Young panther colors - help determine locale.

Scout

Established Member
I picked up my panther chameleon from the Los Angeles reptile show about 3 months ago. He was really small when I purchased him, most likely only a month or so.

The breeder didn't know what locale he would be. I waited a few months for his colors to come in, and to me he looks like he will have a lot of blue, green, and maybe yellow, red. I'm thinking nosy be? Here are some pictures I've taken along the way as his colors have developed. He hates my camera so he looks a little scared in the pictures.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 365
The first picture posted was after at about 2 months of age.

This picture is about 2 and a half months.
( not sure how to add multiple photos sorry for the multiple posts.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 310
Same day but he flared up at the camera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 391
Now that brings us to almost current day. At about 4 months of age.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 288
Same day just a different side view.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 339
Hmmm...he could be like a maybe a yellow bodied Ambilobe. Some Nosy Be's do have some extra yellows/oranges when young and then they grow into their bright blues so it's highly possible it's a Nosy Be. Of course, he could be a cross locale in which case he can be all sorts of colors. I'm surprised that a breeder at a reptile show wouldn't have this information....and that he would sell him at 1 month old.

Thanks for the info! A cross locale would be very interesting, I can see some greens / yellows coming in. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer :)

Without knowledge of the parents and their lines, its impossible to tell with 100% accuracy by just looking at it. Anything anyone says here will be just a best guess.

With that in mind, if you plan on breeding please do not advertise as some specific locale.

Gorgeous cham regardless!

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

I was truthfully looking for everyone's best guesses.

I know it would be nearly impossible to know for sure.

But I know how knowledgeable some of the expert people are, and I thought maybe they would have a better, more educated guess then I.

Wait until he is a year old.. That'll show some better coloration and a better guess can be made.. however, they will always be just guesses.

Hope you keep posting updates! So young and full of pattern on that fired up picture, definitely want to see that later on.

Thank you again, Veiled, your kind words are always appreciated.

I will keep this thread, or make a new one, to keep track of his growth and color.

If any of the "expert breeders" have seen this sort of coloration before in their own young chams, maybe they'll have some insight on what the end result will be.

I agree that even if he looks like a certain locale, you shouldn't advertise him as anything specific.

There are a lot of crosses out there now and some look very close to pure locales.

Thanks seiryu, I have no intention on breeding my boy.

But for conversation sake, do I get to make up my own locale?

Kidding of course!

I've heard from a few people that he looks like their blue bar ambilobe.

Thanks everyone for their input, any other ideas out there?

I 'm kind of surprised nobody has guessed blue ambanja, a lot of them look like yours at that age. As they get older, some get dark blue bars with lighter blue bodies, some develop some red spots on this same color pattern, and then some even develop yellows and orange. IMO, waiting to see what colors come out is half the fun!!

I 'm kind of surprised nobody has guessed blue ambanja, a lot of them look like yours at that age. As they get older, some get dark blue bars with lighter blue bodies, some develop some red spots on this same color pattern, and then some even develop yellows and orange. IMO, waiting to see what colors come out is half the fun!!

The pictures I googled look close to what I was imagining he would look like. Thanks for specifying. I love not knowing the end result. It is very intriguing.

I also have this terrible picture of him while he is sleeping, he has some beautiful yellow PJ's on.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom