MINTE1

I have a veiled with growths that have emerged between its eyes
and in the socket of its left eye.In the last week his eye has been completely
closed and he will not open it. Today he became very weak and is hardly
moving almost unresponsive. It has not been eating within the last two
weeks and I force fed him with some mealworms. I have done all that I can
for him and so I know that I will loose him. My question is that has anyone
ever seen this in a chameleon. At first I thought it was a tumor or growth
in it's head but I have no idea what may have happened to him.

I have a veiled with growths that have emerged between its eyes
and in the socket of its left eye.In the last week his eye has been completely
closed and he will not open it. Today he became very weak and is hardly
moving almost unresponsive. It has not been eating within the last two
weeks and I force fed him with some mealworms. I have done all that I can
for him and so I know that I will loose him. My question is that has anyone
ever seen this in a chameleon. At first I thought it was a tumor or growth
in it's head but I have no idea what may have happened to him.

Chams can get infections that spread into their nasal passages and form abscesses. It could have started from a mouth or lip injury but that's hard to say. Herp abscesses don't contain liquid as they do in mammals so they don't drain as easily. The material is firmer, like cheese. Herp infections show up slowly too. An untreated abscess can eventually spread behind the eye socket. Without more specific information or pics we can only guess. Sounds like you need a vet ASAP.

I am really glad you were able to give some insight into this.
it just looked like it may have had some sort of growth like a tumor
or pimple and I did not pay much attention to it but it started to swell around
the eye socket where he was keeping his eye closed.So I gave it eye
drops in the eye which helped for a short time you know where he could
open it. Well, he suddenly became weak after writing this post and passed away!:confused:

I did not know what this was, I thought it was cancer!

Since he is already showing signs of decline, it is important that you get him to a vet with reptile experience right away! See if you can find any that have chameleon experience, but if you cannot, any reptile vet will have to do.

In the mean time, fill out that form posted above, and post some pictures so that members and the vets on the forum can help give you insight as to what could be wrong.

I am really glad you were able to give some insight into this.
it just looked like it may have had some sort of growth like a tumor
or pimple and I did not pay much attention to it but it started to swell around
the eye socket where he was keeping his eye closed.So I gave it eye
drops in the eye which helped for a short time you know where he could
open it. Well, he suddenly became weak after writing this post and passed away!:confused:

I did not know what this was, I thought it was cancer!

Ironically, the "pimple" comment was very close to the mark. I'm sorry you lost him.

These abscesses can form slowly and not show much outward sign until they are pretty bad. Chams are so good at hiding their problems until they are simply overwhelmed by them. I had a verrucosus who started showing an odd lump near his nares. Luckily he was not acting off, was active and healthy. Once I saw it was something new for him I took him to a vet. While the vet was probing the lump we realized it was some sort of abscess covered with a waxy cap that looked like skin. The more he probed the more we found. There was actually a sort of tunnel full of dead tissue running from the surface of his nose all the way through to the roof of his mouth. The vet could push a swab completely through. After cleaning the dead material out and seeing no more active infection around it (really really lucky that the body had managed to encapsulate it) the vet packed the hole with an antibiotic ointment. Eventually the entire thing closed in and didn't bother the cham again. I'm sure there are many different bacteria that start these things...some of which are sensitive to the right drugs and some that aren't. this abscess could have been there for a long time and simply ran it's course.

Back
Top Bottom