Veiled Chameleon Cage Size???

Emperor

I currently house two baby veileds together and plan on building another cage this weekend and separating them. I currently have a 2' x 2' x 4' cage which will be for the female only. I was thinking something around 3' x 3' x 5' for the male. Is this a good size? What would you guys recommend?

Let me first say, I do not have a veiled. Seems a little large for babies. I'm commenting on here to give the thread a little **bump** to see if we can attract a seasoned veiled owner. The care sheets for veileds on here says the cage you have now is the minimum size for an adult male so I think that would be great for your female, and the other size your looking into would, IMO be great for your male. I just don't know for babies. While we are waiting for some veiled experience to pop in, How old are they?

I'm not sure how old they are, I ordered them from LLLReptiles and they got here a week ago. I'd say they are about 4" head to tail. They are still very small and love to snack on pinheads.

If you are cup feeding them, then they can def go into cages that big at their size.

My recommendation, is just cup feed and put the cups near whereever they are basking at the time of feeding.

If you are cup feeding them, then they can def go into cages that big at their size.

My recommendation, is just cup feed and put the cups near whereever they are basking at the time of feeding.

Not sure if this is bad or not, but I always have a cup filled with 5-10 pinheads in the cup, so they can eat whenever thy want. Is it okay for me to continue with that, or should I have feeding schedules?

Not sure if this is bad or not, but I always have a cup filled with 5-10 pinheads in the cup, so they can eat whenever thy want. Is it okay for me to continue with that, or should I have feeding schedules?

I think they should probably be eating more. Please post some photos of them.

They need a schedule IMO. I don't let mine eat after one. This way they have time to digest. I've heard of chams eating at night too which is not good. So I'd remove any uneaten roamers before bed time.

Their cage (currently shared by both chameleons):
invjgp.jpg

Both of the chameleons are this size, this is the female:
6ptfur.jpg

The bottom of their cage:
14cdxzk.jpg

I'd take that substrate out ASAP. Just my opinion. And LOtS more foliage for them to hide.

Oh my goodness so tiny and cute!!!

Yes, remove the substrate, especially if your cup is sitting on the ground. You also need live plants. The few sticks you have won't cut it. You also need sticks that are arranged horizontally across the cage. I fasten them with thumbtacks through the screen. If you need help rearranging the cage I can def help, I have done it a lot of times.

I'd take that substrate out ASAP. Just my opinion. And LOtS more foliage for them to hide.

Oh my goodness so tiny and cute!!!

I plan on taking the substrate out this weekend once I build the new cage. I'm thinking about putting tiles for the floor. I just learned a couple days ago that substrate can be very harmful to chameleons.

Yes, remove the substrate, especially if your cup is sitting on the ground. You also need live plants. The few sticks you have won't cut it. You also need sticks that are arranged horizontally across the cage. I fasten them with thumbtacks through the screen. If you need help rearranging the cage I can def help, I have done it a lot of times.

I currently have 2 live plants in there, they'll grow larger over time. I have some fake vines I bought that I'll put in shortly. Some rearranging help would be awesome! :) What does your setup look like?

Their cage (currently shared by both chameleons):
invjgp.jpg

Like other have said, you should add more foliage and branches. You have so much open space near the top going unused. You can get branches outside, or buy cheap wooden dowels at the hardware store. Put a bunch going vertical and horizontal.

You could also get a cheap pothos with long vines from Walmart and hang it from the top. They definitely need more cover than what you've got. ;)

You have the advantage of a wooden frame where attaching branches and foliage is easy. You need more near the upper half of the cage. No sense in having a cage that tall if your chameleon can't access all of it.

The extra foliage will add hiding spots your chameleons need, and will keep the humidity in. The more full the cage is, the easier it is to control the climate inside of it.

Back
Top Bottom