Veileds and Water

smwboxer

My adult male veiled really seems to hate water. He's free range on my orchid stand, eats like a pig, but I've never actually seen him drink. Actually when I spray he runs away. I never spray him directly but have never actually seen him drink off the plants either. Anybody else have this issue?

hi

Mine does the same thing. he eats like its the end of the world but hates water. i would like to find out why they do this

My adult male veiled really seems to hate water. He's free range on my orchid stand, eats like a pig, but I've never actually seen him drink. Actually when I spray he runs away. I never spray him directly but have never actually seen him drink off the plants either. Anybody else have this issue?

Off topic, but I'd love to see your orchid stand!!! :)

Sorry, I'm all on topic until someone says the 'O' word!

Off topic, but I'd love to see your orchid stand!!! :)

Sorry, I'm all on topic until someone says the 'O' word!

Yes, orchids are an addiction. I'm actually in the middle of breaking my stand down. Moving to Ft. Lauderdale next week so they are all being shipped down there to be grown outside.

Attachments

• DSCN3629.jpg
    DSCN3629.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCN3589.JPG
    DSCN3589.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 191
Yes, orchids are an addiction. I'm actually in the middle of breaking my stand down. Moving to Ft. Lauderdale next week so they are all being shipped down there to be grown outside.

Very nice selection of catts! I'm not that great with those, I have 3 and they seem to tolerate me. My brassa is a thriving queen! Love their jasmine like smell at night with the flowers!! I've got about 40 total...and going to the greenhouse tomorrow to do some 'shopping' for baskets and repotting stuff... Never fails that I'll come home with a new orchid... Or two ;)

Veiled's are adapted to going quite some time without drinking actual water.

I had a Veiled previously and can count on one hand the amount of times i saw him actually drink actual water. He seemed to prefer meeting his water needs via eating fruits/veggies/plants as they do in the wild when water is scarce.

Yuki hates water. I have only ever once saw her acutally drink without me getting water on her, and that was when she was completely dehydrated when I first got her. Drank right out of my hand. But since then, she will only drink occasionally.

Ryuu on the other hand I caught drinking from some leaves earlier today. Maybe they only drink when they are younger and stop once older? I have no idea, I will have to see if Ryuu drinks water when he's older :rolleyes:

But to answer the question, no you aren't the only one with this "problem"! Just be sure to provide some fruits and veggies during the week and you're good to go! My Uromastyx only live off of the water in their greens, so I'm sure chams can easily get a lot of the water they need from fruits and veggies, if the eat them of course!

Back
Top Bottom