very sad experience today

tatz4ever

I went to a wholesaler in NJ today. I go in this place every few weeks and pick up a variety of feeders. Today I picked up hornworms, waxworms, butterworms, and 500 crickets.
In addition to feeders (of all kinds) they sell tropical fish, marine fish, goldfish and pond fish, and reptiles. I hate going into the reptile room because it is never taken care of, I see a lot of dead animals, and the poorest example of husbandry imaginable.
I noticed on the price list, they had a pair of Jacksons Chams for 149.00. What I saw broke my heart and angered me out of my mind. In a 16 X 12 X 16 screen cage were the saddest chameleons I have EVER seen. They both looked as if they were waiting for the grim reaper to come and end their misery. I am sure they are welcoming it! :(
The male was about 3 inches snout to vent. His eyes were completely sunken in and closed.Through his darkened skin you could count every bone, and a very sunken in stomach area. His back right foot has some sort of infection with blood on the skin. The female ( about 5 inches STV)had this odd growth on the top of her nose ( between the nostrils and eyes, that made her look deformed. There was no sign that they have ever been misted, no dripper, NO lights on the enclosure. I feel that they are very close to death, and probably can not be saved, but I had to try.
I asked the employee if they would consider adopting them out to try to be saved. They told me I needed to ask the owner, but I knew he was not there at the time. I paid for my feeders and told an office worker what was going on in the reptile room.
Just as I was about to leave the owner walked in. I told him how badly I wanted to help these animals, that I would bring them to my vet, and get them whatever care I could. I told him they are about to die soon, and I don't think I can save them, but willing to try.
He called his reptile guy, who told him that he was taking care of them. I said absolutely not. They are dehydrated, emaciated, infected, no water, no lights. He said "We got it! We'll take care of them". I said "Well you no longer GOT my patronage" and told him to "clean up that room really good, because you never know if a news crew might be showing up"! I asked for a refund and he told me all sales are final! :eek:
I am furious :mad: and they certainly lost a pretty good customer in me.
I just had to vent! Sorry so long.

These stories are always tough to hear and breaks my heart! I hope the owner gets what's coming to him! Karma is a beyotch!!

These stories are always tough to hear and breaks my heart! I hope the owner gets what's coming to him! Karma is a beyotch!!

Hell ya he is. I got Karma from a petstore who didn't have UVB's. I went back months later and saw their chams DYING, horribly, I snuck out my camera (which was so hard, they always watch me like a hawk in that store) and took some vids which I posted to youtube, the owner told me they were "brown on the floor because they're matching the dirt". Made me so mad, I told them everything on how to take care of chams and threatened to report them if they didn't change, they stopped carrying reptiles completely besides snakes which they know how to care for very well.

I couldn't sleep that well last night. I kept thinking about those chameleons and all the other animals in dire need. I contacted 2 TV stations (think "Shame on You" segments) and an animal rescue and welfare group in the area. I guess I will wait to see what happens.
I know it is a business for them, but they have been around for years and years, and NEED to treat these animals better. Other wholesales that I visit, have the husbandry part down pretty good.

I couldn't sleep that well last night. I kept thinking about those chameleons and all the other animals in dire need. I contacted 2 TV stations (think "Shame on You" segments) and an animal rescue and welfare group in the area. I guess I will wait to see what happens.
I know it is a business for them, but they have been around for years and years, and NEED to treat these animals better. Other wholesales that I visit, have the husbandry part down pretty good.

You did the right thing. Being in business for years lays the blame even deeper. Neglecting a cham out of plain old ignorance is one thing, but willingly abusing them is another. I think I would follow up with a letter to the company with a few "reality checks". Remind them that they lost you as a customer but that you will feel no pain in telling all your fellow hobbyists to boycott them as well. Or, how about this one? Tell them their practices give even more power to animal rights groups trying to end the exotics hobby... so they'd better say goodbye to all their customer base!

You did the right thing. Being in business for years lays the blame even deeper. Neglecting a cham out of plain old ignorance is one thing, but willingly abusing them is another. I think I would follow up with a letter to the company with a few "reality checks". Remind them that they lost you as a customer but that you will feel no pain in telling all your fellow hobbyists to boycott them as well. Or, how about this one? Tell them their practices give even more power to animal rights groups trying to end the exotics hobby... so they'd better say goodbye to all their customer base!

I am going to do more. Something!!! I have to. I know a bunch of the managers at shops that he sells to. I made a few calls today. 2 of them are going elsewhere (I recommended a few different places that are cheaper) and a few more are going to speak to the owners of their shops. They are all outraged, as the wholesaler always delivered their order, and they have never seen the facilities themselves.
I am actively hurting the wholesaler in the pocket, and that is one of the worst pains there is, especially in this tough economy.

I am going to do more. Something!!! I have to. I know a bunch of the managers at shops that he sells to. I made a few calls today. 2 of them are going elsewhere (I recommended a few different places that are cheaper) and a few more are going to speak to the owners of their shops. They are all outraged, as the wholesaler always delivered their order, and they have never seen the facilities themselves.
I am actively hurting the wholesaler in the pocket, and that is one of the worst pains there is, especially in this tough economy.

Attaboy!! Hurt em good!!

Stuff like this is horrible, when i lived in denmark, i saw a situation just like this, and i reported it. The Pet store lost their liscence for reptiles. Denmark is very strict for liscensing and animal care, i wish it was the same here. That is animal cruelty

HELL YEAH! It is rare to see someone actually do something! You show em'!

I would have let all the feeders purchased loose in the store on the spot.

LOL! Made me laugh out loud. :D

Imagine that! "Oops! Sorry, sir. I seemed to have accidently let all these feeders go! If that chameleon is so healthy, it should be no problem to let him try to eat all of these, right? Im sure he has no deficiencies that would not allow him to mis aim!"

I had a similar situation happen with me at a local saltwater fish store where I used to pick up corals, and fish.

When I first started shopping there I was very new to reefing, and didn't know any better until I joined a local reefing community that helped me learn better.

They were way over charging for all there livestock compared to the average. I kept having trouble with my fish dying and I thought it was just me not knowing what I was doing. Then I went in the store and just browsed around after learning a great deal about fish disease, what signs to look for that a fish was stressed and in "bad" conditions. I couldn't believe what I saw once I knew what to look for.

I also purchased a clown to try to save it (had Ich). I tested ph, salinity of the water and the ph was borderline acidic, salinity was around 1.032 and then I decided to do a ammonia check and I was shocked at how much was actually present I have never seen my tester turn the water that color. Might as well just whizzed in the tank.

I told them what I had discovered and they assured me that because I had been doing reefing for lest time that it was obvious I didn't know how to use my test equipment. Said or your test kits are probably no good. I was like so that means you giving me a free test kit cause I got it from you.

Its funny yet sad that when situations like this arise no one can ever just man up and go maybe your right. Its like they just don't care I know its about making money and its a buisness but I feel that if they are not passionate about taking the proper steps to care for the animals why even do it for a living

Back
Top Bottom