When to stop giving bugs to a bearded dragon?

our 5 year old beardie, always had bugs. I don't think he would ever have given them up, unfortunately he passed away, but he certainly loved his veggies as well!!!

squeekz: There is two sides to every story. At your dragons age it should be offered both greens and insects everyday as much as it wants to eat. Contrary to what you may read here and there they can live on a very WELL whole rounded plant diet. Not just the same greens over and over. With that said i still personally offer my adults alternated days of greens and insects. im not a huge fan of giving them fruit regularly but i do from time to time. I also do not recommend you providing a 130* basking temp.

squeekz: There is two sides to every story. At your dragons age it should be offered both greens and insects everyday as much as it wants to eat. Contrary to what you may read here and there they can live on a very WELL whole rounded plant diet. Not just the same greens over and over. With that said i still personally offer my adults alternated days of greens and insects. im not a huge fan of giving them fruit regularly but i do from time to time. I also do not recommend you providing a 130* basking temp.

Okay Thank you. She loves her crickets and Kale. She picks the kale out first and then goes for eveything else :rolleyes: I will let her keep eating crickets then :) She only gets fruit like once or twice a month :)

I won't give her that high of a temp, I think it would cook her. She seems happiest when her basking temp is between 100 and 110

our 5 year old beardie, always had bugs. I don't think he would ever have given them up, unfortunately he passed away, but he certainly loved his veggies as well!!!

I'm sorry about your beardie :( My first one (I only had him a month :() Died September 26th

Squeekez, do you get the free Reptile newsletter than LLL e-mails out once a month? Mine came in today and it has an article about brumation and bearded dragons. PM me (in case I miss this thread), and I'll e-mail you the article if you don't get it.

Squeekez, do you get the free Reptile newsletter than LLL e-mails out once a month? Mine came in today and it has an article about brumation and bearded dragons. PM me (in case I miss this thread), and I'll e-mail you the article if you don't get it.

I don't think I do actually! I will PM you!! Thanks :D

Well, I have 2 beardies over 2 years old. I feed them mostly greens, but they get insects twice a week. I DUST the greens AND the insects. Their basking high is 99 degrees. When I make it any hottter, they don't go near the warm side of the enclosure. Everyone is going to offer you different advice. I have to agree about not over feeding. Watching a beardie die from fatty liver disease is horrid. Balance is key. I don't think my beardies would EVER quit eating insects if I let them 'eat as many as they wanted'. I've heard many people say 'let them eat as many as they can in 10 minutes'. Though I've never done it that way, that might be a decent way to measure it. I give my beardies a certain number of insects twice a week, depending on the insect. I hope you can find a way that works for you. I know a lot of the herp keepers I go to for advice say to wait until they're a year old before feeding less insects, and more greens. They need lots of protein when growing up. Best wishes!
-Cyn

Well, I have 2 beardies over 2 years old. I feed them mostly greens, but they get insects twice a week. I DUST the greens AND the insects. Their basking high is 99 degrees. When I make it any hottter, they don't go near the warm side of the enclosure. Everyone is going to offer you different advice. I have to agree about not over feeding. Watching a beardie die from fatty liver disease is horrid. Balance is key. I don't think my beardies would EVER quit eating insects if I let them 'eat as many as they wanted'. I've heard many people say 'let them eat as many as they can in 10 minutes'. Though I've never done it that way, that might be a decent way to measure it. I give my beardies a certain number of insects twice a week, depending on the insect. I hope you can find a way that works for you. I know a lot of the herp keepers I go to for advice say to wait until they're a year old before feeding less insects, and more greens. They need lots of protein when growing up. Best wishes!
-Cyn

Thanks! We decided we could just do as many as she wants in 5 minutes and then greens the rest of the day:)

Some of my guys and gals are reaching 6 months of age and two are slowing down but the others aren't. So it will also depend on the animal. I still offer Dubia daily as well as mixed greens. Sometimes the two that are slowing down will eat throughout the day out of their bowl and other times neither greens or bugs are touched. It is that time of year as well. So if everything else is ok then just them slowing down eating is likely not an issue but should still be offered IMO and experience. Sub adults sometimes go into brumation this time of year and it can last anywhere from days to months.

As beardies get older their required temp in their basking spot also changes. I kept all my babies right at about 105. With some of the older ones I keep it right about 95. Remember too that during the winter the ambient house temp in most homes drop so the inside of the cage will also drop. It is important to check temps regularly. I am sure you know this but make sure the other side of the cage has a cool down for them to retreat too if needed. These animals like most are very good at regulating their body temps.

Some of my guys and gals are reaching 6 months of age and two are slowing down but the others aren't. So it will also depend on the animal. I still offer Dubia daily as well as mixed greens. Sometimes the two that are slowing down will eat throughout the day out of their bowl and other times neither greens or bugs are touched. It is that time of year as well. So if everything else is ok then just them slowing down eating is likely not an issue but should still be offered IMO and experience. Sub adults sometimes go into brumation this time of year and it can last anywhere from days to months.

As beardies get older their required temp in their basking spot also changes. I kept all my babies right at about 105. With some of the older ones I keep it right about 95. Remember too that during the winter the ambient house temp in most homes drop so the inside of the cage will also drop. It is important to check temps regularly. I am sure you know this but make sure the other side of the cage has a cool down for them to retreat too if needed. These animals like most are very good at regulating their body temps.

She eats a bunch of veggies. She picks out the ones she likes most and leaves the rest ha ha. She hasn't slowed down too much yet :) is she considered sub adult? Sorry she is a learning curve for me :eek: her temps are proper :) is it odd that she spends 90% of her day in the basking spot?

She eats a bunch of veggies. She picks out the ones she likes most and leaves the rest ha ha. She hasn't slowed down too much yet :) is she considered sub adult? Sorry she is a learning curve for me :eek: her temps are proper :) is it odd that she spends 90% of her day in the basking spot?

That's where mine spend most of their time :p

Back
Top Bottom