water filtering

cantgetagoodsn

Avid Member
What do you guy's use for a filtering system? I'm looking for cheapest options. college student on a budget and cant afford RO water. I can go to my aunt's house and get some from her, but it isn't exactly convenient.

You can always use active carbon. They are like $2 for a bag that treats up to 20 gallons at the pet store. However, a nice 6 stage RO/DI is only about $150.

You can always use active carbon. They are like $2 for a bag that treats up to 20 gallons at the pet store. However, a nice 6 stage RO/DI is only about $150.

And, a small RO system can move wherever you do!

What are you trying to filter for? I'd suggest testing your tap water first to see what if anything you want to modify. There may not be much if you are on decent municipal water that is safe for human consumption. If the water's too hard (leaves mineral deposits on leaves etc) that would take a different sort of filtration than removing sulphur, fluoride, chloramines etc. If its just chlorine you want to remove you can do that by leaving the water in an open bucket overnight.

You can ask your water utility whether they fluoridate the water, and whether they use chlorine or chloramine to treat it. Aquarium supplies have water test kits that measure hardness, ammonia etc.

Back
Top Bottom