What's yours method of gutloading crickets?

Quantum Mark

Hello,

I was wondering how people gutloaded their crickets. Not what with, but the method to actually do it.

I've been separating crickets from the Kricket Keeper (about 15-20 at a time) into the containers that crickets ship in. Then, I've been putting thinly sliced carrots and limes in it with them and then leaving them in a dark cupboard over night before feeding.

Sometimes it looks as though they haven't touched the carrot at all. Socs is a three month Panther and so is eating small crickets. Could it be that it's harder to see where they've been eating them or is there a more effective way to encourage them to chow on the gutload?

I just throw some veggies and cricket feed into a cricket keeper and let them go to town...

Simple enough. My crickets actually eat the stuff I put in though...you can tell because its mostly turning black.

i use zoo med total bites and zoo med quencher with my crickets and never had any problems. i just use a rubbermaid container to house all my crickets with a few cardboard tubes from like papertowel rolls....i do like to leave them in the dark for alittle while before i pick them out for there last few minutes

i use zoo med total bites and zoo med quencher with my crickets and never had any problems. i just use a rubbermaid container to house all my crickets with a few cardboard tubes from like papertowel rolls....i do like to leave them in the dark for alittle while before i pick them out for there last few minutes

I also use the Total Bites. They eat it as a daily diet, you can see the green in their tummies. Also add Cricket Quencher and Orange cubes (both Flukers). They are always gutloaded. Then I don't have to separate out the feeders for the day from the rest. They really go for the Total bites....yummy

I keep crickets in a tall plastic bucket. I sprinkle the dry gutload into the bucket all over, even on top of the egg crate. I put the fruits and veg on a very shallow dish or a very shallow plastic lid off of something, and place that on the bottom of the bucket. As I only buy a few crickets at a time (less then 50), I use the crickets up quickly. the dry gutload is eaten up near instantly, if it isnt it doesnt matter as it will be dumped with the fraz. If the wet stuff isnt all eaten up in a couple days, I remove it and replace. Once all the crickets are gone, the bucket is washed and made ready for the next time.

I leave mine in the livefood tubs they come in. I just put food in with them daily and remove anything that hasn't been eaten. I also clean the tubs out frequently too or they get a bit stinky! Only thing I see them go totally mad for is bee pollen! I've actually seen them fight over it and steal it from each other's mouths, lol! Nasty little critters, I hate them!:D

I leave mine in the livefood tubs they come in. I just put food in with them daily and remove anything that hasn't been eaten. I also clean the tubs out frequently too or they get a bit stinky! Only thing I see them go totally mad for is bee pollen! I've actually seen them fight over it and steal it from each other's mouths, lol! Nasty little critters, I hate them!:D

ROFL

Me too. Since I got Socs I keep dreaming about them getting all over the house and I cant get rig of them. Like they turned my house into a giant overrun Kricket Keeper! :)

Thanks for the gutlaoadeding method tips guys. Im now trying to get some some cricket crack shipped to the UK and will just gutload straight from the Keeper instead of putting them in separate containers.

When I bought bee pollen it said it was for dusting. Gutloading seems more sensible as it doesnt really stick to them.

Cheers!

Mark

The pollen I got isn't the powder/dust that butterwors sell. It is more like little balls of pollen. Check out ebay - there's loads on there! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50G-BEE-POLLEN-herb-herbal-healing-magic_W0QQitemZ360187970915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Metaphysical_New_Age?hash=item53dce04563&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 I have had mine ages (got mine from another seller though) - I only give them a few grains at a time. Great fun watching them fight each other, lol!:D

Thanks! You just answered my next question. Was thinking about PMing you to find out if you were using the stuff from Butterworms or something else! Just placed an order :)

I've only been at it this year but my method is just to chop up whatever fruit and veg I have (usually only 2-3 items of fruit i.e 1 grape, 1 blueberrie and 1 segment of orange) and put it in with my locusts and crickets (at the moment my guy wont eat crickets). Not saying my approach is the best but I don't really see huge ways to improve it substancially after reading a fair amount on the topic. Most of my fruit will get eaten after 1 day so I add the same again each day. I might purchase some bee pollen and try to include that. I've also added oatmeal but they don't seem to eat this in a large way.

I use a large tupperware bin, and keep all my crickets in it. I have egg crates in there and each morning at 6:30am, I throw in just enough feed of carrots, oranges etc. and some dry gut load. By noon I feed them, and I know they have eaten because when I grab them juice the color of the food comes out of them. Plus the cricket food looks chewed on.

cricket crack

So ok, if you feed the crickets cricket crack, what else is recommended to feed the crickets? Is the cricket crack a totally balanced meal???

Yes it is, but from what I understand it's high in protein and shouldn't be the sole source of gut load. You need to mix it up from time to time with fresh veggies.

I was using old Cheerios as a staple feed for crix that I needed to grow out a bit. Big chams need big food. Then gut loading with mixed greens and fruits. As I just got my bug farms going (supers and crickets) I finally ordered a few pounds of the crack from Steve. The reports are too good to ignore. Crickets that used to be kept in tubs too tall for them to jump out of all of the sudden need lids after eating the crack. It's like steroids for your crickets.

hahahaha ok, so cricket crack and... what type of veggies are the best? carrots? lettuce? oranges?

cricket crack is great, but you need to feed much more then that every now and then to mix things up...

think of a cricket like a sesame bun.
you can fill it with two all beef pattys, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, oinions, all inside a sesame bun...but it's still a burger.
how would you like to eat a burger every day?
how healthy would you be?

wouldn't you like to find some fish or chicken once in a while inside that sesame bun?
that's what cricket crack is like...

it's well balanced, but should not be fed only.
mix it up bit.
Kale, dandilion, escarole, carrots, potato, orange slices, apple, strawberries, blueberries...so on.

here is a good list of what to use and what not to...
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Harry

hahaha...warpdrive at first glance i thought you said you were feeding your crickets cheese, pickles, and onions :p

i cut a small section out of a plastic cup and place the food on top of that. i also keep my crickets in those small plastic animal containers with some walnut shell substrate at the bottom and it minimizes the amount of cleaning and smell since all their waste travels down underneath the shell pieces.

Back
Top Bottom