White Back Foot - Possible Burn?

Pufferpuggirl

I noticed tonight that my Veiled's back foot is white. I don't know if it's supposed to be that way, I don't remember seeing it like that before.
Thing is, my husband has procrastinated in making me a light guard and I am afraid that my guy has climbed up there and possibly put his foot on the hot light bulb and burned himself. I'm not certain, but it almost looks as if he's not grasping the vine with that foot.
I know they go white when they are shedding .... could it start on the foot? I just don't want there to be any problem. He's just starting to grow and look so pretty, I don't want anything to be wrong with him.
If it is a burn, what should I do? :confused:

Hi puffergirl..i have what you call low white piebald chams and their feet are white..put some pics up so i can take a look..How are you getting on with your newborns? did they all make it? do you go on pygmychameleon anymore you should put some pics up of your pygmy babys ;)

It is possible that it is just a shed starting. However, I think a picture would help a lot. I have never noticed any loss of functionality on a shedding foot though, so maybe it is more than a shed.

Hi Petkel,

I've got 2 babies that are doing well. One is exactly one month old today, and the other is 3 weeks old -- both are eating and growing nicely. I think I might have one male and one female. I originally had 5 eggs. One baby came out of the egg with my 1-month old, but died a few days later, and 2 babies died coming out of the egg. However, I feel I know what to do for my next batch and am better prepared. I've seen both my females laying eggs in the viv, plus I've got 2 eggs in my hatching container still.

I have not been on dwarf puffers for a while, will have to try to get on tomorrow.

Thank you Petkel and Gegeland for responding about Ziggy's foot. I went back upstairs and had another look and it sort of looks like it might be the start of shedding. I will try to get a pic tomorrow of it (lights are out for the remainder of tonight). I'm not positive he's not using the foot, so I watch him closer tomorrow and see how he climbs and moves around. ;)

If its a thick piece of skin about to shed off, it may cause the cham to walk a bit oddly until it comes off. A burn is more likely to be dark coloured, I think. Post a picture?

Hi Petkel,

Thank you Petkel and Gegeland for responding about Ziggy's foot. I went back upstairs and had another look and it sort of looks like it might be the start of shedding. I will try to get a pic tomorrow of it (lights are out for the remainder of tonight). I'm not positive he's not using the foot, so I watch him closer tomorrow and see how he climbs and moves around. ;)

Good to hear. :)

False Alarm

Hey everyone! Well I am truly sorry for raising the alarm all for nothing it seems. When I turned on Ziggy's light this morning he was climbing up a vine, and I could clearly see that all of his feet had white skin hanging off. So I think I was a bit paranoid and assumed something had happened to Ziggy, when in fact he's only starting to shed! :D

I'm so glad that nothing is wrong with him, it would break my heart if something were to happen to him. I got him when he was smaller than my pygmy chameleons and he's growing into a nice boy, 3 times the size he was. :)

I will get a guard put on that light, even if I have to do it myself, which I probably will. ;)

Back
Top Bottom