With D-3 or without?

kearth

My jacksons will be spending about 3-4 hours a day outside as long as weather permits.

Along with having the UVB while inside. Will this make a difference in which suppliment I use for them?

I notice sticky toungue has suppliments that specify for indoor or outdoor so now I am officially confused.

Jacksons don't need that much supplements anyway.
Regardless, without D3 is the way to go IMHO.
Again, only small amounts as they don't need that much extra besides well gutloaded feeders.

Harry

Weirton, huh? I am in New Martinsville at the moment. I agree with Harry. I would not give any D3 if you are putting him out when the weather is appropriate around here. Lets hope this summer doesnt get too hot!

if they are getting a consistant 5 + hrs a week or more of outside time, i would drop the d3 alltogether. what do you use for a multivite and how often do you intend to use it? jmo

I was going to use the mineral -al from sticky tongues but I see it has d-3.

So moving on..

Currently I use the herpavit and rep-cal with d-3.. Those are the ones I have at my house.

I planned on using them both once monthly but now I want to get different ones due to the d-3.

I do have the vit-all from sticky tongues to gut load crickets with.. SHould that only be done monthly as well?

So i guess it boils down to what should I get and where? Why do jacksons not need as much supplimenting as other chams?

Now my crickets eat spinach, carrots, red cabbage ( sparingly) and fish food. Should I worry about what I am feeding my crickets now?

Who knew I could be so confused.

Yeah Weirton. It has it's moments. I am really hoping for a nice summer not too hot so these guys can be outside every day.

from what i understand spinach (and broccoli) should not be used as gutload because there is something in it that prevents calcium absorption in chams. i have also read that fish flakes are not very good either due to high protein content which can lead to health problems. try dandelion greens, oranges, apples, berries, yams etc

from what i understand spinach (and broccoli) should not be used as gutload because there is something in it that prevents calcium absorption in chams. i have also read that fish flakes are not very good either due to high protein content which can lead to health problems. try dandelion greens, oranges, apples, berries, yams etc

This is true about fish flakes it can cause gout... I am not sure of the broccoli, I would jsut stick with collard greens, squash, oranges, apples, carrots, etc... What I do is I will take few carrots and some collard greens and put them in a food processer and chop them up real fine and lay it in with my feeders.... they love it!

IMHO you should be dusting the insects with a phos.-free calcium at most feedings to help make up for the poor ratio of calcium to phos. found in most feeder insects. The ratio of the insects doesn't change...so why should the dusting not occur at almost every feeding??????

Gutloading is also important. Crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. can be gutloaded with a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, celery leaves, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

I dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder, but my chameleons are rarely outside since I live in Canada. If you have them outside often you shouldn't need to use D3 at all.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Beta carotene (prOformed) vitamin A will not build up in the system like prEformed sources can but there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene so some people give a little prEformed every once in a while. (I never have with dwarf Jackson's or veileds, or most other chameleons)...and they live good long lives.) Excess prEformed may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD.

actually miner-all comes in two forms, yellow cap indoor formula with d3, or redcap outdoor formula without d3. personally i feel once every 6 weeks is probably enough on the multivite, maybe even less, if the dry portion of your gutload contains vit-all (or is very complete and well balanced). unfortunately it is impractical for anyone to give you an exact supplement regimen, there are just too many variables. vit-all is much lower potency than herptivite, so it could be given more often than herptivite. the only way to know for sure is to establish a regimen, and have a blood panel done about 6 months down the line, will give you a better idea of how you are doing. as a general guideline only (meant only as a starting point, not a long term specific regimen) i would recomend red cap miner-all (or any no d3 calcium) 2x a week, (3x if gravid), add vit-all to your gutload 2x a month (probably not necessary if your gutload is very complete and well balanced, but considering the low dosages, its not likely to cause a problem either) and use herptivite every 6 weeks. montanes have a slower metabolism (than most larger lowland chams), and they are less able to process backlogs or excesses of supplementation. jmo

Back
Top Bottom