Worried about design of Exo-Terra door

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm changing the way I keep my chameleons. I'm converting everything to fully planted enclosures, even for the newly hatched babies.

I set up one Exo-Terra 24" x 24" x 18" for my new clutch of graciliors that are still hatching. I made a mistake planting this cage, planting too close to the hinges. They will crawl around the doors even if it is bare, but the plants make it that much harder to see them--right now there are 16 babies in the enclosure and I'm hoping the remaining four eggs will hatch as well. A lot of little babies to keep track of when opening and closing doors.

I drilled a drainage hole in the side and put in a 1/2" bulkhead that I bought from New England Herpetoculture. (http://www.neherpetoculture.com/). I added hydroballs, weed suppression fabric and a mix of potting soil and coco fiber. I covered the top with coco fiber to cover the perlite bits in the potting soil. I planted with a variety of ferns and added a lot of branches mostly in the middle. I hung pieces of orange all over the cage as feeding stations.

My big worry is a baby getting crushed between the glass door and the side of the enclosure, both when opening and when closing. Here's a picture of the opening, more than enough space for a baby--even a pretty large baby--to crawl through and get crushed by the door. A light screen door with have some resistance if you catch a baby in it (learned from experience) with no harm done to the baby. I don't expect the heavy glass door swinging shut on a baby, even a very big baby, will be such a non event.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify the Exo-Terra to get rid of that 5/8ths of an inch (!!!) gap between the door and the side when the door is open? I don't trust that I'll always see them every time I open the door. It is a little late to replant it--trying to find 16 tiny little babies crawling through the foliage is not easy--but could be done. That won't solve the problem but will make it easier to see them at the door, which is an improvement.

Exo-Terra door open:

20160430_071357.jpg

I have another glass enclosure that has a different hinge. It came from PetSmart and was sold under the National Geographic brand. It has a hinge such that the glass is set into a large plastic circular hinge so there is no opening at the hinge when the door is open. There is a right angle on the round part of the hinge so that when closed, it covers the small space between the glass side and the hinge. I think the photos below explains it. Forgive all the calcium dust....

Door open, National Geographic terrarium. In the second (blurry) photo you can see the small gap between the glass and the hinge that is covered up by the right angle when the door is closed. A baby could be crushed between that right angle piece and the glass side.

20160430_074149.jpg

20160430_090650.jpg

Door closed, National Geographic:
20160430_090554.jpg

Planted Exo-Terra baby enclosure:
20160430_071030.jpg

Doesn't help at all but that is some serious foliage! I dig it

Thanks. I've had babies fall on the plastic floor. This species is prone to bailing off a branch for the slightest reason, especially as babies. Jungle floors aren't hard plastic. The one thing I've noticed is they are very active in this set up, much more than any other set up I've had for them. I think they like it a LOT more than the more typical bare baby cages. I'm really enjoying watching them. I was really worried about the newly hatched babies finding food, but the oranges set up around the cage provide plenty of feeding stations for them.

46285db3-fff3-4691-986e-3bda526e7c25.png
9580c8fe-4d68-4b26-9edc-f4d7ee234405.png
4d325e6a-cf54-4d85-80b3-f555a32df4d0.png

What about a self adhesive flexible tape installed along the inside of the door jamb to cover that gap?

I'm thinking a moisture resistant exterior tape, maybe 2 inches wide, cut another stip about 1 inch wide and apply it to the center of the 2 inch strip so that it is not longer sticky. This will give you an area that can flex when the door opens/closes but won't stick to the door. When you install the tape, make sure the door is positioned so that the gap is at its widest, adhere the tape to the door and the gap to cover that gap.

Poor man's gasket.

Last edited:
I really like the way you have done it. I think bioactive or fully planted viv is the way forward. It is so much more natural and better for chams at any age. I keep mine like that too.

I cannot help about the door. I have not used exo terra. They could have done something better about their design for the price to be honest.

Good luck with the clutch.

View attachment 157188 View attachment 157190 View attachment 157191

What about a self adhesive flexible tape installed along the inside of the door jamb to cover that gap?

I'm thinking a moisture resistant exterior tape, maybe 2 inches wide, cut another stip about 1 inch wide and apply it to the center of the 2 inch strip so that it is not longer sticky. This will give you an area that can flex when the door opens/closes but won't stick to the door. When you install the tape, make sure the door is positioned so that the gap is at its widest, adhere the tape to the door and the gap to cover that gap.

Poor man's gasket.

That might work. As it is, I think it is an accident waiting to happen. Too many little monkeys crawling around everywhere.

That might work. As it is, I think it is an accident waiting to happen. Too many little monkeys crawling around everywhere.
That was my thought as well...a strip of screen, tape, or even a strip of coroplast to block that gap. You could roll a piece of mesh into a tube and tape it into place.

What about a piece of sticky backed Velcro, it will work like a hinge! Just a thought!

I've read on frog forums, that they use a bead of silicone, and then take a razor to slice it so the door can open and close. I've never tried it, so I'm not sure how well it works, or the best way to do it.
I would probably try aquarium silicone, and let it air out completely. It has a serious stench to it until it cures and the odor dissipates. Tape would worry me, with the high humidity, and the potential to entrap should it come loose.

There's silicone that's made to be able to give and stretch. While still holding it's integrity. I would go with that! It would fill the gap completely. Any hard ware store has it. Just ask for it. I'm having a blonde moment and can't remember what it's called though :cautious:

I cant see silicone filling a 5/8 wide gap, fairplay if it does but im skeptical.

The tape might work but as you are changing the direction it is bent in each time you open and close the door its probably not going to be a long term solution.

Fundamentally the problem is that the pivot point for the door is too far from the edge of the cage.

Id go for a piece of acrylic at like a 45 deg angle on the cage side of the hinge, theres a little lip that the bottom of the door pushes against, id run from the end of that lip back to the side of the cage so that you take the whole hinge area off limits. When the door is shut that corner should be sealed off and when its open it will be quite easy to see any babies making a dash for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom