What kind of pygmy's?

poison

Avid Member
Got in a pair of pygmy's but I'm not sure on what kind they are. Hope someone can help :)

Male
DSC00098_zps835f815e.jpg

Female
DSC00105_zps74d21063.jpg

Not entirely sure, I'd say temporalis but definently not a brev although almost see than and a brown virdis. What were they labeled as?

Can you get a look under the front legs? The arm pit will be deep in temporalis.

Carl

I don't know if it's the only one with pits but its common name is the pitted pygmy chameleon.

Carl

The male (first pic) is definitely a Rhampholeon temporalis. You can tell by the hemipenal bulge, low casque, patterns and distinctive rostral process that resembles pouty lips.

The female is a little more difficult to ID because of the shape of her nose. She does resemble a Rhampholeon marshalli in that respect but none of the other markers like dorsal crest and tail length match. She could also be a Rhampholeon nchisiensis but rostral is too big. She could also just have an injury or infection of that rostral process making it appear larger than it really it is. Could you provide some different photos of her and her head from the top and sides?

Cheers,
Trace

So you don't think the female is the same species? Bummer :/. They both have the deep pits on the front arms.

DSC00131_zps32107a19.jpg

DSC00134_zpsc5ca0536.jpg

Must have been the angle of the first pic, that is indeed a female Rhampholeon temporalis. My apologies for making you think differently, I just wanted to verify certain markers before I made the ID.

Have fun with them! The temporalis are chock full of personality.

No problem, Trace. Thank you for the help. I see how the first pic looks different. The mouth looks more round at the tip in the first one. So these are for sure temporalis?

Ok so how do I tell if the female has eggs? I put her next to a lamp and see a big black shape in her. Not sure what else to look for.

Back
Top Bottom