Well water

KyleFitzz

I live out in the woods in nj and we have well water at our house, do you guys recommend using spring water for my Jackson's chameleon or what should I do? Also with meal worms do you just put then in a cricket keeper and gutload then that way? Or how would one go about doing that.

Well water varies so much from geographic area to geographic area. I would only use either Distilled Water or RO (reverse osmosis) water. It's better for the cham and on the equipment. I have a 2 gallon undersink RO system that works well for me. Just my opinion.

If you distill water won't to eliminate all the minerals all together? And how much does an ro cost? I was thinking about buyin a pitcher that has a filter on it and use that. Good idea or what are your thoughts

If you distill water won't to eliminate all the minerals all together? And how much does an ro cost? I was thinking about buyin a pitcher that has a filter on it and use that. Good idea or what are your thoughts

I paid $160 at Lowe's. I'm sure the filter your talking about, like a Brita, would be better than nothing but not sure.

Well thanks!!! Your information is def appreciated and I still live at home but just got my job at the hospital so I'm moving out soon! Meaning mordecai will be spoiled by your idea when I get my place!!

I have horrible well water here in NY. The guy that came to install the purification system described it as one step down from concrete. Even with the system I still don't trust the water for the chams. I buy distilled at the store.

RO is a good method just do some research before you commit, as in most cases it wastes alot more water than it produces. Especially if the water coming into it is cold and the contaminates are high, as it often is with well water. Combined with the basic technology they use to produce many home units for a low cost, you can end up with considerable waste production. I have read figures from 5-65 gallons wasted per 1 gallon produced. Which may or may not be a problem depending on your well size, depth, and how fast it recharges. Also high containment levels will cause you to have to replace the osmotic membranes much more frequently.

Here is a great pdf on RO

http://www.ag.unr.edu/walker/WebPublications/FS-05-08CSREES.pdf

I have horrible well water here in NY. The guy that came to install the purification system described it as one step down from concrete. Even with the system I still don't trust the water for the chams. I buy distilled at the store.

RO is a good method just do some research before you commit, as in most cases it wastes alot more water than it produces. Especially if the water coming into it is cold and the contaminates are high, as it often is with well water. Combined with the basic technology they use to produce many home units for a low cost, you can end up with considerable waste production. I have read figures from 5-65 gallons wasted per 1 gallon produced. Which may or may not be a problem depending on your well size, depth, and how fast it recharges. Also high containment levels will cause you to have to replace the osmotic membranes much more frequently.

Here is a great pdf on RO

http://www.ag.unr.edu/walker/WebPublications/FS-05-08CSREES.pdf

VERY good point on the waste involved in RO. I didn't even think of that part of it for this thread. Good info to know. I know mine wastes 3-4 gallons for each gallon made. But I will tell you, IT TASTES GREAT! haha, I love it so I hope my Cham does too

Back
Top Bottom