What Do You Guys Think

Pickles632

View media item 45627View media item 45626Hey everyone,
Still new to this website and owning a chameleon ( I know I know, before everyone freaks. Yes I've done my research and I have owned reptiles before just wanted to try Chameleon's) but the more I look into it and read everyone's advice the more I second guess myself lol. My question is this a good set up for my veiled chameleon, and Do You have any tips? Right now both lights are resting on top on the screen cage, the red basking one isn't directly on the screen to not burn the top. And I also added a potted umbrella tree in the back along with all the vines and fake leaves you see, you can also see pickles trying to act tough in the top corner lol. Again If you have advice please let me know!! I got pickles at as a baby since December so he's already train to walk on my arm and eat worms out of my hand.

There are details about your setup and care that we don't have, so we can't evaluate everything without more info. My suggestion would be to read the basic cham husbandry article located under the Resources tab above and compare what you are doing to see if anything's off. We'd need to know the temp range, specific type of lighting (get rid of the red basking bulb) including the UVB light, what the cage humidity range is, what you feed, what supplements you use and how often, and what you gutload your insects with. If you are feeding mealworms, realize they are not very nutritious feeders.

There are details about your setup and care that we don't have, so we can't evaluate everything without more info. My suggestion would be to read the basic cham husbandry article located under the Resources tab above and compare what you are doing to see if anything's off. We'd need to know the temp range, specific type of lighting (get rid of the red basking bulb) including the UVB light, what the cage humidity range is, what you feed, what supplements you use and how often, and what you gutload your insects with. If you are feeding mealworms, realize they are not very nutritious feeders.
Ok will do!
And that's interesting about the red light. When I got him it was December like I said so I was having a hard time keeping the cage warm for a baby during the winter with just the two lights. The reptile store I got him from suggest the red light and said it'll help him out a lot. Should I only us it for the winter? It's does get pretty hot under that light but with out it it's hard to even hit 75 degrees

Replace the red bulb with a white house bulb and adjust the wattage and/or distance above the cage to get the desired temperature. If you need heat at night in the winter get a separate ceramic heat emitter. They don't give off light and won't affect you cham's sleep patterns.
I like the jungle look of your cage. It offers a lot of good hiding spots.

Ok will do!
The reptile store I got him from suggest the red light and said it'll help him out a lot.
Unfortunately the vast majority of information (and husbandry products) pet shops offer are not applicable to chams. Even reptile shops are more experienced with terrestrial herps that absorb accumulated warmth from the ground or do best with belly heat. Chams are more of a combination of a bird and a reptile. They are adapted to conditions in trees or bushes that are affected a lot more by moving air. And, because chams have full color and highly specialized vision they are affected more by the visible color spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom