weak chameleon, gravid?

mczoo

Avid Member
So I have not posted on this forum for years now but have continued to have chameleon for many years now, but I am baffled by my current Jackson female.

I noticed almost 10 days ago that her behavior was off. she seemed less active and the following day I found her on the cage bottom. Obviously not normal for a chameloen. She was living with a slightly smaller male chameleon in 2x2x3 foot screen cage with a pvc bottom, two plants, hibiscus and another safe plant the name of which escapes me. They have been without problems for almost a year now. (i know many on this forum do not suggest letting them live together, but my breeder does it all the time without issue). I have an automated sprayer for all my cages the uses r/o water and the humidity is always above 60% usually higher more like 80%, I have <6 months old reptisun 5.0 bulb above the cage and a 60 watt basking bulb that allows temperature to reach about 90 at very top of the cage and stay in low seventies on bottom. At night the temps in my basement are mid sixties. Upon noticing her symptoms I put her in her own cage identical to her current one except shorter to prevent significant falls. She was very weak so for the past week I have been hand feeding her captive bred heornworns to hydrate and provide calories. Every day I expect to find her dead each morning but although she is positioned as such on the cage bottom, she is still alive. Today I tweezer fed her well hydrated and gut loaded crickets.(she ate four 3/4" without difficulty) Although I think all this is secondary to stress since my other 2 jacksons are well. I wonder is she is gravid as well. She has the same coloring my previous jackson who gave birth had just before the event. I am content with feeding her by hand until she improves but I wonder if I should put some sort of substrate on the bottom of her cage. Remeber Jacksons are live bearers so this is not an egg laying issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Sean

picture,

Here is a picture from today.

I will try to figure out how to post my video with her eating

Attachments

• jackson ill.jpg
    jackson ill.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 142
Please fill in the questions in the "how to ask for help" thread in the Health forum.
Stress can be "silent" and if she is stressed by the male, you are likely compromising her health.

Please fill this out in detail. It will help everyone know what the situation is.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Just because your breeder does it, and you know it's not recommended BECAUSE of the health issue, doesn't mean you'll do it just fine. Stress can be silent. If there's an issue right now, that means that it's not working. I suggest from now on keeping them in a completely different cage from eachother. Please fill out the health form.

I'm thinking that basking spot is a bit hot for a Jacksons. I agree with the suggestion to keep them in separate cages. It's just the safest thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom