Veiled Chameleon Drinking from Bowl?

I was in my room on my computer when I glanced over at my veiled chameleon. I noticed he was making his was down to the bottom of the cage. I continued to watch him and was shocked when I saw him drinking from a water dish. I have a dripper that collects in a bowl, and instead of drinking from the dripper, he was drinking from the bowl where the water collects?? Why is he doing this, PLEASE HELP!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, Juvenile sub adult

Handling -I handle him 1-2 times a month

Feeding - I feed my Veiled Crickets and Mealworms and occasionally superworms and hornworms. He will eats 12-20 a day.

Supplements - I dust using ReptiCal Calcium 4 times a week, ReptiCal D3 2 a month, and Herptivite 2 times a month.

Watering - I mist him with warm water 4 times a day (Cage), I use ReptiSafe to clean his water

Fecal Description -Solid brownish/black moist part with white urates

History -Sleeps on the top of his cage.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -Screen 24 x 24 x 36

Lighting - Lights go on at 9 AM And turn off at 9 PM, ReptiSun UVB 5.0 Mini,
75 Watt Basking Bulb

Temperature -I use a digital Therm, 73 at night, 88 at top of cage and ground at 76

Humidity - I mist 3-4 times a day, big dripper drips water all day that collects into a pan.

Plants - I use an pothos, parlor palm, money tree and 18-20 branches

Placement - Middle of the wall, NOT next to any vents.

Location - Near Indiana Illinios Wisconsin (That Region)

Current Problem -I see my chameleon drinking from the bowl where the dripper water collects

If there's water there, there's nothing wrong with him drinking from it so long as you keep it very clean!!!

Otherwise, I would just mist and leave more water so he's more prone to drink from the leaves

Some veiled chameleons do drink from bowls. Not nearly the typical behavior, though. I've seen some that are more interested in drinking from bowls with fish tank bubblers in them, but as it stands I see no reason for concern.

In my experience, when they go down to the dish to drink it means they are not getting enough water. Most of the time they will choose water on leaves before they go to the bottom to drink.

Some chameleons will drink from bowls if they are available. So if you have them you should ensure they are cleaned daily since the water can build up bacteria.

I only use misters so I don't have bowls, but I have seen chameleons in pet stores drink from bowls even when there is a dripper. My guess is they use it because it is easier than waiting for the water to drip :)

Back
Top Bottom