Veiled pair breeding. :)

bigred

OK I'm still new and didn't think it would be this soon but my female is glowing colors and my male is all bowed up and flaring his colors. I have seen him crawl off of her but haven't seen them doing the deed.

So for a egg laying container is there and recommendations? I was told to use vermiculite as a substrate. She said it was very light and hold moisture very well.

For incubation can I use a normal heat lamp or does it need to be something different?

Thanks in advance for the help. Can't wait to see the babies. :)

Here's a pic of me female.

Attachments

• photo(15).jpg
    photo(15).jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 86
i dunno bout incubating, but for the laying bin, use washed play sand, as deep as possible.

Looks gravid to me. Do you house them separately?

For a laying bin...you can put an opaque container of about 12" deep x 12" x 8" full of moistened washed playsand. I use the kind produced by Kings that comes in a white bag with red, blue and yellow sand toys on the front of it.
I keep this bin in the female's cage all the time so that the sometimes subtle indications that she needs to lay eggs are not missed.

For incubation, you need to incubate them in the dark. You can buy an incubator or you can find a place in your house that stays at the right temperature (about 74F) all the time and incubate them in the dark there. You can also make an incubator if you don't have a suitable place to incubate them in your house already. I use a people's heating pad that has three heat settings on it. I lay it on a surface and add a wooden and screen form over it and set the containers on top of the screen. The wooden frame is a rectangle of 2" x 2" 's with screen attached over it. Again...this is placed somewhere in the dark.

Once the female is digging, do not let her see you watching her or she will likely abandon the hole and if it happens often enough, it will lead to eggbinding and death.

The female may dig several test holes and then should select one. She should dig that one until she is happy with it, turn around butt down (usually in the evening) and lay the eggs. She should then fill the hole in, tamp it down and return to the branches. At this time you can dig up the eggs to and put them in the containers you will use to incubate them in.

The female should be hungry and thirsty when she is done.

The incubation containers I use are about the size of a shoebox. I punch two tiny holes in the lid and fill the container about half full of slightly moist vermiculite. To check the moisture of the vermiculite, take a fist full of it and if you can't squeeze more than a drop of water out of it, it should be right. I leave space in the containers for the hatchlings to be able to move when then are hatching. Lay the eggs in dents made with your thumb about 1" apart in all directions on the vermiculite and then put the lid on. Try not to turn the eggs when you move them from where she laid them to the container. Put the lids on the containers of eggs and place them where you are going to incubate them. Beads of moisture will form on the inside of the lid and on the inside of the walls of the containers.

Good luck!

Dampen the sand until you can squeeze it and it will hold its shape. I use a rubber bathroom trash can that stands about 12" tall. She will dig down to the bottom even if it is 18" tall! LOL. 12" is plenty. When she is done she will cover them up and make the top of the sand smooth then go back up to the branches. You can then take the trash can out.

For the incubation container, I use a plastic shoe box with 2 inches of damp vermiculite. (It is nice to have a clear container so you don't have to take the top off to check your eggs.) Take a thumb take and punch 2 holes in the top of the lid, one on each end, and lay the eggs in the vermiculite. I like to make little indentations in the vermiculite so they are about 1/2 buried. I also use a clean plastic spoon as I prefer not to touch them with my hands. Put the top on and put them in some closet where the temperature remains fairly constant at 72-75 degrees all year. I have a closet in the middle of my house that is unaffected by the outside walls which works fine. No heat bulbs please!!!!! In the wild the eggs deal with nature where there are no heat bulbs. Then all you do is wait.

Back
Top Bottom