Wine cooler vs. compact fridge - worm temp regulation

LoosePin15

Good evening! First, let me start by stating that this is my first post, so I'll apologize in advance if it's too long.

Secondly, I'm a newbie. I have a 4/5-month-old veiled that I purchased from FL Chams (couldn't be happier) about a month ago and he seems extremely happy. He eats without hesitation and thanks to what I learned from people here, I am feeding him a variety of insects (crickets, roaches, worms, etc.) on a daily basis.

My question is this: I'm looking for a good way to keep hornworms longer. I have a "bug room" in my garage, but living in Memphis, it can get toasty (85-ish) in the room during the summer. Given that, and the fact that "Chip" loves hornworms as a treat, I'm looking for a way to keep the worms from growing so rapidly. Since I only feed him one a day at most, I'd like to find a way to keep them from outgrowing his size limit before I feed them off.

I understand that if you keep the worms at 55-60 degrees, they don't grow nearly as fast, so I was wondering what others do to keep their worms cool. Right now, I'm torn between buying a small wine cooler or small compact fridge, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with either to keep their worms at a constant temp to dissuade fast growth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I use a wine cooler and keep it set at 65. You can only cool them down part of the time or it will kill them. I keep mine in the cooler in the day time and take them out out night since it's cooler at night.

What's your boy's name? Any pictures?

Hey jannb, thanks for the info! I was under the impression that the worms could be kept at lower temps indefinitely to keep them from growing, so I appreciate the feedback.

My boy's name is Chip and there should be a photo included here.
loosepin15-albums-chip.html

Hey jannb, thanks for the info! I was under the impression that the worms could be kept at lower temps indefinitely to keep them from growing, so I appreciate the feedback.

My boy's name is Chip and there should be a photo included here.
loosepin15-albums-chip.html

....or not. Evidently my forum posting abilities have deteriorated since I was last on one. I'll figure out the picture thing and reply.

Chip is a little cutie! I keep veileds and they are awesome and have so much personality. Enjoy him, they grow up fast.

He's a firecracker for sure, but he's finally getting to the point where he'll readily hand feed, so he's coming around. Although he does have his days. Then again, we all do!

I'm honestly contemplating a second cham already. Figure I've got the food for two, so might as well use it!

Hornworms up to about 1-1/2 inches die off easier than above that size when in a refrigerator.

I do 2 days in the refrigerator, 1 day out, it seems to slow them without killing them. My refrigerator is at 46 degrees.

Thanks Nick! Not sure exactly the temp in my garage fridge, but I know it's cold because that's where I keep my beer.

Regardless, I'll put a thermometer in there and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom