whos friendly?

shaboogie

i need 2 know whats the most friendliest chameleon out there?

some ppl say panthers but there are some mean ones out there
veilds mean

anyothers idk i need 2 kno tho\

ty verymuch

Hmmm of panthers and veileds I have a hard time answering that... I own both :p All of my chameleons started out very aggressive. I think sometimes it can be a baby thing because they are trying to defend themselves from the giants that reach in and feed/clean them. However, my adult veileds are both very docile, and don't mind sitting on my shoulder or roaming around on my desk while I am at the computer. My 4 month old panther, however, is quite the aggressive guy. Friendly chameleons are completely random. Each chameleon has their own distinct personallity, and I would say it is about a 50/50 chance of whether or not you will get a chameleon who is willing to tolerate you. Chameleons can become scared and stressed easily, so it is a very slow taming process that sometimes results in the conclusion of owning a chameleon that should not be handled. Other cases result in chameleons that do not mind being handled from time to time. All in all it is a very random, very slow-going trust process between you and the chameleon. Hope this helps! :)

I find Jacksons are pretty laid back, but they don't have the personality that the veileds or panthers do. Just my opinion and I've had all three. Still do.

I've had four chameleons. 2 female Veileds, a male Veiled and a male Jackson. All of them have been very 'people friendly'. Like others have said, it depends on the individual chameleon. My male was passed around between several owners (he had 4 previous owners before me) yet he was the sweetest calmest boy ever. Despite all the changes and people he had to adjust too in his short life (I got him when he was about 2 years old), he never hissed or tried to bite me, even though the previous owner said he had bitten him. I think if you show them love and respect then they know how you feel. My second female I got at 3 months old and she was more feisty and needed more 'work' to get her used to me.

Sadly, now I just have my young male Jackson. I have to disagree with BocaJan somwhat though with regard to personality. Monty is crammed full of personality. Just today, I came home from work and, as usual, I went straight to look in on him. I stood in front of his viv and he walked towards me. I opened the door and he walked right out onto my finger! He is such a confident little fella who doesn't seem to be wary of any humans and is happy to climb on whoever offers him a hand to walk on. I also think it depends on how young they are when you get them.

Last edited:
Good question and I think for the most part you.have some very good answers. I will add one more to the list. A melleri. If there is a such thing as a 'friendly" chameleon, it has to be a.melleri. Then jacksons, panthers, and veileds. I have literally had hundreds of chams and that has been what I have found. Carpets are right up there too lol.

ok

Well I got Henry when he was a baby from lll reptile he's CB and at first I was able to pick him up now that he's 3 or 4 months he's crazy and I wanna give him away but I'm trying to give him a chance I love him he named after my g dad god bless him so I know you can understand where I'm coming from now I see what everybody is saying now I'm saying to myself and my wife should I wait till he's big maybe he'd grow on me or juss bite the shit out of me when I try to pick him up and i don't try like that every once in a while..sometimes I wish this forum had a hot line u can call .....

Well I got Henry when he was a baby from lll reptile he's CB and at first I was able to pick him up now that he's 3 or 4 months he's crazy and I wanna give him away but I'm trying to give him a chance I love him he named after my g dad god bless him so I know you can understand where I'm coming from now I see what everybody is saying now I'm saying to myself and my wife should I wait till he's big maybe he'd grow on me or juss bite the shit out of me when I try to pick him up and i don't try like that every once in a while..sometimes I wish this forum had a hot line u can call .....

it is a hot line. its active 24/7 lol

All of my chams are friendly but I am very hands on and interact with them daily. My veileds are the sweetest of all and show the most personality. :)

Well I think mines is crazy but ima give him tim

At this age he's starting to feel his hormones kicking in. Many chams do go through a terrible "teen" age before maturity. He may also be telling you he's getting too much handling or other disturbance around his cage. Stress is cumulative and he may be more reactive because of it. He's also been in his turf for a while now and is feeling like the boss. Sometimes chams who are aggressive in their cages mellow out when they are somewhere away from their territory. Hard to say. I think I'd give him some time and work with hand feed his favorite foods.

My female veiled was very aggressive when i first got her but since i started cup feeding her and making her eat while the cup was in my hand. Then i began to hand feed her. Then i moved the cup away a little bit and put my hand out so i could hold her in my hand while she ate from the cup. Its not really holding your cham but its the most i get to hold mine hahaha and you can tell even tho she walks onto my hand shes still sketched by me she just really wants the food :D

http://vimeo.com/41941196

Never give up. Mines showing a little "nastiness", but I think it's funny. Maybe be a little less fearful.:D Mine will gape and lunge and can give quite the display. I just say his bark is worse than his bite, but I haven't been bitten yet, so I can't say for sure.:D

Back
Top Bottom