Waited Too Long to Handle?

AZJ0SH

I have had my chameleon Ziggy since May, and he was about 2 months old when I got him. I did not try and handle him until last month, I posted on here asking for advice, and got some really good responses and I have tried everything but I am thinking I might have waited too long to attempt handling?

I have been very patient, tried multiple methods such as using a branch or trying to tap his tail from behind to coax him forward. I don't need to handle him often, but it would be nice to be able to take him outside with ease, rather than fighting with him. lol

Everytime he sees my hands come in the cage, even if move very slowly, he runs to the back and hides, or hisses at me, and then gets really dark and pissed off.

Should I give up on handling, or keep at it? How many weeks does it normally take for a chameleon to get used to being handled?

I got Claude in April and I waited a good month to try handling him (at least). I tried the stick thing first and it was in short a disaster! He got so scared he puffed up and leapt off his perch, bounced off the side of his cage and plopped on the bottom! I was traumatized...he was fine.
The thing that worked best for me was hand feeding. He got used to the idea that I was his meal ticket! He still runs everytime I go to take him out, and if I have to "chase" him around too much he gets REALLY pissy so I have to bail. That is KEY! I got over excited with my branches in the upper part of his house, so if he is up there it is almost impossible to get him out. I have much better luck first thing in the morning (he sleeps on the lowest vine in the viv where there is nothing in the way) or I have to wait until he travels lower on his own then get him. It truly is all about the cham and thier personality. I only get Claude out on the weekends for sunning or cage cleaning, occasionally to show him off and we are both pretty happy :)

I would never give up. My daughter use to buy wild caught adult chameleons and some were so mean but with time and plenty of love and care they all came around and one Vega became one of her sweetest and most loved chameleons and lived to be over 6 maybe even 7 years old.

Tried the hand feeding today, he put his front legs on my hand and at the cricket out of my palm, but then quickly ran away haha.

I am going to take it day by day and just be paitent. Thanks guys.

Hey, if it never happens, it's not a problem. You don't buy a chameleon to be your friend. That's why you buy a dog. You buy a chameleon to be a lovely animal that you get to observe...

Tried the hand feeding today, he put his front legs on my hand and at the cricket out of my palm, but then quickly ran away haha.

I am going to take it day by day and just be paitent. Thanks guys.

See! lol He doesn't totally HATE you...you just have to do something for him in order for him to grace you with his attention! lol I have this feeling that I am more Claude's servent than anything lol it is one of the things that makes these guys so interesting! Keep trying is all that you can do! :)

try using gloves if he bites my other chams come out easy with no prob my male veiled el grumpo i take out weather he likes it or not but i gotta use gloves with him though. i do the one hand in the back and slide my other underneath his chin. try this a couple of time rubbing him under his chin and on his side if he is like my guy grumpo leans into it when im rubbing his side and enjoys it. he will be butt hurt for a few days but they get over it. the only time i don't force him out of the cage is if he does back into a corner.

Have the veiled chams got many colours? after lots of caring and handling do they bring out new colours?

Hey, if it never happens, it's not a problem. You don't buy a chameleon to be your friend. That's why you buy a dog. You buy a chameleon to be a lovely animal that you get to observe...

I am not trying to handle him for pleasure, it's for cleaning and for when I need to change items in the enclosure.

I just get in the cage and the chameleon moves away....I've never removed a chameleon for cleaning or redecorating purposes.

Mine usually does too, but I would like to eventually be able to take him outside so he can bask in the sun. I also need to move some of the plants around since one died.

It is never to late!!!!! My male blue bar hated me w a passion from 3 months until recently and he's 7 months and I find almost all babys are really scared and cautious because that's instinct but what works great is hand feeding every cricket to him everyday over and over eventually he will associate your hand with food so u reaching won't pose s threT or danger to him in fact he will probly get excited at least that's what works w my chams I hand feed every Cham I have everyday and they actually seem to enjoy human interaction

Back
Top Bottom