Wild caught v captive bred

cacoonkitty

Hi, i just wonderd if anyone thinks that wild caught chams are harder to keep than captive bred? i have been offerd a male Quadricon that is wild caught that seems to be doing ok with his current owner and i also have been offerd a male quad that is captive bred from a diffrent guy, which one would be the best to go for ,i just want a cham that will be happy as they both look healthy ,and are of simaler age, do C.B chams do better in captivity ??:confused:

Hi, i just wonderd if anyone thinks that wild caught chams are harder to keep than captive bred? i have been offerd a male Quadricon that is wild caught that seems to be doing ok with his current owner and i also have been offerd a male quad that is captive bred from a diffrent guy, which one would be the best to go for ,i just want a cham that will be happy as they both look healthy ,and are of simaler age, do C.B chams do better in captivity ??:confused:

I would think either is a great choice as long as it is healthy. If the WC is well acclimated and has been treated for parasites they are pretty much both great animals and should do fine in captivity. If the WC is newly wild caught then he may have some settling in to do. I have WC Jacksons that are just as tame and well situated as my captive bread panthers.

hmmmm,yes this is true, but i doubt he has been treated for parasites and has some scarring to his fins and the owner sais he had a broken nose horn but apparently the vet sais it would be fine ???, the C.B one however seems to be flawless so i will probaby go with him to be honest but i was just wondering as i have heard that w.c can be harder to keep and get dehydrated and stressed much easier than c.b ones. he will be well cared for by me regardless anyway but was intrested to hear views

hmmmm,yes this is true, but i doubt he has been treated for parasites and has some scarring to his fins and the owner sais he had a broken nose horn but apparently the vet sais it would be fine ???, the C.B one however seems to be flawless so i will probaby go with him to be honest but i was just wondering as i have heard that w.c can be harder to keep and get dehydrated and stressed much easier than c.b ones. he will be well cared for by me regardless anyway but was intrested to hear views

Then I would definitely go with the CB. The WC before they are settled in are definitely more of a challenge than a CB.

the lady said she had had the w.c for 3 months and got him from someone else who had him but i dont know how long for and said she handles him every day (which i dont agree in doing to be honest a look but dont touch to oftern approach i think is better? ) and she said that he is fine but yes i probably will go with the c,b boy as he will more than likely be used to the u.k enviroment and the human contact and food ect ect. :p

The only appeal I see in WC, would bee if you're going to breed them and you want a fresh bloodline.

just my opinion

I agree that you can get fresh bloodlines from WC species, however sometimes that is all you can find. With Quadricornis Quadricornis it is very difficult to find CB available so you may have to get WC first. We started out with WC and were able to breed them and now have CB Quads. Our WC are healthy and our males are very friendly. Don't know the temperments on the babies yet, they are too young, but you can see how different each one is.
The only appeal I see in WC, would bee if you're going to breed them and you want a fresh bloodline.

just my opinion

a broken horn is just a blemish, nothing serious. I have here a beautiful deremensis male with one broken horn, but just this one makes him to something special

Back
Top Bottom