veiled chams and calcium

So I just bought some cricket water bites and realized that they didn't have any calcium added into them. Would dusting my crickets in calcium be enough for my cham or should I return the bites and buy different ones? She is about 6 months old if it helps any.

I have never used get cricket bites...and never will.
IMHO, it's better to feed/gutload crickets, superworms, roaches, locusts with a wide assortment of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc...a natural diet.

Since most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous its important to dust them with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at most feedings to help make up for it.

It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene ( prOformed ) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A cannot build up in the system and lead to overdoses like prEformed sources can and will leave it up to you to decide whether the chameleon needs prEformed or not.

It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light.

Appropriate temperatures allow for proper digestion and thus indirectly play a role in the nutrient absorption.

My Cham won't eat if a feeder has been dusted. Any suggestions on getting him nutrients without dusting? Is gut loading a feeder my only option?

My Cham won't eat if a feeder has been dusted. Any suggestions on getting him nutrients without dusting? Is gut loading a feeder my only option?
How much dust is on the feeders? You may be putting to much on and it is off putting to your cham. Try dusting a little lighter and see if that works. What feeders are you using? You can maybe try a different feeder.

How much dust is on the feeders? You may be putting to much on and it is off putting to your cham. Try dusting a little lighter and see if that works. What feeders are you using? You can maybe try a different feeder.
Yeah maybe I'm putting too much on. I will try a little sprinkle and see if that helps. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom