Video of ANGRY veiled

jadeladine

This thread is a follow up of this one:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/aggressive-male-yemen-45107/index3.html

I just want to say, before you watch the video, that this video was only shot for MAX 45 seconds, and i caught 35 of them on film. I did not wind Oz up at all, i didnt hurt him, and after i took the branch away, i left him to it. This is not a regular thing, i only took the video to show how aggressive he is and to get advice. I love him very much (even though its quite obvious he dont love me lol) and ide never stress him out. I know how bad stress is for chams.

Like i said, this is only so i can show people just how bad he is. I put a branch next to him to see if he would climb on it. I didnt hurt him, and it was only for a few short seconds. This is nothing dramatic either, he's like this all the time! He regulary goes for me when i feed or spray him. Maybe now you will see why i dont use my hands!

Im at a loss, im thinking im going to have to sell him, which makes me very sad :(

Please read other thread and tell me what you think??

Jade

This video's gonna give me nightmares.

He certainly loves his territory and will fight till the end to defend it. Very strong guy!

JANNB is right!

You really should listen to JannB...I have a nasty little Veiled Cham as well. I have been following her advice for about a month now and my Cham is slowly becoming more friendly. I started off like she said, by putting a plant outside his cage and left his cage door open. He would spend hours on his new tree and once he got cold or hungry he went back into his cage. If I had to leave and he was out on his tree I found he was half as aggressive on his outside tree then he was inside his cage. It was not easy but I could put him back if I needed.

After several weeks of the open door outside tree...I got rid of his cage and built a free range. (Look at my photo album of you are interested.) After moving into his free range he has improved greatly. I am only 1 month into this taming process and I still have a long way to go with my Cham...but I believe JannB's method is working. Why not try it? What do you have to lose? Sounds like you have tried everything else!!!

Im still shaking from taking it! My main concerns are that he's only 7 months old and im thinking its gonna get worse as he gets bigger.

If i ever have to take him out, theres serious concerns that im gonna get hurt. If he's ill, im never gonna be able to take him to a vets.

I dont know what to do :(

I cant build a free range, i live in the UK and havn't got the money/space to heat a free range enclosure.

Ill try the plant thing, but very scared that he'll just bolt and i wont be able to get him back in. But ill try...

Yes gardening gloves lol. He is very fast and i nearly lost him under the bed. As you can see, the moment you go near him, he FREAKS!

dude, i must be different from other folks, and despite what you wrote at the beginning of this post, is kinda contray to what is being shown. veileds can be highly aggressive, but it seems like you're provoking it like mad just to make a point for yourself.

dude, i must be different from other folks, and despite what you wrote at the beginning of this post, is kinda contray to what is being shown. veileds can be highly aggressive, but it seems like you're provoking it like mad just to make a point for yourself.

Looks to me as if maybe he was trying to get him out of the cage for some reason. Hence the stick?

I think its awesome:D I love aggressive chameleons!!! Yeah, its a pain in the butt when it comes time to do anything in their cage but it shows the true nature of the beast!! I really dont know why most people are so set on having a chameleon they can love and pet like a little dog:confused:

Looks to me as if maybe he was trying to get him out of the cage for some reason. Hence the stick?

I think its awesome:D I love aggressive chameleons!!! Yeah, its a pain in the butt when it comes time to do anything in their cage but it shows the true nature of the beast!! I really dont know why most people are so set on having a chameleon they can love and pet like a little dog:confused:

i think agressive chams are awsome too, i just dont condone provoaking. but hey. what can ya do. lol i agree with you on this.

hey cainscham, didnt you have a pic of a cat with an army hat on as your avatar? lol whered it goo?

Yes gardening gloves lol. He is very fast and i nearly lost him under the bed. As you can see, the moment you go near him, he FREAKS!

Yeah... he's a little cuddle bunny if I've ever seen one! Have you tried hand feeding him at all? With his attitude it looks as though he wouldn't be interested in food at all if your near... maybe start off by find something really tasty to offer him, like a worm, when he hasn't eaten for a bit & should be hungry. Move super slow & stay below his elevation...

My little panther's pretty aggressive at 4 months, I'm hoping he'll calm down as he gets older. At the moment the only time I've been handling him when I absolutely have to. Occasionally I'll put a superworm on my hand, slowly put it near him & he'll usually pick them off. I've been doing this every couple of days hoping that he'll start associating me with food/good stuff.

I know they're not the brightest animals in the world, but seems like sooner or later he would figure out that I'm not trying to hurt him, especially if I associates me with superworms. :)

Good luck, he's a firecracker!

oh my gosh!D:
scary!
My male is like a mini version of yours D:
he never stops but he has never bitten me yet :eek:
and hes like 5 inches h/t
so yeah.. still freaks me out D:

:eek: He means business doesn't he?! I wouldn't fancy putting my hand in there either! I love my chams so much and I can only imagine how upset and stressful it is for you not to be able to do just the day to day stuff without him being mean. I will forward the video to my friend at the shop and see if she can offer any advice. She has turned around several 'mean' and 'unhandleable' chameleons and been able to rehome them. She's got to be worth a try!

It still makes me wonder wheter it's a visibilty thing for him, which makes anything coming into his flex even more stressful as he can't see it coming.

i think agressive chams are awsome too, i just dont condone provoaking. but hey. what can ya do. lol i agree with you on this.

hey cainscham, didnt you have a pic of a cat with an army hat on as your avatar? lol whered it goo?

Definitely do not provoke it if that is the case!!!! LOL!!! No that was not me but it sounds like a funny avatar. I think I have had the same one for a year and a half:)

tips from my experience with a moody chameleon

Our panther cham hates sticks as well and will not in any circumstance climb onto our hands unless he is already out of his cage and his favourite fake vine is used. At first Zephyr was scared to even have his door open, and we have had him since he was a wee baby! After a few months of keeping his door open with a ficus tree outside of it, he started venturing out on his own to the cage door. We use a hanging vine that looks like a pothos and dangle it infront of his face. He knows that he cannot escape anywhere if he is on his cage door/plant so he wants to go higher and climbs up the vine. Luckily, Zephyr knows not to bite the hand that is holding the vine, but we started off wearing gardening gloves, just to be careful. We do not have the space for a free range but we use a hanging pothos plant and a clothes rack to take him outside on sunny days. We also use an umbrella plant on the kitchen table and let him watch us do the dishes. It has honestly gotten him very friendly with us (even though he has been on medication and has be provoked to receive oral injections). He has gotten so curious about the outdoors this summer that he always looks out the window and now starts to come to where he can climb onto his cage door when we enter the room. Our chameleon has come a long way and i hope that these tips will help you with taming your wild guy, he sure is beautiful though!!

Back
Top Bottom