veiled cham size update

kimmun

hey i just thoguht id give yous and update on my cham. i am still using the cloths around the tank which seems to help him. he is basking more and i have now seen him drink which i had never before. hes still not eating very much and i think hes just turned against crickets completly. i am taking him to the vet tomorrow but while i was on the phone she asked me to spell chameleon becuse she wasnt sure and said they didnt have any other chameleons registered at the vet. What do i do now? this is the only vet in 200 miles that has any thing to do with reptiles but has never seen a chameleon before. do i still take him?

Well thats unfortunate :confused:. But if I were you I would still go to the vet. I would also post questions on this forum and use it as a source for more opinions, since your vet may not be able to answer all your questions accurately :rolleyes:.

i live in the north east of scotland ( elgin ) and as far as im aware the nearst reptile vet is in glasgow. i was having a think yesterday because the guy in the pet shop told me that he has been using that vet for 15 years for his reptiles at the shop. my thought was that of course theres no chameleons registered because hes not going to take the time to register every reptile he takes there when they are not even his. so ill see when i get there and let you guys know how i get on.

ha ha wait till you guys hear this. I go to the vet today and he was basically one big joke, he basically repeated back to me every thing i said. he seemed more interested in finding out what lizards wud be good pets for his kids and also came to the conclusion that my chameleon is- wait for it- " The Runt of The Litter ". he said he looks very healthy. he doesnt see any bone disease. I wasnt happy with this consultation so i took gonzo straight to the pet shop where i got him and spoke to the guy who is the pertile keeper and he was more use. he also said that gonzo is very small for his age- should be at least 3 time his size. i told him that he eats on average 4 crickets a day and he said for his size that is ok. he said he does look very healthy, just small. i asked should i give him more worms and stuff to fatten him up and he said he doesnt need to be any fatter he just needs to grow. he gave me some high quality vitamin/ calcium powder to try out on him. again he doesnt think there is any think wrong with him just says he is small and told me he was going to speak to a few breeders and get thier verdict. what do you guys recon to all this then because im not totally confussed

ok i dont know much about other breeds of chameleons but is it possible that gonzo isnt actually a veiled chameleon and is some hting else instead. im only thinking this because theu guy in the pet shop jokingly said " maybes hes a rare dwarf breed" i know he was only joking but it did get me thinking. it wud explain why he is perfectly healthy, and the only problem being that he is just small.

ok i dont know much about other breeds of chameleons but is it possible that gonzo isnt actually a veiled chameleon and is some hting else instead. im only thinking this because theu guy in the pet shop jokingly said " maybes hes a rare dwarf breed" i know he was only joking but it did get me thinking. it wud explain why he is perfectly healthy, and the only problem being that he is just small.

Pictures would help, but i have heard of chameleons that are just small. Sometimes they are just the "runt" of the clutch other times it is cause by improper care during the chameleons younger years. I think that some mistakes i made during my guys younger years have cause him to be on the smaller side.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/vieled-chameleon-size-23674/#post210158 is a link to my other post where there is picture.
Thank you for the link im very sure it wud have been great help if i hadnt bought my chameleon a year ago and realised that a year later the vet who has been dealing with reptiles in my area wud leave. But never mind any help is appreciated. i know i have a healthy chameleon i just want to make sure not that he is or isnt a veiled chameleon so i know weather i have his requirements met or not.

i fed mine as much as he would eat at first.(15-25 large a day) I was told on this forum that could be bad. so i gradualy cut him down to 10-15.that was from age 5 months to 7 months. he is about 22" long now at 1 year old. this might be the reverse for you. it may have adapted to eating less.

Back
Top Bottom