veiled normal behaviour??

RealIzeRecognIze

Can some explain to me the behaviour of a female veiled developing eggs and how long they take to develop with low basking temps and minimal feeding?
Camille is starting to show her blues and golds but hasn't shed in awhile and is pacing te top of the cage.

Can some explain to me the behaviour of a female veiled developing eggs and how long they take to develop with low basking temps and minimal feeding?
Camille is starting to show her blues and golds but hasn't shed in awhile and is pacing te top of the cage.

I have the same fear by my girl is only 5 months or so. She has gotten a little more plumb in the past week or so and it makes me nervous although she isn't showing any more colors than usual. No gravid colors. I always get panicky and worried whenever I think she is going to lay eggs because I have yet to experience it. Worries me knowing that I have no experience yet with her egg laying. But If she is hanging around the bottom more I would put in a laying bin asap, and even right now if she isnt, that way it is in her enclosure and she will develop the sense of what to do. I am putting my laying bin in right now, or the next hour or so to be safe. Do not want to risk anything.

Oh yea I've got her bin in there an ready and I can always feel and see her peeking at me when I'm checking it out and making sure the sand is damp like she knows that where she's going to plant them lol.
But yes I'm a lil worried about when its goin to happen haven't experienced it yet and I was just wondering what typical behaviour is for them because she's not looking very plump, just puffing up a lot more and showing nice colors along with only eat very minimal feeders.

ok. so heres my girls story.

she accidently bred one day, a week later she showed gravid colros, and kept those colors until two weeks after she laid.

from the day of the breeding, to the day she laid was about 4-5 weeks.

i knew she was going to lay soon, because she paced constantly, got very pissy, wouldnt eat much.. and was exploring her lay bin.

once i found her digging, it took her almost 3 full days to lay.

that was in april. she just laid a retained clutch last week. she laid in less than 48 hours.

What are gravid colors? Female with fertile clutch?
okay pacing top, low food intake, extra pissy, Camille is developing eggs I'm assuming because she is doing all of this, besides pacing the bottom and checking out her bin, just pacing the top making the same laps and like peeing on her branches??
3 days sounds nerve racking lol, I always peek in to make sure she's not in the bin since she started all this.

yea they pace. constantly.

gravid coloring- black background with bright blue and yellow/orange spots.

What about the urates on the branches? Attracting male??
What does gravid mean though?
And I thought they pace at the bottom, or is that only when ready to dig?

they poop whereever they want.
gravid=- preggo

they may start pacing the bottom when they need to lay soon may not.

some females have weird lay habits, there is no set thing besides coloring (and even that may not always tell) for when they have to lay.

Well she's has a set place to poop but since she hasn't eaten much she just pees wherever.
so receptive and gravid are the same? I have not mated her.. just throwing that out there.

receptive means she can breed and not want to kill him.

gravid means shes got eggs and will eat his face if he touches her.

(ya know a typical girl)

and they dont have to be mated to lay eggs.

Okay well say she is gravid ATM then right? Because she does try to eat me when I invade her cage lol. She's not.plump though, I keep her temps in the low 80s and hasn't eaten much goin on a week I wanna say. She is a little runt tho idk why but I guess that explains her attitude:)

Alright please let me get this correctly. THey will show gravid colors even if they have an infertile clutch? I just put Isabella's laying bin in her enclosure, set her in there and she walked around a little and climbed out. So she knows it is there. I did the laying bin correctly so that she can tunnel. The reason why I am concerned this time is she has gotten a little plump towards her back end...and she has been spending a little more time than usual towards the bottom of her ficus tree and stuff. I handled her today to see if I could feel her tummy to see if she has eggs and I really dont know how to do it lol just did it to the best of my knowledge. But anyway she is just basking away right now, I go to work in a couple of hours so she will have the alone time she needs. Just worries me seeing her stomach a little more plump than usual and it started earlier this week.

Alright please let me get this correctly. THey will show gravid colors even if they have an infertile clutch? I just put Isabella's laying bin in her enclosure, set her in there and she walked around a little and climbed out. So she knows it is there. I did the laying bin correctly so that she can tunnel. The reason why I am concerned this time is she has gotten a little plump towards her back end...and she has been spending a little more time than usual towards the bottom of her ficus tree and stuff. I handled her today to see if I could feel her tummy to see if she has eggs and I really dont know how to do it lol just did it to the best of my knowledge. But anyway she is just basking away right now, I go to work in a couple of hours so she will have the alone time she needs. Just worries me seeing her stomach a little more plump than usual and it started earlier this week.

let her be.
if she has the lay bin, she will lay when she is ready.

just because they start to hang towards the bottom and get chunky, doesnt mean they need to lay in the the next 24 hours.

she is probably getting ready, but it could take another week or so for her to actually lay.

let her be.
if she has the lay bin, she will lay when she is ready.

just because they start to hang towards the bottom and get chunky, doesnt mean they need to lay in the the next 24 hours.

she is probably getting ready, but it could take another week or so for her to actually lay.

Perfect thank you for the response, should I just leave the towel on the cage still? I do not have a misting system and I have to actually spray her enclosure several times daily until I get one. So I should be expecting something by next week this time hopefully for her to lay? THank ou so much for your help I appreciate it. This is just one thing I am knowledgable on but I dont have the personal experience yet.

Perfect thank you for the response, should I just leave the towel on the cage still? I do not have a misting system and I have to actually spray her enclosure several times daily until I get one. So I should be expecting something by next week this time hopefully for her to lay? THank ou so much for your help I appreciate it. This is just one thing I am knowledgable on but I dont have the personal experience yet.

welcome.
and yes, leave the towel, if they start to dig and see you, they may stop. and that can cause egg binding.

just mist her but stay far from her, so she cant see you, just the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom