Why is it bad to mist at night?

BirdieF18

I saw on another thread people were saying it was bad to must the enclosure just before the lights go out at night why is this?

One reason is to let things dry out a bit. High moisture content sustained over a period of time (approximately 48 hours or longer) can result in bacteria and/or mold growth.

\

When I lived in an extremely dry climate, I would mist shortly before lights out to keep humidity acceptable through the night. Im talking about some extremely low RH levels though.

As above.

Cooler temps and moisture can lead to respiratory infections. So best to let enclosure dry out before lights go out

That said, it' s not some kind of death sentence if your mister goes off after dark.....it's just not needed (because they don't drink when they're asleep) and in an artificial environment where drainage is an issue, a break is a good thing. Having a time when you know the cage gets completely dry minimizes some potential problems (as noted).

But really, in the wild, it rains at night.

Also, if your cham is wet, that water is going to slowly evaporate all night and suck any heat from them. Water is a good insulator, it transfers heat very well. That is definitely something you want to avoid with a cold blooded animal. Even for us warm blooded types, people that have water beds HAVE to have them heated, otherwise you will absolutely freeze.

Imagine trying to sleep with bags of ice or cold water strapped to you... and it would be something similar.

I can see no reason it is wrong to mist at night, I am fairly sure it sometimes rains at night in the wild, I don't made a habit of it, but I also don't see it as a big deal.

Last edited:
I can seeno reason it is wrong to mist at night, I am fairly sure it sometimes rains at nigh in the wild, I don't made a habit of it, but I also don't see it as a bid deal.

Also I think a lot depends on where you live. If the cage stays around 70 during the night, then im sure a little bit of moisture wont hurt certain chams.

Your mixing cold/cool water with a cold blooded animal. Not a good mix. Your cham cools down after lights go out their core body temp drops. Your water even if its heated isnt going to stay warm for very long. So your gonna have cold water mixing with a cooled down animal just a recipe for Uri's.

Relative humidity is totally overblown. Esp when your talking about pardalis or veileds. If your keeping montanes thats one thing but pardalis and veileds dont require constant high rh to thrive. And if Im keeping montanes I'd invest in a room humidifier I wouldnt be misting my enclosures after lights out. Jm .02

Last edited:
Your mixing cold/cool water with a cold blooded animal. Not a good mix. Your cham cools down after lights go out their core body temp drops. Your water even if its heated isnt going to stay warm for very long. So your gonna have cold water mixing with a cooled down animal just a recipe for Uri's.

Relative humidity is totally overblown. Esp when your talking about pardalis or veileds. If your keeping montanes thats one thing but pardalis and veileds dont require constant high rh to thrive. And if Im keeping montanes I'd invest in a room humidifier I wouldnt be misting my enclosures after lights out. Jm .02

I totally agree. I don't mist after 4 pm even in the summer time. I don't even mist Padre, my parsonii after 4:00. I like for them to have a nice dry place to sleep.

Last edited:
i give my chams about 2-3 hours of no misting before bedtime..makes me feel like they are more comfortable..

and its a good point that it rains at night, and especially in madagasgar..and they survive just fine..but i feel like they thrive with more comfortable conditions..

Big difference between sitting outside in the rain and being rained on in an air conditioned home. And having wet perches and cage furniture every night isnt optimal either.

Big difference between sitting outside in the rain and being rained on in an air conditioned home. And having wet perches and cage furniture every night isnt optimal either.

i agree totally...it needs to dry out at some point..why not at night since we have to mist during the day anyway...

Back
Top Bottom