" in something as small as 18x18x24, what's the next size up you could get? My T. Hoehnelii is very small and I keep him in a 24x24x48, I also plan to keep my upcoming K. Boehmeii in the same size, I do know that I am on the larger end for these species, just sharing my experience! I look forward to seeing what you land on and the building of your enclosure :) Welcome!

I know that @MikeyBen has F. Lateralis, they may be able to chime in, Is there any chance you could get a bigger enclosure? Doesn't have to be HUGE I just haven't personally heard of many species "thriving" in something as small as 18x18x24, what's the next size up you could get? My T. Hoehnelii is very small and I keep him in a 24x24x48, I also plan to keep my upcoming K. Boehmeii in the same size, I do know that I am on the larger end for these species, just sharing my experience! I look forward to seeing what you land on and the building of your enclosure :) Welcome!
Bigger is always better and my Boehmei went from 18x18x24 to free range because if you give them one inch to will take two. They’re extremely, extremely active. I know most keep them in 18x18x24, because they’re a size smaller than Hoehnelii. I believe @snitz427 and @dinomom keep / have kept them in such size enclosure. For me the greatest species I’ve owned, small but the biggest personality

Bigger is always better and my Boehmei went from 18x18x24 to free range because if you give them one inch to will take two. They’re extremely, extremely active. I know most keep them in 18x18x24, because they’re a size smaller than Hoehnelii. I believe @snitz427 and @dinomom keep / have kept them in such size enclosure. For me the greatest species I’ve owned, small but the biggest personality
Your praise and love for the K. Boehmeii is what made me jump on the opportunity to claim a pair of CBB, I am very excited to work with them once they are ready to go :)

Your praise and love for the K. Boehmeii is what made me jump on the opportunity to claim a pair of CBB, I am very excited to work with them once they are ready to go :)
Seriously, that’s amazing 💪🏻🥰 I’m still considering giving Ranjo a nice female for his last phase in life. But, they’re hard to get overhere 😕

Hi there, I too followed what most breeders suggest online. I am currently using bioactive 18x18x24 Exoterra's with success. However I plan to move up to a 36x18x24 exo. Bigger is always better. Their short life span maybe an affect of breeding stress, or being in a small enclosure, it's harder to control possible parasite infections. Still looking into it. I have heard of people now having them upto 5 years without breeding attempts.
If you're set on the 18x18x24, Lateralis will be fine, but you will find yourself wanting to upgrade to a larger unit.

I’m in process of setting up an enclosure that size as well looking for ideas of what to put in it. This has been helpful. I thought carpets were my only option for smaller exclosures (besides the ground runners). 😁

I started my WC in medium reptibreezes and then moved them to 24x15x36 glass vivs. I agree that the bigger you can go the better but 24x15x36 is a similar (maybe larger) square footage to cham size ration as 2x2x4 for a panther.

I agree with sonny, they are an active species and will use as much space as you give them!

Back
Top Bottom